The British New Wave--March 2012 on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: The British New Wave--March 2012 on TCM

Post by JackFavell »

I'm really looking forward to Morgan!, The L Shaped Room, and Petulia.... I think I've seen all the others. Oh, that's right, I haven't seen A Kind of Loving either.

The Knack is just great, it's so irreverent, the editing is super. I love the way it looks. The Servant is sensational, though I will probably skip that one - I have to be in the right mood for it. Same with The Entertainer.

I remember seeing Seance on a Wet Afternoon and being icaptivated with it when I was young. I hope it's still good.

I cannot bear Rita Tushingham. I'm sorry! Moira, don't try to convince me I'm wrong, I just can't watch her! :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I cannot bear Rita Tushingham. I'm sorry! Moira, don't try to convince me I'm wrong, I just can't watch her! :D
I like her in some things, but not all, JF.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Please everyone watch A Kind of Loving for me, it's filmed around here which is a bonus but it's a lovely movie, one of my favourites.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's the main reason I'm watching, Allison! :D
charliechaplinfan

It's a good reason. I could watch many of these movies again, there's only a couple I haven't seen before, many of them I'd like to watch again.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"Seance on a Wet Afternoon" is very good.

I see that "Hell is a City" is being shown early this morning. It is a terrific British police drama. Very powerful. A movie that should be better known.
charliechaplinfan

Hell is a City is a great movie, I haven't seen Girl With the Green Eyes. A Taste of Honey is worth a look and The L Shaped Room is Leslie Caron away from the trappings of Hollywood, she's very good.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. It's my favorite of the new wave films, along with This Sporting Life. Frankly they are very similar.

I saw Morgan last when I was a teen, and I thought it was great then... maybe when you are young, David Warner seems really cool. Now not so much. I think he's a very good actor, but his turn in Time After Time spoilt him for me. Ever since then I immediately envision him as Jack the Ripper.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Tonight's lineup includes the films shown below on TCM:

8:00 PM
Kes (1970)
A young man finds escape from his working-class life training a pet falcon.
Dir: Kenneth Loach Cast: David Bradley , Lynne Perrie , Freddie Fletcher .
C-111 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

10:00 PM
Darling (1965)
A young beauty sacrifices love and happiness to become an international celebrity.
Dir: John Schlesinger Cast: Julie Christie , Dirk Bogarde , Laurence Harvey .
BW-126 mins, TV-MA, CC,

12:15 AM
Pumpkin Eater, The (1964)
A woman drifts through multiple marriages in search of stability.
Dir: Jack Clayton Cast: Anne Bancroft , Peter Finch , James Mason .
BW-110 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

2:30 AM
Knack...And How To Get It, The (1965)
A rampant womanizer tries to help an innocent friend bed an eccentric girl.
Dir: Richard Lester Cast: Rita Tushingham , Ray Brooks , Michael Crawford .
BW-85 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

4:00 AM
Petulia (1968)
A married doctor falls for the young wife of an abusive rich man.
Dir: Richard Lester Cast: Julie Christie , George C. Scott , Richard Chamberlain .
C-105 mins, TV-MA, CC, Letterbox Format
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

kingrat,

How'd you like Term of Trial?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha!

I realized I have to be in the mood for Bedazzled, this time it struck me (literally) as so sledgehammery that some of the more funny stuff just comes off like poor Dudley's plea for love. Other times I have loved it.

I like The Knack, I think partly because it's dated. There is something very interesting to me about watching that time period and the ideas in the film. I know it sounds weird, but I feel the same way about Blow Up. It's like a slice of 1965 or 1966. They both feel like a turning point in movies, having to do with rather juvenile men, but the films were becoming more adult or something. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I really liked Term of Trial, which I'd never seen before. The performances were all around perfect, and though the story was somewhat predictable, I loved the ending with Simone Signoret and Olivier pulling a George and Martha reversal. God, Signoret was a great actress. I find her more and more fascinating as I get older. Olivier is at his best here, with no fancy stuff going on.