Summer Under the Stars: August 2012 Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

Re: Summer Under the Stars: August 2012 Schedule

Post by CineMaven »

moirafinnie wrote:*SPOILER ALERT* Do NOT, Please Do NOT Read Below This Line If you Just Fell Off a Christmas Tree or You Are a Neophyte Classic Film Fan *SPOILER ALERT*
Crumpled, ink-stained napkin found in a moldy file in the Margaret Herrick Library Archives at AMPAS in a folder marked "Basic Formula for Women's Flicks - Version #1":
...Years Go By = Bittersweet Mother & Child Reunion (though Junior is still clueless)

[psst...I mock because I love. I really love these cockamamie movies and particularly like the way that Kay Francis, Irene Dunne and Ruth Chatterton make these movies into silk purses with their talent and style]
ACK!! My eyes! My eyes. My neophytin' eyes!! :shock:

Your post reminded of what they say a DeMIlle movie is. Sex, violence, debauchery, and then more debauched sex with violence thrown in on top of more debauchery. Pssst! But then the last five minutes of the film talks of how bad all that debauchery was.

Wow!

But you DID hit the nail on the head with your bullet points; they had me laughing :lol:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I have so enjoyed reading all the comments on this thread!
Thank you Cinemaven, Moira, Kingrat, Kingme, Mrsl, Western Guy, Jack Favell, and Mongo.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

In the future when you speak of it...and you will...be kind.

I hope you enjoy the film, Brother Rat.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Most probably know this already, but Gene Kelly's widow, Patricia Kelly is introducing and commenting on each of the films in the lineup tonight honoring the one hundredth anniversary of the great dancer's birth. After hearing her comments on meeting him and their time together, I really hope that the book she is writing about Kelly will soon be in print. You can see more about Gene Kelly in the TCM Summer Under the Stars site here and an interview with Patricia Kelly here:
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/mo ... -1.3832472
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I don't know about you guys, but everytime I look up at my television set today and see him:

I'm in heaven! Thank you TCM!!!

:D Theresa Brown...classic film fan.
:D

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It sure is a beautiful day at TCM.... :D

I really wish we could see a Tyrone Power/Loretta Young film fest one of these days. I'd love to see Love is News again someday.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:) :) :) Sigh! :) :) :)

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:It sure is a beautiful day at TCM.... :D

I really wish we could see a Tyrone Power/Loretta Young film fest one of these days. I'd love to see Love is News again someday.
Yeah, they are great together. But there's something about the down-to-earth qualities of Johnny Apollo and this scene where two strangers sit down on a step and listen to a bird singing despite the night time enveloping the world. Tyrone Power and Dorothy Lamour were beautiful in these quiet moments. It is so cool that TCM has included it today in the Ty marathon.

If you have never seen it, the Technicolor Ty in Jesse James (1939), it is well worth a look. It is a well told tale, often powerful, yet ultimately a somewhat warped bit of Americana myth-making about outlaws, the railroads, and the loss of the rural American dream. And the leading man wasn't too hard on the eyes...

I am hoping that the "other" appearance of Power and Lloyd Nolan in Abandon Ship gets shown somewhere again. It's a doozie. (Lloyd Nolan is a real scene-stealer in Johnny Apollo as a good-bad man who befriends the youthful Ty. According to Nolan, his tragic role in Abandon Ship may have been the character lead's favorite part. I heard it from a Western Guy!)

I am sure that TCM is trying to find a way to make Tyrone Power the SoTM someday soon, if enough of his movies can be arranged. If Son of Fury, Blood and Sand and Zorro could make it over to TCM from the FMC, it would glorious.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, Johnny Apollo was just great! I loved Ty and Dot together, Dorothy Lamour was most certainly the most underappreciated actress in Hollywood, she was much more than a sarong filler. Her song at the beginning was a knockout, she gave it everything and almost made me cry. I thought Lloyd Nolan was splendid, I really liked that rat! Marc Lawrence had a great slap down scene as well and is appearing at least twice today.

Caesar Romero is totally cracking me up in Captain of Castile!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JF, I knew you would appreciate Dorothy Lamour in this too! I loved her gaze when she drank him in as she sang in front of Nolan. You could see that she "didn't know guys came like him." I wish the two of them had worked together more.

I love Cesar Romero's Cortez, but do you think some scenes were left on the cutting room floor in Captain from Castile?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

They certainly seem to dwell on Ty, which is only fair, but I really love Romero. He never seems to get enough screen time, even when he has a juicy role. Always the extra man....

Loved seeing Jay Silverheels too..hey, this movie is full of great voices..
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:They certainly seem to dwell on Ty, which is only fair, but I really love Romero. He never seems to get enough screen time, even when he has a juicy role. Always the extra man....

Loved seeing Jay Silverheels too..hey, this movie is full of great voices..
Hey, haven't you seen Cesar Romero's Cisco Kid movies? He's front and center and highly entertaining in those programmers.

His voice was very beautiful. I posted a couple of interviews with him in the youtubin' thread here to give you more enjoyment.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My gosh, I NEVER knew he played the CIsco Kid! How crazy is that? Didn't even have a clue that he starred in B programmers. Thanks for the interviews, Moira!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know this isn't the popular thing to say, but... I really love Jeannette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy.

Now hear me out... if you've made a judgment of them (like I did) without seeing their first two movies together, give them a try on Monday the 27th. I have a feeling you'll enjoy the humor and the romance.

Naughty Marietta especially is quite funny. The old operetta is played strictly for laughs, and very tongue in cheek, which makes it disarmingly enjoyable to watch.

I came upon Rose Marie one day a couple of years ago on TCM and was held spellbound, wondering how two people who supposedly hated each other could look so much in love. I actually broke down in tears during one number, it moved me so. No one was more shocked than I, who had avoided them like the plague for years.

Well, it turns out that the two singers actually had a long, tortured affair, at least according to one author, who interviewed Marie Blake (also known as Blossom Rock, Jeannette's sister) and others about the couple. MacDonald feared for her career if she married Nelson and just couldn't go up against Louis B. Mayer, who held MacDonald in high esteem but hated Eddy. They couldn't give each other up, and so they ended up hiding their relationship so well that rumors sprang up that they hated one another. Each always carried a torch for the other through the years and through their marriages to other people. Eddy was said to have loved MacDonald till the day she died.

Check them out if you want to decide for yourself. For me it's simple - either they are the best actors in the world, or they really did love each other. As far as I am concerned, nobody is that good an actor. Their ability to pour their hearts out to each other only on film makes for some great movie moments.

Rose Marie - Monday, 10:00 AM ET

Naughty Marietta - Monday, 2:00 AM ET

Jeannette has an absolutely beautiful duet with Jane Powell in Three Daring Daughters at 8 AM ET, and of course, San Francisco at 8 PM ET is a must see.

Lubitsch's The Merry Widow at 12:45 AM ET may be the best of all the films on MacDonald's day in the sun.