Stanwyck vs Dewhurst The Big Valley

stuart.uk

Stanwyck vs Dewhurst The Big Valley

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler

The Day Of Terror is a smashing Big Valley Episode with robber Colleen Dewhurst guest starring as a brut of a woman who comes into conflict with Barbara Stanwyck ‘s Victoria Barkley, when she holds the cattle baroness and her daughter Audra prisoner in a church, along with her 3 sons.

Stanwyck as Victoria had occasions when she looked tomboyish, but in this episode wore a dress throughout, which IMO gave a contrast between her and the trouser/gun-belt wearing Dewhurst. As a result I felt Dewhurst totally underestimated Stanwyck, believing her to be a spoiled rich woman who’d had an easy life, not realizing Victoria had worked hard to help her late husband build up her empire and was every bit as capable as what she was.

One scene reminded me of The Big Country, when Burl Ives drags Chuck Conner’s out of Jean Simmon’s room after he tried to seduce her against her will. Here it’s Dewhurst who drags out her son after he tries to molest Audra.

Dewhurst’s hatred of Victoria didn’t even diminish after saving her son, played by Michael Burn’s, by removing a bullet out of him. Victoria’s son Jarrod senses there’s trouble and turns up at the church. He kills one of Dewhurst’s other son’s, but she knocks him out with the butt of her colt. Wanting revenge Dewhurst decides to kill Audra, who’s outside the Church. Victoria picks up a gun and tells Dewhurst she’ll kill her if she tries to go through with her threat. Dewhurst draws her gun from her holster, but Victoria shoots her dead.

It was great to see 2 strong actresses as 2 strong characters go against each other.
CineMaven

Re: Stanwyck vs Dewhurst The Big Valley

Post by CineMaven »

Dewhurst vs Stanwyck. Aaaah!!! Now you're talkin'!!! I'll have to check it out. Two of my favorite strong actresses.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, me too! Those two powerhouses were meant to play opposite each other. Colleen ain't no shrinking violet!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The Day Of Terror is easy to get on you tube. I'm reluctant to post it, as I am now with feature films because it seems that after a while they're removed for copyright reasons and I'm no longer able to get access to them
Last edited by stuart.uk on April 20th, 2012, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Stuart I'll find it on YouTube, that's okay. Wendy...you like Dewhurst too? (Yay!) Man, I thought she was great. (I followed her down Broadway one day for about three blocks. Nope...it was unmistakably HER. Her hair was auburn and the sun was hitting it nicely. Yeah...I should be committed). It was great for Woody Allen to use her as Diane Keaton's mom in a short scene in "Annie Hall." But if you really want to see something, check her out in "When A Stranger Calls." It's an 80's scary movie, but well-done, and she was wonderful in it. She's such a handsome woman (great voice) and a solid actress.

Gone too soon...

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am positively in raptures that you actually saw her! I would have stalked her, um.... followed her, too. She was my total idol when I was in high school when I started acting. I had seen her in a couple of O'Neill plays on PBS with Jason Robards, and she tore up those parts! If I could have her presence and acting chops, I'd be in heaven. Of course, I am nothing like her, but god, I wanted to be. I'm afraid I'm more the Sandy Dennis type.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

HEY SANDY!!
Last edited by CineMaven on April 20th, 2012, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well...Sandy's good too. I fear she gets short shrift but I always enjoyed her in the movies: "Up the Down Staircase," "The Fox" "The Out-Of-Towners" where she was hilariously deadpan. I really loked her small role in "The Four Season." Well at least you have Dewhurst's hair color if that helps.

Naaaah, that doesn't help. You want to be a fine actress. I'm sure you were believable in whatever you did b'cuz you seem to be very sensitive and in acting, one has to open those pores of sensibility to inhabit the characters. I have a vague memory of a newspaper article or review and a pix of her laughing with Ingrid Bergman in probably a Eugene O'Neill play in the 70's...60's??? In NY I've seen lots of celebrities, but would never DARE go up to them. They like their privacy.

Maybe I can get YOUR autograph? How'd you like a role in a web series I know??? :)

[youtube][/youtube]

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I actually love Sandy now. What she does with such tiny gentle roles is AMAZING. (I remember that Fugitive episode in the video! I love that one!) But I always ended up with parts like Honey or Gwen Kellerman, these mousey types, and I longed to break out of myself. It's probably harder to play those mousey women anyway. I wanted these big scenery chewing roles, Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, or Josie in The Moon for the Misbegotten, something where I could bare my soul broadly, freely, not be a mass of nerves, which is what I really am. To me, being myself wasn't acting (I now know better). So when I saw Colleen for the first time, it was a huge shock - this beautiful big soul shining out of this farm woman's body and face. She had something that magnetized me, riveted me to her, I had a connection somewhere. I still don't know what it is. She's so powerful. I still absolutely adore her and would do anything to be able to act even one time as well as she. I wanna grow up to be just like her. Actually, she was a lot like my mom.

At IMDB or wiki, I glanced at the description of Sandy, and it said she "outquirks even Geraldine Page". Now I find that very funny, because I can't stand Geraldine Page, but I really like Sandy Dennis.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I read that IMDB description of Sandy Dennis. I shuddered re-printing it here b'cuz it wasn't very flattering. But I've always liked her. Oh, I like Geraldine Page too. (Just saw her with Ruth Gordon in one of those horror pix. And for some odd reason, today's young actress from "The Hunger Games" and "Winter's Bone"...Jennifer Lawrence seems to have the weightiness of a Geraldine Page. Uh-oh...maybe I should reassess?)

Dewhurst was like your Mother? Whoa! That's some pretty heavy and powerful female stuff going on there. Yeah, Colleen was amazing. Sooooo, your acting days... are they really gone and over Wendy? Wouldn't you like to film something for your reel? Can I help in any way?

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've actually never acted for the camera. I would like to, but would be afraid to watch myself. Ugh! I certainly can't compare to your stellar cast. I'm just an amateur.

I think Jennifer Lawrence has a long career ahead of her, if she picks well and doesn't get into a party lifestyle.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Saaaaay, I'm an amateur director, so it's a perfect combination. And you don't have to look. So no more putdowns dear Jaxxon! Well...if you're ever interested ( seriously ) I'll make it work. Rally I will.

And by the way...happy third anniversary.

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy

Of the top of my head I can only think of 2 acting Wendy's, Richard and Craig. Wendy Richard was a Carry On Actress and did the series and movie version of Are You Being Served. Wendy Craig, did The Servant with James Fox and The Nanny with Bette Davis, before becomin a big tv star, most notably in Butterflies

Sorry it's of thread but here's Wendy Craig

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Stuart! I know Wendy Craig.

Maven, Many thanks for the Burt photo and the congrats!

Ha! That's a laugh! Like I could compete with Yvonne D.

Now of only he was taking HIS shirt OFF. :D :D :D