Board down -- now resolved

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Dargo

Re: Board down -- now resolved

Post by Dargo »

Aaah, sometimes the advantages of carrying around good ol' hard cash, eh?!

Back when I still worked as a shuttle driver, I used to have at least a couple hundred in my wallet from all the tips I'd get, but nowdays I feel almost kind'a naked walkin' around with usually just 20 bucks or so inside of it.

(...and with that debit card o' mine now days being used a lot more)
Last edited by Dargo on June 28th, 2023, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Masha wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:07 pm
Belle wrote: June 28th, 2023, 11:44 am
The most stressful element of moving house is trying to change your new address to many multiples of organizations/interested parties. [...]

How have we all come to this?? We'll never move again; the stress of all this just isn't worth it.
We moved last year.

The bank where we each have individual checking accounts and individual credit cards does not allow a change of address to a post office box in a new zip code. This is part of their anti-terrorism measures. You must change to a street address and wait for a full account cycle before changing to a post office box. It is odd that their system does not migrate information instantly between accounts. The update was immediate for my checking account but it was two weeks before credit card changed. My little Fuzzy changed his checking account and his credit card changed within a few days. Our original attempts to change our joint account were rejected because their records showed the address in use by others. It required us going together to a branch and identifying ourselves to have them override the protocols to allow the change.

We each have a post office box for business use. They are at different branches and so have different zip codes. The credit card I use for business purchases delayed changing until they received confirmation from USPS that I had a legitimate change of address on file. That required several weeks.

We were traveling back and forth between old apartment and new house for several months. Each stop for gasoline was a bit of an adventure because it was necessary to enter a zip code to confirm identity. Some of those payment systems do not query the credit card issuer for every transaction and rely on their own database which may be thirty or sixty days old and so it was not always possible to know which zip code to use. Old address? New street address? New post office box? The same credit card used twice in the same day could require different zip codes depending on payment processor and state.
I want to be absolutely honest; my blood-pressure and anxiety levels were rising JUST READING what you've written here. I can relate to all of it. We have a PO Box and it took 12 months for the bank to accept that address and not a street address, after several phone calls to the South Australian headquarters and 2 or 3 personal trips to the local branch. Also, they are closing local branches at a rate of knots!!

Government needs to act on this immediately; it seriously does your head in and I'm over 70. My spouse is entirely incapable and 80; he never took any interest in computers. If I die first he's absolutely done!! No wonder older people are vulnerable to extortion. I'm absolutely fearful of having to ever move house again, for any reason.

The tears, upon tears and frustration have been incalculable and I've actually had to try and write letters when all else failed - and even this wasn't possible most of the time. I'd be unable to find an address for written communication or, if I did, got an email saying I had to 'log in' and do it myself. No; I contacted you because the log-in didn't work!! The embarrassment of the new owner of our home having to STILL contact us about mail is appalling. Several trips to the local Centerlink about our Medicare care took WEEKS to resolve the issue of the lost original which went to the wrong address and was "return to sender" by the new owners (we had to tell them to do this after continued frustration).
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

When I moved 4 years ago it was all very painless. I feel like I must have been extremely lucky now! I put in a change of address online for the post office, updated my address for my bank online, and updated my credit card (I have only one) address online as well. I used the card to buy gas the same day and entered my new zip code at the pump, everything went through.

One pain point is remembering to change your address on all the websites you order stuff from! I forgot to do that on Swappa (used cell phone website) and had to cancel a purchase and redo it. Was fortunate I caught it in time.
Hibi

Re:

Post by Hibi »

filmlover wrote: May 31st, 2007, 8:35 am Gald to see it is back. My only regret is that someone started a thread over in TCM asking what happened to it, so now the undesirables know of it and mght seek out this oasis.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Re:

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: June 29th, 2023, 11:23 am
filmlover wrote: May 31st, 2007, 8:35 am Gald to see it is back. My only regret is that someone started a thread over in TCM asking what happened to it, so now the undesirables know of it and mght seek out this oasis.
Great. :(
deleted.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on June 29th, 2023, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

That was an old post. Made when TCM still HAD a board! :( I didnt realize until after I quoted and looked at the date! I've since erased my comment.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

James. Look at the post date. This thread was started in 2007. (filmlover post above)
Okay, Hibi types faster than me.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

jimimac71 wrote: June 29th, 2023, 11:35 am James. Look at the post date. This thread was started in 2007. (filmlover post above)
Okay, Hibi types faster than me.
Makes sense now. Thanks to both of you for the update. I'll delete my misguided comments above.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Swithin wrote: June 28th, 2023, 3:37 am I'm having problems accessing this site, yesterday and today. Anyone else? Something about a "handshake" comes up.
Just to clarify: I awoke in the wee hours yesterday morning (June 28, 2023). Since I couldn't sleep, I logged on but had a problem accessing this site. When I finally did get on, after several tries, I thought someone would have started a thread in "Site Talk" about the problem but could find none. Since I was too bleary-eyed to start a new thread, I quickly found this old one which was fairly close to being relevant.

So I used an old thread to post about the current problem.

And that's how I revived this thread at 4:37 am yesterday morning. And now the title of the thread is accurate, since the issue has been resolved!