This week on SVENGOOLIE...

EP Millstone

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:41 pm Again, another AIP this week. BLOOD OF DRACULA 1957.
Blood of Dracula is the distaff installment in the quintet of teenage monster movies produced by Herman Cohen, written by Aben Kandel, and directed by Herbert L. Strock, Gene Fowler, Jr., and Arthur Crabtree. The remaining quartet of flicks include I Was a Teenage Werewolf (directed by Fowler), I Was a Teenage Frankenstein and How to Make a Monster (ruddered by Strock), and Horrors of the Black Museum (helmed by Crabtree).

Writer Kandel lazily milked the formula he concocted for Teenage Werewolf: an older, authority figure dominates a young subordinate, turning his/her submissive victim into a monster, which he/she uses for murderous purposes. Miss Branding (Louise Lewis) in Blood of Dracula is the spiritually sinister "sibling" of Dr. Brandon in Teenage Werewolf and Dr. Frankenstein in Teenage Frankenstein (Whit Bissell), Pete Dumond (Robert H. Harris) in How to Make a Monster), and Edmond Bancroft (Michael Gough) in Black Museum.

Takeaway Moral of the Stories: Never trust anyone over thirty twenty.
Last edited by EP Millstone on March 29th, 2023, 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

TikiSoo wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:41 pm Again, another AIP this week. BLOOD OF DRACULA 1957. It was pretty cool and atmospheric at times, petty cool crazy teeth on the school girl. It was an interesting take on teen vampires.
And as a bonus it has that awesome 'Puppy Love' song performed in it!

I made a post of it a while back in the Songs in Horror Films thread, here: (it's currently the last post in the thread)
viewtopic.php?t=7300&start=30
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Definite Lesbian vibes in Blood of Dracula.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Hibi wrote: March 30th, 2023, 8:49 am Definite Lesbian vibes in Blood of Dracula.
For sure. Although, somehow I have the feeling that female vampires are bisexual.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The first lesbian possibly bi-sexual female vampire was Countess Zaleska in Dracula's Daughter (1936), the first horror movie I ever saw, on Shock Theater in the late 1950s. Still one of my favorite horror films.

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

She actually looks like she could be Bela's kid.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:47 pm She actually looks like she could be Bela's kid.
The actress, Gloria Holden, gave her name to William Holden. Her ex-husband helped discover William Beadle and renamed him for his former wife.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:39 pm The first lesbian possibly bi-sexual female vampire was Countess Zaleska in Dracula's Daughter (1936), the first horror movie I ever saw, on Shock Theater in the late 1950s. Still one of my favorite horror films.

At first glance, I thought she was Neva Patterson.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

4/1: Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955) w/ Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Plus Marie Windsor, Michael Ansara, Dan Seymour and Richard Deacon. And directed by Charles Lamont.

4/8: The Old Dark House (1932) w/ Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton, Gloria Stuart, Lilian Bond, Ernest Thesiger, Eva Moore, Raymond Massey, Elspeth Dudgeon and Brember Wills. And directed by James Whale.

4/15: This Island Earth (1955) w/ Jeff Morrow, Faith Domergue and Rex Reason. Plus Russell Johnson and Richard Deacon.

4/22: The Mole People (1956) w/ John Agar, Cynthia Patrick, Hugh Beaumont, Alan Napier and Nestor Paiva.

4/29: Destroy All Monsters (1969) w/ Akira Kubo, Jun Tazaki, Yukiko Kobayashi and Yoshio Tsuchiya. And, needless to say, Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah and other kaiju. And directed by Ishirō Honda.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LiamCasey wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:41 am 4/22: The Mole People (1956) w/ John Agar, Cynthia Patrick, Hugh Beaumont, Alan Napier and Nestor Paiva.
I was surprised to see a news item this week about a remake being fast-tracked at Universal:

https://deadline.com/2023/03/the-mole-p ... 235311775/
Watching until the end.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LawrenceA wrote: April 1st, 2023, 1:29 pm I was surprised to see a news item this week about a remake being fast-tracked at Universal
Thanks! Yes, very surprising. Guess someone thinks cgi will be better than guys in rubber costumes.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

ziggy6708a wrote: April 8th, 2023, 4:08 am

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
This is one of the greats, based on a play by J.B. Priestley, and an excellent choice with which to introduce the horror genre to nonbelievers.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:42 pm This is one of the greats, based on a play by J.B. Priestley, and an excellent choice with which to introduce the horror genre to nonbelievers.
Nonbelievers in horror?

I guess The Old Dark House is considered a horror film because it was produced by Universal Pictures (which arguably created the American Horror Film genre) and because Boris Karloff is in it. His character, Morgan, is not a monster and not even monstrous looking. But he's played by "Frankenstein" and moves like Frankenstein, ergo, he's the story's "monster."

The real monster is a diminutive, rather hircine pyromaniac, chillingly portrayed by Brember_Wills. It is his fiendish presence that creates an atmosphere of dread and terror within the gloomy, shadowy refuge.

To me, The Old Dark House is more a black comedy. With one exception, the residents of The House of Femm are harmless, comparatively eccentric, and not really horrific or evil.

First-time viewers: Pay close attention to "Sir Roderick Femm" -- a case of inspired gender-bender casting!

Other Recommendations for People Who Aren't Interested In/Don't Care for Horror Films

Burn Witch, Burn (AKA NIght of the Eagle)
Carnival of Souls
The Haunting
The Innocents
The Mephisto Waltz
Rosemary's Baby
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields