Eric Syckes UK comic icon RIP

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Eric Syckes UK comic icon RIP

Post by stuart.uk »

The name of Eric Syckes might not be all that well known in America, but he did make many well known films. He was side kick to Terry Thomas in 3 movies, Kill Or Cure, Those Magnificent Men In Those Flying Machines and Monte Carlo Or Bust. He was also a man servant in the British made western Shalako.

However, there was so much more to Eric than those films, he was also an accalimed comedy writer. He had a long running tv sit com Syckes, using his own name, where he appeared with his most famous screen partner Carry On actress Hattie Jaques , who played his sister Hat. So highly thought of was Eric that Peter Sellers at the height of his fame agreed to appear in one memorable episode. In fact Eric knew Sellers from The Goons. When writer and actor Spike Milligan was suffering from the pressure of writing scripts and performing in the acclaimed weekly radio show, Eric came on board to help him out.

Eric also made a contribution to the Silent film industry with his acclamed modern day silent The Plank where he shared top billing with Tommy Cooper in what was an all star cast.

For most of his career Eric suffered from deafness in one ear. In his later life he turned to dramatic acting, with some success. Here's a clip from The Plank.

On a later page I'll post outtakes from Syckes featuring Peter Sellers
Last edited by stuart.uk on July 4th, 2012, 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Eric Syckes UK comic icon RIP

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He's a real British stalwart, I loved The Plank and Sykes, he's a figure from my childhood.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Re: Eric Syckes UK comic icon RIP

Post by stuart.uk »

Here's something from Syckes Alison