This week on SVENGOOLIE...

TikiSoo

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by TikiSoo »

I was so looking forward to seeing a movie with William Shatner I haven't seen before. I fell asleep after the second commercial break.
WAH!
At least I got to see him in tight jeans riding a horse. His jumping to mount technique was pretty agile, impressive.
I wanted to see him battle the spiders! Let's hope there will be a repeat.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Yay! I searched and found KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS streaming as a Rifftrax on Pluto! It was actually preferable, the movie is such a stinker, it needed snarky commentary.

The doomed ending actually came as a complete surprise.

This movie doesn't deserve to survive, although the poster rules-
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 7:02 am Yay! I searched and found KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS streaming as a Rifftrax on Pluto! It was actually preferable, the movie is such a stinker, it needed snarky commentary.

Powerful overacting transcends the moving image - it comes through clearly in still images...
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

txfilmfan wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:59 am
TikiSoo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 7:02 am Yay! I searched and found KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS streaming as a Rifftrax on Pluto! It was actually preferable, the movie is such a stinker, it needed snarky commentary.

Powerful overacting transcends the moving image - it comes through clearly in still images...
Hey, that is pose #4 that William learned in the Ron Steiger drama school.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:59 am Image
[/quote]

Am I the only one who thinks the angle/juxtaposition of the huge flaming torch is funny? Especially funny coupled with with his hands & facial expression.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

txfilmfan wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:59 am

"KHAAANNNN!"
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 12:03 pm ...Am I the only one who thinks the angle/juxtaposition of the huge flaming torch is funny? Especially funny coupled with with his hands & facial expression.
OUCH!!! Hee hee hee.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

And later on Lost In Space is "My Friend, Mr. Nobody."
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Allhallowsday wrote: November 18th, 2023, 10:16 pm
TikiSoo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 12:03 pm ...Am I the only one who thinks the angle/juxtaposition of the huge flaming torch is funny? Especially funny coupled with with his hands & facial expression.
OUCH!!! Hee hee hee.
Thanks Allhallowsday, for a minute I thought I may be the only one with a dirty mind ;)

This week's movie was AI's EMPIRE OF THE ANTS starring Joan Collins. What a YAWN.
Next week the old House on Haunted Hill. Really? How many times are we going to see this?

On another note, I DO really like the two extra charactors they've added, presumably to take Sven's mantle so he can retire. One is a goofy Nosferatu and the other a sexy vampire sort of charactor. I think they were great choices!
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

12/2: Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) w/ Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Glenda Farrell and Franke McHugh. And directed by Michael Curtiz.

12/9: The Raven (1963) w/ Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Hazel Court, Olive Sturgess and Jack Nicholson. Screenplay by Richard Matheson. And directed by Roger Corman.

12/16: The Night Walker (1964) w/ Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor, Judith Meredith and Lloyd Bochner. Plus Hayden Rorke. Screenplay by Robert Block. And directed by William Castle.

12/23: The Black Cat (1941) w/ Basil Rathbone, Hugh Herbert, Broderick Crawford and Bela Lugosi. Plus Gale Sondergaard, Anne Gwynne, Gladys Cooper, Cecilia Loftus and Claire Dodd. And Alan Ladd.

12/30: The Undead (1957) w/ Pamela Duncan, Richard Garland and Allison Hayes. Plus Val Dufour and Mel Welles. And Billy Barty and Dick Miller. And directed by Roger Corman.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: December 1st, 2023, 3:55 pm This month on Svengoolie...

12/2: Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) w/ Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Glenda Farrell and Franke McHugh. And directed by Michael Curtiz.

12/9: The Raven (1963) w/ Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Hazel Court, Olive Sturgess and Jack Nicholson. Screenplay by Richard Matheson. And directed by Roger Corman.

12/16: The Night Walker (1964) w/ Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor, Judith Meredith and Lloyd Bochner. Plus Hayden Rorke. Screenplay by Robert Block. And directed by William Castle.

12/23: The Black Cat (1941) w/ Basil Rathbone, Hugh Herbert, Broderick Crawford and Bela Lugosi. Plus Gale Sondergaard, Anne Gwynne, Gladys Cooper, Cecilia Loftus and Claire Dodd. And Alan Ladd.

12/30: The Undead (1957) w/ Pamela Duncan, Richard Garland and Allison Hayes. Plus Val Dufour and Mel Welles. And Billy Barty and Dick Miller. And directed by Roger Corman.
The Undead! One of my favorite Roger Corman movies! And from that great year for horror, 1957.

LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Swithin wrote: December 1st, 2023, 4:33 pm The Undead! One of my favorite Roger Corman movies! And from that great year for horror, 1957.
A rare occasion that Svengoolie presents a movie that I have not seen before. Knowing that you like it is sufficient for me to try and rectify that omission.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 6:29 pm
Swithin wrote: December 1st, 2023, 4:33 pm The Undead! One of my favorite Roger Corman movies! And from that great year for horror, 1957.
A rare occasion that Svengoolie presents a movie that I have not seen before. Knowing that you like it is sufficient for me to try and rectify that omission.
It's a crazy film, inspired in part by the Bridey Murphy craze of the time. The Wikipedia entry for the film is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Undead_(film)

Mel Welles plays Smolkin the gravedigger in The Undead. A few years later, he played Gravis Mushnick in Little Shop of Horrors, also for Corman.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

THE NIGHT WALKER is scary!

Reunites Missy and beloved ex-hubby Robert Taylor, although I haven't seen this in some time to recall if their pairing was part of the creep factor.

I do, however, remember that twirling chandelier.......
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I saw part of The Raven last night, I caught some of Sven's trivia. He did mention there was some tension between Peter Lorre and Jack Nicholson. I read an interview with Nicholson where he said "Roger (Corman) gave me one direction, be as funny as Lorre, Karloff and Price. I loved those guys."

I don't know if much was mentioned about Hazel Court, who played Price's devious wife. I met her many years ago at a horror movie convention and got her autograph. I had heard that Peter Lorre constantly pinched her behind and I asked her if it was true. She laughed and said "Yessss! He was such a little devil!"

the film is one of my favorites of the 3 horror legends. Did anyone see it last night? Any other good trivia? What do you think of the film?