This week on SVENGOOLIE...

TikiSoo

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by TikiSoo »

This week the treat came during the 6p-8p THREE STOOGES shorts before Svengoolie-

They aired the 1934 musical novelty THE WOMAN HATERS featuring the absolutely adorable Marjorie White.
It was the first of the Stooges appearances without Ted Healy and featured a lot of hand slaps-even from the gal! The entire short is spoken & sung in verse and was incredibly charming.
A real treat to see all three Stooges so young (approx 30 y/o) and rather arresting to see Curly with hair, still very short.

I slept through the Svengoolie movie.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: December 12th, 2022, 7:12 am This week the treat came during the 6p-8p THREE STOOGES shorts before Svengoolie-

They aired the 1934 musical novelty THE WOMAN HATERS featuring the absolutely adorable Marjorie White.
It was the first of the Stooges appearances without Ted Healy and featured a lot of hand slaps-even from the gal! The entire short is spoken & sung in verse and was incredibly charming.
A real treat to see all three Stooges so young (approx 30 y/o) and rather arresting to see Curly with hair, still very short.

I slept through the Svengoolie movie.
I watched the Stooges and I saw that musical The Woman Haters. A good film and Marjorie White was a peach.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:headbang:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I was surprised to find that this movie was new to me. Sadly, I fell asleep and missed the entire thing. That's OK, it'll repeat in another few months.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_huh:

does this mean the dumb**** Sventoonie is GONE!??
:smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 30th, 2022, 11:10 pm does this mean the dumb**** Sventoonie is GONE!??
:smiley_clap:
Thanks for the signature, Ziggy/666. I thought "they hate Sventoonie over here too!?" then realized it was you.

I certainly hope he's died a fishy stinky death. I've been enjoying the 3 Stooges more and Svengoolie movies less. Well actually since I now work Saturdays, been falling asleep during Sven's movies.
Woo- another fun New Years Eve alone with my lentil soup, pickled herring & champagne.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Was NOT DISAPPOINTED with last night's Stooges - it was if they decided to show the best shorts!

I couldn't BELIEVE a very young, blonde Lucille Ball was in 1934's THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS! Although I arrived home too late to see the children versions of the 3 Stooges. It was only the Stooges 2nd year making shorts without Healy
Then they showed 1938's VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY that contains my very favorite childhood memory "Swinging' To The Alphabet" song. Directed by Charley Chase!
The others shown were also very good titles; Calling All Curs -Stooges are always fun with dogs and another one with Moe disguises as Hitler, excellent!

As usual, I slept through Svengoolie and awoke to that awful fish puppet! Thought he was gone!?! Too bad because I don't know if I've ever seen EARTH VS THE SPIDER.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

1/7: The Raven (1963) w/ Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Hazel Court, Olive Sturgess and Jack Nicholson

1/14: The Invisible Man (1933) w/ Claude Raines, Gloria Stuart, William Harrigan, Henry Travers, Una O'Connor, Forrester Harvey, Holmes Herbert, E.E. Clive, Dudley Digges, Harry Stubbs, Donald Stuart and Merle Tottenham

1/21: Kiss of the Vampire (1963) w/ Clifford Evans, Noel Willman, Edward de Souza, Jennifer Daniel and Barry Warren

1/28: Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) w/ Raymond Burr, Takashi Shimura, Momoko Kôchi, Akira Takarada and Akihiko Hirata
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

TikiSoo wrote: January 1st, 2023, 7:47 am
I couldn't BELIEVE a very young, blonde Lucille Ball was in 1934's THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS!
Lucille Ball's first movie was The Bowery (1933). She's billed on IMDB as "Blonde (uncredited)." I've seen the film many times but have never been able to pinpoint which uncredited blonde she is, though there are a few possibilities. The film is on YouTube but will probably never be shown on television. It's pre-code with some of the most outrageous politically incorrect bits you will ever see, from the very first shot.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Kiss of the Vampire (1963) is on Svengoolie this Saturday, January 21, 2023. I have no recollection of having seen this film. The lead, Edward de Souza, is a great actor whom I first saw on stage at the National Theatre, London, in 1984.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

An all star cast! They expanded for this???? I'll pass.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:20 pm Kiss of the Vampire (1963) is on Svengoolie this Saturday, January 21, 2023. I have no recollection of having seen this film. The lead, Edward de Souza, is a great actor whom I first saw on stage at the National Theatre, London, in 1984.
Swithin,

If you enjoy Hammer Film horrors, I think that you'll find Kiss of the Vampire a treat. It is one of Hammer's superior productions, boasting solid direction by Don Sharp -- a dextrous and estimable filmmaker whose sharp (as in acute) sense of dynamic pacing is a hallmark of his movies -- a novel, crackerjack story by John Elder (Hammer producer Anthony Hinds), and a first-rate, top-notch cast. The memorable ending was a leftover twist intended for Brides of Dracula but discarded, in part, at the behest of BoD star Peter Cushing.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:30 pm
Swithin wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:20 pm Kiss of the Vampire (1963) is on Svengoolie this Saturday, January 21, 2023. I have no recollection of having seen this film. The lead, Edward de Souza, is a great actor whom I first saw on stage at the National Theatre, London, in 1984.
Swithin,

If you enjoy Hammer Film horrors, I think that you'll find Kiss of the Vampire a treat. It is one of Hammer's superior productions, boasting solid direction by Don Sharp -- a dextrous and estimable filmmaker whose sharp (as in acute) sense of dynamic pacing is a hallmark of his movies -- a novel, crackerjack story by John Elder (Hammer producer Anthony Hinds), and a first-rate, top-notch cast. The memorable ending was a leftover twist intended for Brides of Dracula but discarded, in part, at the behest of BoD star Peter Cushing.
Actually, I enjoy some of Hammer horror films, but not all, e.g. I'm not a fan of the recreations by Hammer of the Universal monsters. I find those films stodgy (apart from The Scars of Dracula, which I haven't seen for decades and remember fondly.) But I do like many other Hammer horror films, so will look in on Svengoolie tomorrow.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:30 pm
Swithin,

Actually, I enjoy some of Hammer horror films, but not all, e.g. I'm not a fan of the recreations by Hammer of the Universal monsters. I find those films stodgy (apart from The Scars of Dracula, which I haven't seen for decades and remember fondly.) But I do like many other Hammer horror films, so will look in on Svengoolie tomorrow.