A DIRECTOR'S DIRECTORY

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

A DIRECTOR'S DIRECTORY

Post by CineMaven »

* I UPDATED THE DIRECTORY BY ADDING EDGAR G. ULMER TO THIS LIST. ( If you have any directors I've missed, just let me know. :) )

I read a great write-up here on director Raoul Walsh and realized (once again), that the SSO is really a good fount of information for anything you want to know about directors...films...genres...etc. But you all know that already. I thought it might be helpful if I created a mini directory on the directors that so many of you have written about, putting them all here in one place (and thus avoiding doing sorely needed housework in my apartment).

Now this won't be an encyclopedic comprehensive list. I'm sure I'm missing some directors (and for that I apologize in advance). But my goal here is to make this helpful if you're looking to see if a thread was already created for some of your favorites. If I've missed a name, please feel free to add him/her here. The search feature is already here but again...I'm trying to avoid sweeping, dusting, picking up my socks from the floor and all manner of housework.

Besides, this is much more fun than washing my paper plates and plastic forks. I'll get you to Page 1 of these directors, and you can work your way through this resource-full of info. If there were more than one thread created on a director, I picked the one that was a little more current, or that had several posts. And if several directors are missing, it probably is b'cuz their individual films were discussed, rather than a thread created FOR that director. Saaay, maybe it'll encourage folks TO create a thread for that director.

( B )
BERGMAN, Ingmar
BORZAGE, Frank
BRESSON, Robert

( C )
CASSAVETES, John
CHABROL, Claude
CUKOR, George
CURTIZ, Michael

( D )
DAVES, Delmer
DeMILLE, Cecil B.
DeSICA, Vittorio
DeTOTH, Andre
DONEN, Stanley
DREYER, Carl Th.
DWAN, Allan

( E )
EASTWOOD, Clint
EDWARDS, Blake

( F )
FELLINI, Federico
FLEISCHER, Richard
FORD, John
FULLER, Samuel

( H )
HAWKS, Howard
HITCHCOCK, Alfred

( K )
KUROSAWA, Akira

( L )
LEAN, David
LEISEN, MITCHELL
LEWIS, Joseph H.
LEWTON, Val - ( Producer )
LITVAK, Anatole
LUBITSCH, Ernst

( M )
MERCHANT/IVORY

( P )
POLLACK, Sidney
POWELL & PRESSBURGER
PREMINGER, Otto

( R )
RAY, Nicholas

( S )
SHERMAN, Vincent
SHYAMALAN, M. Night
SIODMAK, Robert
SIRK, Douglas
STURGES, Preston

( T )
TARANTINO, Quentin
TASHLIN, Frank

( U )
ULMER, Edgar G.

( V )
VON STROHEIM, Eric

( W )
WALSH, Raoul
WELLES, Orson
WELLMAN, William
WILDER, Billy
WYLER, William

( Z )
ZINNEMAN, Fred
Last edited by CineMaven on January 1st, 2014, 9:07 am, edited 14 times in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Re: A DIRECTOR'S DIRECTORY

Post by ChiO »

What a nice service you have provided, CineMaven (although I can hear the anti-auteurists' teeth grinding -- "Directors? Why are you considering directors? How important are they?").

Some threads that I'd enjoy seeing started even though I just know there have been some (occasionally heated) discussions regarding them or some of their movies:

Robert Bresson
Luis Bunuel
Charles Burnett
John Cassavetes
Carl Th. Dreyer
Samuel Fuller
Fritz Lang
Anthony Mann
F.W. Murnau
Max Ophuls
Yasujiro Ozu
Sam Peckinpah
Jacques Tourneur
Edward D. Wood, Jr.

One minor sniggling note: Val Lewton was not a director (but as producers go, he's OK).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks, Cinemaven. This is such an insightful tool. And you know we appreciate anyone who forgoes tidying up in favor of sharing new ways to organize SSO archives!

And great ideas for additions, Chio!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Anti-auteurists? Let me at 'em. Let me at 'em!
[u]ChiO[/u] wrote:One minor sniggling note: Val Lewton was not a director (but as producers go, he's OK).
Your "sniggling" has been noted, and I made the correction. Hope this one-stop shop place is helpful to you and others.

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a wonderful idea Theresa, we obviously share the same idea and SSO versus housework :wink:

I can't believe we haven't a thread on Fritz Lang and others, how remiss of us.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Preston Sturges and Frank Tashlin, please!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:What a wonderful idea Theresa, we obviously share the same idea and SSO versus housework :wink:
Boy I hate to do it and I live alone. I don't know HOW you do it... :shock: ...and you've got a boatload of people in and out of your place.
I can't believe we haven't a thread on Fritz Lang and others, how remiss of us.
Yeah, we remissed a lot of guys...like Preston Sturges. No specific thread on him. But I have included Frank Tashlin above thanx to Paula's lookin' out. (Thanx Paula).

...AND we're missing a coupla JOHNS: Cromwell, Huston, Farrow, Sturgess and Frankenheimer; a KING or two: HENRY, VIDOR;...and no specific thread on Minnelli's or Ophuls' work.

EDIT: Mixed up my Henries, Charlies & Kings.
Last edited by CineMaven on June 26th, 2012, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charliechaplinfan

Wow, you have done your homework. As for the amount of kids in and out of my place even Chris says I'm soft, it doesn't say cafe or come here to have your face wiped over the top of our door but I enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to reading and contributing to these new threads.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This is a very practical and smart idea, T, thank you very much. I do have a thread on Fritz Lang at TCM, perhaps I should start one here.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh man this is a great idea, Maven! What a swell way to get out of housework! :D

I don't know which I am more impressed with, the inspiration and work involved in setting up this thread, or the inspiration of how to get out of doing the chores. It's so much easier to tidy someone else's place that your own. :wink:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4040BF]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:This is a very practical and smart idea, T, thank you very much. I do have a thread on Fritz Lang at TCM, perhaps I should start one here.
Thanxx Miss A. A stroke of genius at three in the morning. Aye yi yi!! Saaay, why don't you bring Fritz over here. He'll have lots of directors to play with and keep him company to talk about shots, films and meddling studio moguls! Oh Frrrrrrrritzieeeee!!!
[u][color=#800000]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:Oh man this is a great idea, Maven! What a swell way to get out of housework! :D I don't know which I am more impressed with, the inspiration and work involved in setting up this thread, or the inspiration of how to get out of doing the chores. It's so much easier to tidy someone else's place that your own. :wink:
Ain't THAT the truth. The beauty (or the curse) is that nobody's here yellin' at me to pick up after myself. I went out and bought some flowers as my commitment to myself to straighten up. Someone told me flowers were nice to come home to. Now what's this I read about you killing bees in the middle of the night?!!
[u][color=#408000]Sue Sue Applegate[/color][/u] wrote:Thanks, Cinemaven. This is such an insightful tool. And you know we appreciate anyone who forgoes tidying up in favor of sharing new ways to organize SSO archives! And great ideas for additions, Chio!
In college, I did a term paper once on the day it was due. Uhmmm, that didn't go well. Time to clean the bathroom. ...And have a Jack 'n Coke.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hope you can find a place to put the flowers.... they ARE nice to come home to, bees, not so much. Yes, I spent an hour and a half searching for the bee that flew into my daughter's drawers last night.

I should rephrase that.... he flew into a pair of her leggings, inside her dresser drawers, in her room. She was hiding in the living room at the time, since there was no way she was going to sleep in there with the INSECT. Sheesh. I finally squashed him, though I tried everything to get him into a cup so I could take him outside. I finally disposed of him at about 1 oclock.
charliechaplinfan

Oh, I haven't had that happen yet, poor you and Alice. I love flowers but hubby thinks they're such a waste of money, a female weakness, if he knew about the bees too, I'd never have them again.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Really we should send our husbands away together! They would probably get along well. Andrew is the same way, it's not cruel, he just thinks its such a waste of good money. He will buy me flowers occasionally on my birthday, but if I want to get them for no reason at the grocery store florist area, he always thinks it too pricey.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:Really we should send our husbands away together! They would probably get along well. Andrew is the same way, it's not cruel, he just thinks its such a waste of good money. He will buy me flowers occasionally on my birthday, but if I want to get them for no reason at the grocery store florist area, he always thinks it too pricey.
What kind are ya buying...orchids? Do you know the price of a Virginia Ham these days?! What kind of flowers? HUSBANDS!!! Can't live with 'em...can't wipe out the whole darned town!!

Oh wait...oh lookey here!