James Grout from Morse has died

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

James Grout from Morse has died

Post by stuart.uk »

James Grout who played John Thaw's boss in Morse has died. I can't say I know to much about him, but know from what I've seen he was a talented actor. In the 60s he did Man In A Suitcase episode The Sitting Pidgeon, where he played a young Inspector, who was almost like a younger version of the role he played in Morse. I remember him fondly in as a semi regular, playing a vet in All Creatures Great And Small, but it's for Morse he's best known

However, here he is as a younger cop in MIAS. Another link to John Thaw is that in the same clip another cop played by the late Garfield Morgan went onto to play JTs boss in The Sweeney

MissGoddess

Re: James Grout from Morse has died

Post by MissGoddess »

This is more sad news. That's two good lawmen we've lost today.

I always enjoy the scenes between Morse and Chief Superintendent Strange (Grout), especially if Strange was getting onto him about some irregularity. Very humorous. Interesting that the stout Grout outlived Thaw so long.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Miss. G

The funny think was I was watching a repeat of a tribute to John Thaw at the weekend, his widow Shelia Hancock, his daughters (one step-daughter) appeared with James Grout, Kevin Wately and a lady Quincey from Morse, Denis Waterman from The Sweeney and Sarah Lancashire, who did The Glass with him, who called him sexy. Also featured in an interview was his first wife and his Rada pal and fellow actor Tom Courtney. I'm sure it's on You Tube

You mention the confontations between Morse and Strange, Thaw's Regan used to drive hiss boss Haskins really up the wall with his antics in The Sweeney, though despite that there was a respect there
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, stuart, I'll look out for that tribute. Being unconventional in the eyes of your superiors seems a hallmark of a good TV detective. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sad news here too. And with the prequel to "Morse" just showing up on American TV last week and the new season of "Inspector Lewis" shows up Sunday night.

I'm up to 27 on my Morse list.

Speaking of "Endeavor," how interesting that all those years they hid his name (and I saw the one where he revealed it) and now they name the episode for the prequel with his "real" name.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."