Google Celebrates the Drive-In

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

Google Celebrates the Drive-In

Post by Lzcutter »

On the 79th anniversary of the drive-in, Google's doodle today celebrates America's love affair with watching movies under the stars:

[youtube][/youtube]

We had a nice collection of drive-in theaters in Las Vegas when I was growing up- all that wide open space back then certainly helped.

My favorite drive-in memories:

1) My parents taking me to see Viva Las Vegas on the big screen at the Stardust Drive-In which was a great drive-in located behind the beautiful Stardust hotel.

2) My mom coming home from the store with a Reader's Digest on the cover it said, "The Movie You Don't Want Your Kids to See". My dad read the article, checked the paper and then yelled for my mom to pack up the car, we were going to the drive-in. We went to see Night of the Living Dead which scared the bee-jeesus out of my brother and me.

What are your fondest drive-in memories?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Google Celebrates the Drive-In

Post by movieman1957 »

I hardly ever went to them. I wasn't that fond of them.

My dad tells a joke that one time he and my mother went when they were dating and he had taken his father's pickup truck. Dad asks my mom, "Would you like to get in the back?" Mom answered with "No, I'd rather stay up here with you."

I'm sure it's not true but it sounds so much like my mother that it fits. Gold bless her.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My fondest drive in movie memories ... is when on a Friday Night ... I saw a double bill of Godzilla and Godzilla verses King Kong, Admission, Hot Dog, Popcorn, and Drink for all for 1 combo price of $2.00 per kid. Movie started at 10:30 at Night and ended at 2am in the morning. That's one fond memory of a kid that gets a rare chance to stay up past his 9pm curfew. My Whole Family in Two Cars went to see it. Cost for Everybody under $20.00 and it was a Ladies Night and my Mom did not have to pay for anything. They even gave away 1 single red rose for all women over the age of 21. That was back in 1965.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Wow, I can't believe you people all had to pay entrance fees to get in by the head. We paid by the carload. Mom and Dad paid one price, but the kids were free. As teenagers we went in two cars and had about 10 to 15 kids all together, or just two couples on a double date. I used to prefer drive-ins to indoor theaters as long as I remembered to bring the mosquito spray. Favorite memory: 1. 5 feature Elvis marathon. 2. My neighbor and I tossing our kids in the car, letting them play for an hour on the swings in front, then come in and hound down PB&J sandwiches, and fall asleep by 8:00 p.m. leaving Sandy and I to sit back and enjoy The Valley of the Dolls in peace and quiet.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith