This week on SVENGOOLIE...

LiamCasey

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by LiamCasey »

And for the rest of the month...

12/10: Creature with the Atom Brain (1955) w/ Richard Denning and Angela Stevens

12/17: Invisible Agent (1942) w/ Ilona Massey, Jon Hall, Peter Lorre, Sir Cedric Hardwick, J. Edward Bromberg, John Litel, Albert Basserman and Keye Luke

12/24: Abbott and Costelloe Meet the Invisible Man (1951) w/ Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Nancy Guild, Adele Jergens, Arthur Franz, William Frawley and Sheldon Leonard

21/31: Earth vs the Spider (1958) w/ Edward Kemmer, June Kenny and Gene Persson
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:59 am On Svengoolie tomorrow, December 3, 2022:
The Raven (1935)
The Raven is the first of the Karloff-Lugosi collaborations in which Bela had the meatier role and was truly the star of the movie*, despite Boris' top billing. He attacked his role as the insane Dr. Richard Vollin . . .

"NO! I am the sanest man who ever lived!"

. . . with gusto and gave a hilariously over the top performance that -- depending on one's taste -- either lifts or sinks The Raven

Reports that The Raven was responsible for the hiatus on horror film production -- because of a ban by the British Board of Film Censors -- are greatly exaggerated and untrue, according to the Spooky Isles report The Horror Film Hiatus of 1936-1938.

* In Son of Frankenstein, Bela Lugosi also outshone his better paid, more highly regarded (by Universal Pictures) "rival" as the crafty Ygor.
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 5th, 2022, 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I like the lips of Lugosi.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Boris: "Maybe if a man is ugly, he does ugly things..."
Bela: "You...are...saying...something...profound"
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:02 pm I like the lips of Lugosi.
I sense the makings of a song . . .

(To the tune of Bette Davis Eyes)

He's got Bela Lugosi Lips . . .
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

EP Millstone wrote: December 5th, 2022, 10:55 am

This is a true story, and I don’t tell many of those, but I never paid much attention to lips on a man, some are thin and some are thick. It is he smokes a cigarette and drinks a drink. So, my third or fourth day on the job as front desk clerk at the hotel one of the maids, Mary Piquette, comes up to the desk and tells me, with conviction, looking me straight in eye, and says, “Thompson, you have murderer’s lips.”
Last edited by Thompson on December 6th, 2022, 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:49 pm

This is a true story, and I don’t tell many of these, but I never paid much attention to lips on a man, some are thin and some are thick. It is how you smoke a cigarette and drink a drink. So, my third or fourth day on the job as front desk clerk at the hotel one of the maids comes up to the desk and tells me, with conviction, looking me straight in eye, and says, “Thompson, you have murderer’s lips.”
Are you saying you don't tell many stories, or, are you saying you tell many stories, but just not many true ones?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:49 pm This is a true story, and I don’t tell many of these, but I never paid much attention to lips on a man, some are thin and some are thick. It is how you smoke a cigarette and drink a drink. So, my third or fourth day on the job as front desk clerk at the hotel one of the maids comes up to the desk and tells me, with conviction, looking me straight in eye, and says, “Thompson, you have murderer’s lips.”
. . . and did she plead, "Kiss Me, Deadly!"?
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

EP Millstone wrote: December 6th, 2022, 6:54 pm
Thompson wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:49 pm This is a true story, and I don’t tell many of these, but I never paid much attention to lips on a man, some are thin and some are thick. It is how you smoke a cigarette and drink a drink. So, my third or fourth day on the job as front desk clerk at the hotel one of the maids comes up to the desk and tells me, with conviction, looking me straight in eye, and says, “Thompson, you have murderer’s lips.”
. . . and did she plead, "Kiss Me, Deadly!"?
No, but she did corner the bell captain in the maid shed and showed him her ruby red drawers. Everybody was a little afraid of Mary Piquette and her ruby red drawers.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:51 pm

This is a true story, and I don’t tell many of these, but I never paid much attention to lips on a man, some are thin and some are thick. It is how you smoke a cigarette and drink a drink. So, my third or fourth day on the job as front desk clerk at the hotel one of the maids comes up to the desk and tells me, with conviction, looking me straight in eye, and says, “Thompson, you have murderer’s lips.”
Are you saying you don't tell many stories, or, are you saying you tell many stories, but just not many true ones?
Yes, not many true ones. The true ones don’t seem as true as the made up ones. Love your avatar of Cagney, I didn’t know about his hobby. He frets that Martin like a pro.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Mary Piquette got into trouble later on when she failed to inform the proper authorities that her poor old dad bit the dust years ago yet she kept cashing the old geezer’s social security check every month.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Don't know if I've ever seen this one scheduled this Saturday:

"Creature With The Atom Brain" sounds like a real stinker...but I'll give it a try...
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: December 6th, 2022, 9:45 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:51 pm

Yes, not many true ones. The true ones don’t seem as true as the made up ones. Love your avatar of Cagney, I didn’t know about his hobby. He frets that Martin like a pro.
I haven't heard Cagney actually play. I really wonder what type of songs he would play. I love the old jazz standards; music from the era when Cagney was playing and making movies. But he was an old Irish soul so maybe he just played mostly Irish folk tunes.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Watching until the end.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

There seemed a time when everybody had a Svengoolie, I had Igor in Moline and Thriftown had Igor and Santa at the same time and nobody was in line for Santa but Igor’s line was around the block. I was proud as punch to wear my Igor sweatshirt. Here in New Orleans we had Morgus and Chopsley along with that sex kitten Elvira. Now I guess we’re just stuck with Svengoolie, but he’s got a sense of style and knows his stuff, so quit bellyaching.