The Gunfighter or High Noon

Western Guy

The Gunfighter or High Noon

Post by Western Guy »

Many years back when I was working with Dolores Fuller on her book, her husband, Dr. Philip Chamberlin, and I used to have discussions on movies and, more specfically, the people he knew in the motion picture business as a director with AMPAS and founder of FilmEx. In the former capacity he got to know Gregory Peck quite well and once mentioned to me that one of Peck's greatest career regrets was turning down the title role in "High Noon" - a decision based on his previous playing of Jimmy Ringo in "The Gunfighter", believing there was too strong a similarity in both parts (which, frankly, I can't see, other than both are Westerns). Just for fun -- if you were Peck and at some point had to choose between Ringo or Marshal Kane, what would be your preference.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Gunfighter or High Noon

Post by movieman1957 »

I can't see the relationship either. They're both terrific films but I think Peck made the right move. I like Cooper as Kane because he is older. (Marrying Kelly notwithstanding. That character too should have been older.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Re: The Gunfighter or High Noon

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Like you, I see no similarity between the two roles. However, if I had to choose which film I prefer, it would be The Gunfighter hands down. To me, it's a much deeper film with lots of subtle themes and ideas that fall under a broader heading. I also think it allowed Peck to tap more range and use his skills with more variety than Cooper's Kane in High Noon.

I enjoy Peck's later performance in The Bravados (1958) even more.