klondike

Re: Kate and William

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote: Klondike:

Of course I know what a search engine is, and I use them often, :wink:
Not the impression I got over several years, but OK, fine
mrsl wrote:
before making fun of me
Never my intention to make fun of you, or anyone on these boards, MrsL.
mrsl wrote:
the following is the next line in my post: "I don't really care, it's just a rhetorical 'who'.
If you didn't "really care", why did you post several sentences about it in the first place?
mrsl wrote: Broadly, rhetorical 'who' means the question doesn't really require an answer,
Surprise: I do know exactly what the word rhetorical means (I learned it in 6th grade), and I also know when it's being misapplied and/or poorly used.
mrsl wrote: in fact no more than I care who the Black Eyed Peas are, other than something I boil with onions and bacon, and serve with cornbread. BTW, I capitalized because you did accepting them as a proper noun, which I assume you meant, not a vegetable.
Bully for you; the priorities that you assign to cultural media are, of course, entirely your own business - I just thought you might find it interesting to consider that the face, voice & achievements of singer/actress/songwriter/model/spokesperson Stacy Ferguson (of the pop-music band, The Black Eyed Peas) have far greater internataional recognition over the last five years than those of the former Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, who was last seen doing occasional weight-loss infomercials. Personally, I doubt that even Prince Andrew thinks about her much anymore.
mrsl wrote: I worked very hard at keeping my post from sounding snooty and uncaring about today's events.
Well, I'll take your word for it.
mrsl wrote: I did not want to sound like I was making fun of any of it.
Again, I never thought you were.
mrsl wrote:
I just wanted to give my opinion,
OK, and likewise, I was just trying to be helpful and friendly.
mrsl wrote: I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings about your original next door neighbors.
My feelings weren't hurt, and still aren't, but look, since you brought it up, let's get this straight & squared away: the English People, specifically, haven't been my "neighbors" since my triple-great-grandad shipped out of the port of Peterhead, Scotland on a British whaler in 1758, and since 1695, Scottish Jacobites (like my clan) had been extremely unpopular with their English cousins across the border to the south . . all water under the political bridge, anymore, as I'm sure Alison & Stuart can attest to . . . just please don't call an orange cat yellow til you see it in the daylight, 'kay? Or just don't comment at all, when you really don't need to.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Do you have a picture Wendy? I'll try to indentify the person for you.

Stuart, I didn't think the Queen got on with Tony Blair at all, or Margaret Thatcher either. I think she probably prefers her Primeministers on the quieter side, something that Blair and Thatcher could not be accused of. I think John Major was thought of quite well, he was unassuming and deferential. One would think the Royals are Tories rather than Labour voters but who knows. I'm not sure the Queen is fully connected to the lower classes, William and Harry are far more grounded in this way, all Diana's doing of course.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope you guys saw this video of the Verger at Westminster cartwheeling down the nave just after the royal wedding. Apparently the verger (a layman who helps the clergy prepare for services), has been "rebuked," told not to speak to the press, and "was feeling ‘fairly chastened’ after his impromptu acrobatic display was caught on film and shown to the world on ITV on the day of the ceremony." More power to you, buddy. You got into the real spirit.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The cartwheeling verger summed up the spirit of the occasion. Shame on the sourpusses, the strain for everything to go just right must have taken it's toll and the fact everything did go perfectly, he was just letting off steam. There's a policeman who has made the news too

[youtube][/youtube]

My Dad was watching the footage from 6am in the morning, he said the crowds were cheering the road sweepers at that time in the morning. It's not often you can get the level of feeling of happy emotion in a national event, it's great when it happens.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That guy cartwheeling is adorable! Yay! I think it's cute.

I don't have a picture of the woman with the rose outfit...I have been looking high and low for one. Now I wish I had recorded the whole thing. I think my rose girl was behind Gabriella Windsor and another woman (Windsor?) with a grey hat very much in the same style as Gabriella's...flat, wide brimmed and set at almost a right angle to her head... I think the grey one was sort of inverted.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:That guy cartwheeling is adorable! Yay! I think it's cute.
I agree with you Jack ...

charliechaplinfan - thanks for posting this ... this is something else. :lol:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Was the honeymoon cancelled because of security (that speculation about a trip to ancient Petra in Jordan sounded very romantic, but dicey right now due to unrest), or do you think that the newlyweds just want to get as far away from the hoopla as possible? I am tending toward the latter.

In other breaking media news, my favorite flower girl is in dire need of a nap or at least ear plugs. She is 3-year-old Grace Van Cutsem, the goddaughter of Prince William, (and a descendant of the Astors) who seems poised for media superstardom! Below, behold the many (cranky) faces of Grace as she goes from just worried to truly vexed! What a scene-stealer:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What do you suppose Kate was telling her, pointing like that?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:What do you suppose Kate was telling her, pointing like that?
"It's almost over, Grace. Just hang in there for a few more minutes and we'll head in for the ice cream."

"See those planes? They are bringing ice cream for the party."

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha! You obviously have a knack for keeping kids entertained. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I found another royal wedding...these photos to me are absolutely fascinating. One can see certain traditions adhered to, others, not so much.

Please forgive me if I am going too overboard... but once I get started reading about and looking at photos of the royal family, it's hard to stop.

http://jasongrech.wordpress.com/2010/04 ... e-of-york/

OK, is it me, or was Albert, Duke of York (later King George VI) one of the best looking Windsors ever?
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote:
OK, is it me, or was Albert, Duke of York (later King George VI) one of the best looking Windsors ever?
You're likely right, Wendy; I'll just add that he probably looked absolutely splendid to most Brits in years to come by simply not romancing any American divorcees!
feaito

Post by feaito »

How odd; so in spite of having been the descendant of a Scottish and an English King, and the daughter of a British Earl, by the British Law the Queen Mother was considered a commoner at the time of her marriage to the Duke of York?
klondike

Post by klondike »

I can't say why that is for sure, 'Nando, but I suspect it was from a weakening of expanding degrees over the centuries - Robert I of Scotland died in the mid 1300's, and Henry VII expired in the early 1500's.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, I didn't understand that either, Nando...