BATTLE OF THE BLONDES.

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

Re: BATTLE OF THE BLONDES.

Post by CineMaven »

[b][u]MOVIEMAN1957[/u][/b] wrote:Let me redeem myself a little by thanking you for what was obviously a time consuming task. Well done.
No redemption necessary MovieMan...You gave me a big :D
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[b][u][color=#0000FF]VECCHIOLARRY[/color][/u][/b] wrote:Great thread; thanks....I didn't know if we were supposed to vote for our favourite(s) or not; but I'll put in my 2 cents worth....I've always been in love with Ursula Andress and I'll stay loyal to her.
Aaaah yes. I saw ”DR. NO” when it first came out. A ‘seminal’ moment for many a young man. At least that’s what I gathered from the school cafeteria waaay back then.
Next I must mention Virna Lisi; I'd forgotten about her but your photo of her brought back my lustful memories of her in my younger days!!!
Ha! Aaaaah...memories! I just saw her in ”ASSAULT ON A QUEEN.” I remember her name in the 60’s, but seeing her in Sinatra’s movie opened my eyes.
I must stay loyal also to Lana, my neighbour in Malibu; lots of fun & beach tanning and scrambled eggs (the only thing we both knew how to cook!!)....
<< ( GULP! ) >> You scrambled eggs with Lana Turner?
A question: was Joan Fontaine a blonde or light brownette??? Should she be here or did I miss her?

Thanks again,
Larry
You’re very welcome Larry. I thought about Fontaine...wavered. But I didn’t quite see her as a blonde. More like a light brownette. But blondes would know better than I, if they’d welcome her into their fold.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Joan was a blonde in Ivanhoe...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanx. I think I'll leave Joanie out for now...since she was not really known as a blonde. Unless there's a big hue and cry for her. She'll go on my BATTLE OF THE BLONDES-Part Deux list. My gosh, I forgot to include so many. Stay tuned.

Now WHERE is Jezebel??? I sent some of the boys over to see her on page 1 of this thread??? And where is JackaaaaaAaaaaay Favell??? I haven't seen hide nor hair of her in days. :cry:

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Could Jacks be one of the ones without power from the massive storm last week?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Naaaaah. Probably just taking a much needed break. But I do want her to see Mongo's CANDIDS thread. There's a shot of the ol' Stone Face that is NOT to be believed. I wonder if it was Photoshopped.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I don't think it was photoshopped. He had to be in incredible physical condition to do all those stunts & pratfalls.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

CineMaven wrote: Now WHERE is Jezebel??? I sent some of the boys over to see her on page 1 of this thread???
Oh Sonny boy... never went for blonds until I saw him! I'd like to sit on his lap...NOT Sterling though, he is too macho.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm here! We didn't even lose power. I just needed to take a break from the boards for a while.

Hey! Great job, Maven! I love Eddie Haskell.

Is Richard Basehart a blonde? And I thought Don Taylor was a brunette.... but he's a cutie pie, so I won't complain!

The Esther Ralston photo toward the bottom is stunning! my absolute favorite photo.
Last edited by JackFavell on November 2nd, 2011, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

For what it's worth my favourite blondes, for their blonde locks alone

Jean Harlow
Marlene Dietrich
Grace Kelly
Marilyn Monroe
Julie Christie
Catherine Deneuve
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

oony oofs...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My favorite blondes are:

Marlene Dietrich
Carole Lombard
Jean Arthur
Joan Blondell
Glenda Farrell
Jean Harlow
Gloria Grahame
Helen Walker
Judy Holliday
Claire Trevor
Una Merkel

Miriam Hopkins
Virginia Mayo
Priscilla Lane

Isabel Jewell
Alice Faye
Carole Landis
Myrna Dell
Madeleine Carroll
Carroll Baker
Inger Stevens
Barbara Bel Geddes
Hope Lange

And thanks for the wonderful picture of little ANN CARTER who deserves her own category.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[b][u][color=#0040BF]Jezebel38[/color][/u][/b] wrote:Oh Sonny boy... never went for blonds until I saw him! I'd like to sit on his lap...NOT Sterling though, he is too macho.
Too macho?? Okay Jezebel, come clean. Why do you like Sonny so much. (Forgive me if you’ve told the story before...I’m just a recent devotee to this oasis). I loved Sonny opposite Paulette Goddard in ”So Proudly We Hail.”
[b][u][color=#408000]RedRiver[/color][/u][/b] wrote:oony oofs...
Alright you!!
[color=#800000]charliechaplinfan[/color] wrote:For what it's worth my favourite blondes, for their blonde locks alone: Jean Harlow, Marlene Dietrich, Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe, Julie Christie, Catherine Deneuve.
I like the actresses on your list, Charlie. I’ll give you my list below. Always loved Julie Christie.
[b][u]JackFavell[/u][/b] wrote:Hey! Great job, Maven! I love Eddie Haskell. Is Richard Basehart a blonde? And I thought Don Taylor was a brunette.... but he's a cutie pie, so I won't complain! The Esther Ralston photo toward the bottom is stunning! my absolute favorite photo.
Good to see ya...uhmmmm, read ya. And thank you so much. You’re probably right about Don Taylor...but his hair was kind of sandy, no? He wasn’t dark like Montgomery Clift. And he is such a cutie pie. I love him. I think we were married in another life. No wait...I think I was his maid. Or was that a little French maid outfit? But nevermind...he is a cutie as well. Thank you for noticing Esther Ralston. I tell you, she absolutely blew my mind in Crawford’s ”SADIE McKEE.” She seemed so modern. Really, I was floored.

Image Image Image
My favorite blondes are...And thanks for the wonderful picture of little ANN CARTER who deserves her own category.
She’s one of the prettiest little girls I’ve ever seen. But looking at your list of blondes...I didn’t notice MARILYN. Oversight, or don’t you really care for her?

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

MY FAVORITE BLONDES:

Image 1. DORIS DAY

Bubbly, sunny, fresh-scrubbed sexy. Will make you smile if you're open to it. She can sing & dance, and do drama, comedy or musicals. Very well.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "SEND ME NO FLOWERS"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME"

Image 2. LIZABETH SCOTT

Pouty, victim, can betray if Noir asks her to. Great voice. Great hair. I'll take her either way.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "TOO LATE FOR TEARS"

Image 3. GLORIA GRAHAME

Sexy vixen. Very feline. Oftentimes victimized. Love her cocky confidence.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "IN A LONELY PLACE"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "CROSSFIRE"

Image 4. KIM NOVAK

She's a blonde from another world...that's why she speaks as though she were out of breath. Earthy. Enigmatic. Even as a housewife. She's different.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "VERTIGO"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "VERTIGO"

Image 5. JEAN HARLOW

THE FIRST...THE PROTOTYPE. THE PLATINUM BLONDE. No one more vivacious than Harlow. She can be a pal too. But what guy would want her for a pal? This gal's got a great sense of humor about herself. Gone too soon.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "LIBELED LADY" / "BOMBSHELL"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "BOMBSHELL"

Image 6. DOROTHY MALONE

She's no kewpie doll or coquette. A real woman. If she wants you, you'll know it. If she doesn't...you'll know it. A good solid actress. Jumped for joy by her cameo in "Basic Instinct" just to see her again. Used to watch her as a kid on "Peyton Place" and then discovered, 'she used to make movies?!'

MY FAVORITE FILM: "WRITTEN ON THE WIND" / "WARLOCK"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "THE TARNISHED ANGELS"

(Well, I'm not all the way being truthful...she was great in that over-the-top way in "...Wind").

Image 7. MARILYN MONROE

Have no fear at my placing Marilyn 7th on my list of faves. I know she's the Queen. It's just that she's not an easy watch. I must be ready for her pathos and sensitivity or I'll be an emotional wreck. ("Bus Stop" and nice job in "Don't Bother to Knock"). Probably will never be given true credit for her talent. Could do comedy very well. To be MARILYN in the 1950’s...goodness. She owned the world. Who could handle that? Saw a photo exhibit of her at Brooklyn Museum a few years ago. Walls and walls and walls of Marilyn. Overwhelming.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "NIAGARA"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "THE MISFITS"

Image 8. HELEN WALKER

No, she's not one of those top-tiered blondes. Career cut short. But in one role, she made me a devotee. She always seems a smart cookie to me. A little imperious. Oh she was cute and silly in "Cluny Brown." But give me Walker straight up, and ice-cold. Yeeeup.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "NIGHTMARE ALLEY" / "IMPACT"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "NIGHTMARE ALLEY"

Image 9. ANNE FRANCIS

"Go West, young man. Gohhhhhhh 'Honey West' the ad said. Sigh! It left young girls of 13 out of the loop for adventure. But I still liked her and admired her for being in control of things. Feline, smart, confident. A little haughty. She had an air about her I've always liked.

MY FAVORITE FILM / HER BEST PERFORMANCE: ANYTHING.
MY FRIEND MARVIN'S FAVORITE FILM: "FORBIDDEN PLANET" Uhmmmm...he said he liked the special effects, too.

Image 10. CATHERINE DENEUVE

Sophistication, class, beauty, sensuous. She's all that and a bag of chips and really has become quite the character actress.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "THE HUNGER"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: To be honest, je ne sais pas. I guess I'll just have to struggle along, watching her work to discover that. Tough job...but some buff's gotta do it.

Image 11. GINGER ROGERS

She looks like she's fun. And her dancing with Fred Astaire is sublime. She's got snap and pizzazz. Ginger has great comic timing. And not afraid to change her hair color either.

MY FAVORITE FILM/HER BEST PERFORMANCE: It's all a mish-mash for me what with "Swing Time" and "Stage Door" and "The Major and the Minor." ( I accept the premise ). And though I didn't care for the movie, the way she slapped that girl around in "Vivacious Lady" showed spunk.

Image 12. CAROLE LOMBARD

Queen of screwball comedy. Would take a dramatic turn every once in a while, but her forte was clearly comedy. Swore like a sailor I heard. Down to earth. That's her +real +appeal for me. Beautiful. Also known as Mrs. Clark Gable. < ( Sigh! ) > That...and a career too. Some girls have all the luck.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "TWENTIETH CENTURY"
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: "TWENTIETH CENTURY"

*Not a big fan of screwball but its manic heights wins me over.

Image 13. GRACE KELLY

Poised, pretty, elegant. What a string of hits and leading men she had. Then what does she do? She up and marries and leaves her career behind. What an exit. I’ve liked her in the majority of films she did. What a class act.

MY FAVORITE FILM: ”REAR WINDOW”
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: ”THE COUNTRY GIRL”

Image 14. EVA MARIE SAINT

I think she is a character actor wrapped up in a blonde. She’s another one I just want to see what she does.

MY FAVORITE FILM / HER BEST PERFORMANCE: Nothing in particular. Just like the cut of her jib.

Image 15. JOAN BLONDELL

WOW!!! What energy. You’re going to have a raucous good time with Joanie. Can’t you tell? You can't out-talk her. You just can't. She propped up every leading man her 1930’s contract threw at her. The 1930’s...that was HER TIME. Oh Joanie... what big eyes you have. The better for us to see you with.

MY FAVORITE FILM: “CRY ‘HAVOC’” / “STAND-IN”
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: ”NIGHTMARE ALLEY”

Image 16. LANA TURNER

Probably THE blonde of the 1940’s. (Started off as a redhead, I think). Yes there was Betty Grable, but really...think about it. Seeeee? Lana was white hot. Kind of M-G-M pouty actressy... but that’s okay. She was a party girl, sexy...had some great leading men. Gable for one...and two and three. Lana was damned good at what she did. Her looks matured and morphed. She was still a star in the 1950’s. Lana. Even her name sounds glamorous.

MY FAVORITE FILM: ”THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE”
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: ”MADAME X”

Image 17. CLAIRE TREVOR

If you were standing in a pea-soup thick fog...blindfolded, Trevor's voice is quite distinctive. I admit I haven’t seen alot of her work...but I’m willing to. I like what I have seen. (”Stagecoach” “Born to Kill” “Dead End” etc.) Western...noir... urban landscape. She’s a chameleon. A character actor.

MY FAVORITE FILM: ”MURDER, MY SWEET”
HER BEST PERFORMANCE: ”KEY LARGO”

Image 18. PRISCILLA LANE

Awwwww, I think she’s sweet. A good foil for Garfield. Girl next door. Voice like maple syrup. And she was one of Hitchcock’s blondes. I think she carried it off pretty good. (Okay...okay, so don’t look at Robert Cummings).

MY FAVORITE FILM: ”FOUR DAUGHTERS”

Image 19. ALICE FAYE

Never liked the sopranos as much as the contraltos. Her musical “The Gang’s All Here” lifted me out of my doldrums once. Ever sensible...I thought she had a lot of weight as an actress that she was beginning to explore in drama when she walked out of Twentieth Century Fox and didn’t look back for twenty years. She makes me smile.

MY FAVORITE FILM: "FALLEN ANGEL"

Image 20. JULIE CHRISTIE*

I’ve liked her since I was a kid. Cool. Mod. Never disappoints. Saw her recently in “Away From Her” and forty odd years later, she STILL does not disappoint. I’ve enjoyed her in “Heaven Can Wait” “Shampoo” “Don’t Look Now” “Far From the Madding Crowd.” Even the execrable but fun “Demon Seed” could tarnish her. I like her in just about everything I’ve seen her in. (...But will avoid “McCabe & Mrs. Miller”).

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CineMaven ... Very Impressive Line-Up! Many of them that you've listed here are my favorites! I like your choices and by the way thank you for taking the time to putting it all together like this :!: