Lyle Talbot and daughter Margaret Talbot

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Lyle Talbot and daughter Margaret Talbot

Post by pvitari »

Margaret Talbot, daughter of Lyle Talbot, has a new book coming out in November called The Entertainer: The Movies, Magic, and My Father's Twentieth Century.

Talbot also has a piece about her father in the current New Yorker magazine, and if the book is anything like this article, then it will be a must-read.

Here is a link to the New Yorker article:

http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=2012-10-01#folio=032

Talbot is a staff writer at the New Yorker. Here's the link to her bio page (with picture): http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/bios/ ... t%20Talbot
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Lyle Talbot and daughter Margaret Talbot

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for posting this, Paula. I've seen and read several interviews with the patriarch of this family and always wondered afterward, "Why wasn't this man as interesting and intelligent on-screen as he seemed to be in person?" Actors have so little control over their roles, particularly in the hard-working days of the studio era in the '30s, I have the feeling that Lyle Talbot was slotted into roles that were "George Brent" types--with even less to do! I know he had many ups and downs in his personal life and his career, but he was a staunch advocate for SAG and must have done something right to have helped produce such a brood of creative people. I look forward to reading Margaret's book (I've been reading her stuff for years in the New Yorker, but only learned recently of the familial connection).

Lyle Talbot's children are all quite accomplished individuals, as indicated by the family's website:

The Talbot Players: From Story to Screen
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Holy smokes, I had no idea that Salon's David Talbot was Lyle's son! Thanks for that link, Moira! Lyle and his fourth wife, Margaret, must have been amazing parents.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I'd like to share a sweet story about Lyle Talbot, told me by his close friend Dolores Fuller. As you may know, in later years`, after enjoying the reputation as one of Warner Brothers 30s top stars (Three on a Match, Big City Blues, 20,000 Years in Sing Sing, etc.), Lyle's career wasn't going so great and by the 1950s he was appreciative to be offered work by Ed Wood: "Glen or Glenda", "Jail Bait" and the infamous "Plan Nine from Outer Space". Apparently Lyle and Eddie became quite close friends and Lyle, who had earlier gained a reputation as a man about time and was known to cherish a drink occasionally found himself locked out of his house and he'd head over to Eddie's place (actually Dolores's house) where he'd flop out on the couch for the night. Eventually Lyle`s drinking and carousing took a heavy toll on Lyle's marriage and his wife Margaret filed for divorce. Dolores and Eddie appeared at the hearing . . . and a miraculous thing happened. According to Dolores, Lyle and Margaret`s eyes met, revealing the love they still had for each other. Lyle then reached out his hand and promised Margaret that he would not drink anymore. Margaret gave him another chance and Lyle must have been true to his word because they stayed married until Margaret passed away. Lyle died at the age of ninety-four in 1996. Sadly, Lyle`s sobriety and Ed Wood`s tragic descent into alcholism destroyed their friendship.

Incidentally, Lyle`s last onscreen appearance was in the feature documentary The Haunted World of Edward D. Wood, Jr.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I don't know if you get TCM in your part of Canada, Stone, but there are interviews with Talbot in the TCM Archives. He was very elderly when they were conducted, but I have seen enough of the segments to realize how interesting and articulate he remained, despite everything. These are sometimes shown as interstitials on TCM promoting some films. I just wish we could see far more of them.

Paula, I was so surprised about the gifted Talbot clan when I found that site some time ago. How I would like to ask them a thousand questions about their father and their fascinating career paths! I am so glad you enjoyed seeing that too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Moira, yes - Thank God - we do get TCM up here in Winnipeg. I think I can say with a certain honesty that without TCM I probably would not even subscribe to cable.

And yes again, I have seen some of those Talbot interviews - also I recall a 1930s filmed "tour guide" through Warner Brothers where a young Lyle was the host. Definitely shows that he had some clout at the studio back then.

As for those later interviews, he was indeed very articulate - and most interesting. I'll reiterate: Darn, to have been born at least thirty years earlier...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just found this thread and I'm so happy! I love Lyle Talbot, and had no idea about his kids ongoing careers. I think you have it pegged right Moira, he got locked into a George Brent stand-in character, and never really made it out of that.

My favorite Lyle roles are

Preston Foster's jumpy sidekick in Heat Lightning - Talbot really gets to show his acting skills in this one.

Ann Dvorak's skunk of a lover in Three on a Match.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love Lyle Talbot ...

When, I was a kid (around 6-7) two Superheroes Film Short Series ...

Batman and Robin back in 1949 as Commissioner Gordon and Atom Man verses Superman back in 1950.

Batman and Robin as Commissioner Gordon - Here is some pictures of him:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Atom Man verses Superman - Here is some pictures of him:

He did both Atom Man and Lex Luthor at the same time ... He was born to play it.

ImageImage
ImageImage

He was very good in these two movie serials ... he was perfect in both roles here.