The British New Wave--March 2012 on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

Re: The British New Wave--March 2012 on TCM

Post by CineMaven »

Saw this sign at a bus stop in the Village. Thought of you, Allison:

I had "Term of Trial" on in the background. Thought Olivier with Signoret had a kind of a heat together; was in shock at tht twist that he did do the things that the student said; was in double shock that Simone takes Olivier back once she finds out he has done those things.

Whoa!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think he lied to her at the end, I still don't think he did it. I think he lied to keep Simone.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:shock: Oh-hoooooh!! I like that. I like that even better!! Dang, I should have paid more attention.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's left hanging, so you don't really know... his last line was something cryptic, meant to leave you up in the air. But I got the impression he lied to her, he knew Simone's nature so well, and at that point he had nothing to lose by trying it out on her. Sort of like a double double cross. A lie to preserve his marriage, only it's not the lie we think it should be! Very clever. I really liked this movie for that very reason, because it all comes down to the nature of his character...we really can never know what was in his mind. we're meant to draw our own conclusions.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

CineMaven wrote:Saw this sign at a bus stop in the Village. Thought of you, Allison:

I had "Term of Trial" on in the background. Thought Olivier with Signoret had a kind of a heat together; was in shock at tht twist that he did do the things that the student said; was in double shock that Simone takes Olivier back once she finds out he has done those things.

Whoa!
I love that poster. It's really our year this year, the jubilee (how excited are the kids, we have Union Jacks all over the house, bunting everywhere ready to go up) learning the words to the national anthem (school doesn't teach them this!!!) all we need is the good weather. Not always guaranteed here.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin