The October Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The October Schedule for TCM

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:As I posted on the Spencer Tracy thread, I'm interested in seeing Edward Dmytryk's The Mountain (1956), with Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner as brothers trying to rescue survivors of a plane crash. This will be shown tomorrow (Tuesday)
Loved it, despite the silliness of Tracy and Wagner as brothers (poor Mom must have been surprised). It's hokey (lots of snow drifts in the studio) but oddly moving when the camera just focuses on the mug of Spencer "His Cragginess" Tracy. I know I'm being manipulated by him, but I don't care.
kingrat wrote:Also on tap for tomorrow is 23 Paces to Baker Street (1956, dir. Henry Hathaway), with Van Johnson as a blind playwright who overhears two kidnappers but can't get the police to believe him. Also with Vera Miles. Sounds interesting.
One of my favorite Van Johnson performances. He taps into the bitterly querulous side of his nature very well. The story is well played with Johnson getting ample assistance from the splendid Cecil Parker as his gentleman's gentleman and Vera Miles as his former fiancee. Proof that Hathaway's abilities went well beyond the Western.
kingrat wrote:If you've seen some of the promos for the Disability in Film series, you know there's been considerable discussion of Johnny Belinda, which follows the Hathaway film. The discussion should be interesting as well as the film.
I understand how Marlee Matlin and the other lady in the spot on Johnny Belinda feel though I happen to love that particular Negulesco film, despite its oversimplifications and idealizations. It was groundbreaking when it was released, tackling subjects that almost never were dealt with effectively in movies prior to this one. Part of the reason this means a great deal to me is because of the beauty of the Ted McCord-Negulesco black and white imagery and the beautiful ensemble acting by each cast member. Another reason is because it captures the way that having a birth defect gives you a challenge and an insight into life that more perfect people may never know.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love Johnny Belinda. I haven't seen the promo. I still find it a fascinating film, the performances of every actor are interesting and characters that you think are one way turn out another. Even the 'villains' of the piece have their reasons. I understand some objections, but it's such a worthwhile film, with a tolerant message. I hope people will still watch it, there is an uplifting story to be told there.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Malaya as I recall is a mess, a movie that should have worked but doesn't - it meanders around and never really gets anywhere.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Malaya as I recall is a mess, a movie that should have worked but doesn't - it meanders around and never really gets anywhere.
Even worse, Malaya is numbingly boring. Even if this guy was in it giving Tracy some support (that's more than the script did).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh dear! I didn't even look up to see Gilberto! The movie just drains me, and eventually I zone out on it.

Has anyone seen tonight's prime time movie?

Eyes In The Night (1942)

Blind detective Duncan Maclain gets mixed up with enemy agents and murder when he tries to help an old friend with a rebellious stepdaughter.

Dir: Fred Zinnemann Cast: Edward Arnold , Ann Harding , Donna Reed .

BW-80 mins
I thought maybe I had seen part of this one and it was really good.... but I'm getting to the point where I can't remember movies anymore just by the title. Did Arnold play this character in any other films? It seems a perfect role for him to continue on with in a series. Is this worth recording? I think I am going to just in case.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, I came in on THE MOUNTAIN rather late, but was unexpectedly drawn in and rather moved just by Spencer's ruggedly forlorn, aging face, you're right about that. Ditto on Claire Trevor, lol! She's one of my favorites, but I'm going to make a startling and embarrassing confession -- I don't care for her Oscar-winning performance in KEY LARGO. This is the kind of role Trevor could play in her sleep, but I thought she (or the script) overdid the rancid pathos. In my opinion her greatest triumphs are DEAD END, STAGECOACH, and MURDER, MY SWEET. Robert Wagner always creeps me out.

By the way, I'm noticing not one, but TWO Nicks (the all-purpose ethnic name) -- Russian cafe owners of The Pink Panda in LUCKY PARTNERS. (waste of strong cast, including the great Jack Carson, as Ginger's boyfriend) And speaking of "Freddie", this is another "shortcut" appellation. "Freddie" seems to be "hapless fiance" who the leading lady always dumps. Jack Carson in LUCKY PARTNERS is a Freddie. Then there's the unseen Freddie in THE CLOCK, ursurped in status by Robert Walker. Let's not forget Freddie Eynsford-Hill from MY FAIR LADY, who is besotted by Eliza, because she does the new small talk so very well.

Re: 23 PACES TO BAKER STREET -- I was almost as cranky as Van, at least during the first half, trying to believe that the redoubtable, upper crust, veddy British Cecil Parker could be anybody's manservant, much less an American's. But Cecil's game's-afoot enthusiasm finally won me over. Vera Miles can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. I was uneasily fascinated by the haunting cinematography -- the iconic yet vaguely mysterious, eerie images of London landmarks brought to mind Antonioni's BLOW-UP. (don't laugh) I hope I don't sound (too) pretentious when I offer the suggestion that these images reflected Johnson's initial "hazy" state of mind in terms of his bitter, cynical outlook on life related to the onset of the blindness (but probably predated this disability; his character was predisposed to melancholy) That we "see" a different panorama of the City at the end in terms of light diffusion maybe bears out what I'm spouting on about.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on October 17th, 2012, 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxie,
Robert Wagner...creepy? Bland--amateurish--too smooth for his own good maybe, at least when he was being a teen heart throb. Yet in recent years he's kind of grown on me. I like him now. Were you exposed to A Kiss Before Dying at an impressionable age? Or maybe it was that salty turkey, All the Fine Young Cannibals?

I tend to find Trevor's scenes in Key Largo too painful to watch but think she was great in Dead End & Born to Kill. I not only don't see Claire as a French milk maid, I have difficulty buying her as a 19th century dance hall floozie on that Stagecoach to Lordsburg or in any Western (even Dark Command, which I really like). Maybe it's the platinum locks and frank manner that give her that 20th century urban babe with the east coast vibe?

Btw, she was quite believable as Marjorie Morningstar's tense, worried Mama in the movie she made just after clambering over The Mountain in search of a decent role.

I don't think you are being the least bit pretentious about 23 Paces to Baker Street's misty London reflecting the literal and psychological miasma of Van Johnson's character. One thing that I'd forgotten about this movie: Estelle Winwood as the fairly daffy bar maid trying to work out signals with the Vanster. She was so good. If only Estelle and Zasu Pitts could have been cast as sisters in a movie (another version of Arsenic and Old Lace, perhaps?).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moirafinnie wrote:Bronxie,
Robert Wagner...creepy? Bland--amateurish--too smooth for his own good maybe, at least when he was being a teen heart throb. Yet in recent years he's kind of grown on me. I like him now. Were you exposed to A Kiss Before Dying at an impressionable age? Or maybe it was that salty turkey, All the Fine Young Cannibals?

I tend to find Trevor's scenes in Key Largo too painful to watch but think she was great in Dead End & Born to Kill. I not only don't see Claire as a French milk maid, I have difficulty buying her as a 19th century dance hall floozie on that Stagecoach to Lordsburg or in any Western (even Dark Command, which I really like). Maybe it's the platinum locks and frank manner that give her that 20th century urban babe with the east coast vibe?

Btw, she was quite believable as Marjorie Morningstar's tense, worried Mama in the movie she made just after clambering over The Mountain in search of a decent role.

I don't think you are being the least bit pretentious about 23 Paces to Baker Street's misty London reflecting the literal and psychological miasma of Van Johnson's character. One thing that I'd forgotten about this movie: Estelle Winwood as the fairly daffy bar maid trying to work out signals with the Vanster. She was so good. If only Estelle and Zasu Pitts could have been cast as sisters in a movie (another version of Arsenic and Old Lace, perhaps?).
moira, yes, my first exposure to Robert Wagner was A KISS BEFORE DYING, lol. (It should have been THE PINK PANTHER) He was made for the part of Bud Corliss, the preppy boy-next-door psycho. (Mary Astor as his mother makes her relationship with the son all too clear: a subtle straightening of Bud's photo on a wall) Bob in recent years seemed to enjoy sending up his clean-cut image, but I've never really been sold on him in any way, except that he seemed more suited for the "cool" medium of television than up there trying to be larger than life on a movie screen. And he's got that monotone voice, on par with Wolf Blitzer for sheer annoyance.

I forgot to include Claire in MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR as one of her best if probably least seen or acknowledged. Couldn't agree with you more -- very believable indeed, especially when she's interrogating Gene Kelly at the dinner table. (on the other hand, there's HARD, FAST, AND BEAUTIFUL where Trevor is the ambitious mother of tennis player Sally Forrest, and unfortunately I thought Claire telegraphed to the hilt all the character's passive aggressiveness, which made me long for steamroller Ida Lupino's ruthless manipulations in THE HARD WAY) I don't remember DARK COMMAND or BORN TO KILL all that well so would have to catch them again. You're absolutely right about Claire being too urban and "modern" for period pieces; I couldn't see Sylvia Sidney in a Western either, lol.

"Literal and psychological miasma" of Van Johnson's character -- thank you! (you've eloquently expressed what I only tried to say) Frankly I was shocked to see Estelle Winwood behind a bar, in much the same way I'd feel if Elsa Lanchester was working in a place called something like The Jolly Aardvark serving me up a pint of Guinness. I usually like to see these two eccentrics amidst the upper classes, although I do enjoy Elsa as a servant in NIGHT MUST FALL and THE BISHOP'S WIFE.

Oooh, Estelle and Zasu in AAOL, I love it! With a mummified Ben Gazzara down in the cellar.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wolf Blitzer, LOL!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope that others are watching the special program on TCM this Sunday evening, Oct. 21st, with Jerry Beck, the cartoon historian and author of fifteen books on the subject.
Above: Robert Osborne & Jerry Beck on TCM on Sunday, October 21st. [photo courtesy of TCM]

I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry when I visited TCM this summer (more about that at a later date). I was delighted to discuss his work with him for some time prior to his appearance with Robert Osborne. His knowledge of his subject and his love for classic animation is so infectious. Hats off to Jerry, who has posted some great links to historical material associated with tonight's lineup on TCM at the link below on his terrific website on animation that he maintains with his colleague, Amid Amidi. CartoonBrew.com's account of Jerry's visit with TCM is linked here:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/rare ... 71920.html

I recommend The Tell-Tale Heart in particular. James Mason did the narration in this beautifully made (and little known) adaptation of the Edgar Allan Poe tale. I am particularly interested in the 1920 cartoon, The Bomb Idea since it deals with the then "ripped-from-the-headlines" theme of Bolshevik bomb-throwers, (an unusual subject for a cartoon, eh?). You can see more about each film on tonight's schedule here

Here's a rundown of the schedule for tonight (all times shown are ET) which includes films introduced by Jerry and several rarities late tonight as well:

8:00 PM
GULLIVER'S TRAVELS (1939)
A human doctor washes ashore on an island inhabited by little people locked in a foolish war.
Dir: Dave Fleischer Cast: Jessica Dragonette , Lanny Ross ,
C-76 mins, TV-G, CC,

9:30 PM
MR. BUG GOES TO TOWN (1941)
A grasshopper tries to find a new home for his fellow insects.
Dir: Dave Fleischer Cast: Kenny Gardner , Gwen Williams , Jack Mercer .
C-78 mins, TV-G,

11:00 PM
FUDGET'S BUDGET (1954)
George Fudget tries to get his family to economize.
Dir: Robert Cannon
BW-7 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

UNICORN IN THE GARDEN, THE (1953)
Dir: William T Hurtz
BW-7 mins, TV-PG,

GERALD MCBOING BOING (1951)
BW-7 mins, TV-G,

ROOTY TOOT TOOT(1951)
On trial for killing a faithless lover, Frankie tries to spin the story in her favor.
Dir: John Hubley
C-8 mins, TV-G, CC,

TELL-TALE HEART, THE (1953)
Dir: Ted Parmelle
BW-8 mins, TV-14,

CHRISTOPHER CRUMPET (1953)
A little boy turns into a chicken whenever he doesn't get his way.
BW-7 mins, TV-G,

RAGTIME BEAR, THE (1949)
Dir: John Hubley
BW-7 mins, TV-G,

12:00 AM
SCENTS AND NONSENSE (1926)
Krazy Kat tries to help a furrier catch animals to skin.
BW-6 mins, TV-G,

DOWN ON PHONEY FARM (1915)
In his rare, recently rediscovered debut appearance, Paul Terry's Farmer Al Falfa develops a plant that grows beer, then tests the product on his cow.
BW-3 mins, TV-G,

SPRINGTIME (1923)
Farmer Al Falfa flirts with cute girls at the beach.
BW-5 mins, TV-G,

INKWELL - TRIP TO MARS (1924)
BW-6 mins, TV-G,

ARTIST'S DREAM (1913)
An animated dachshund fools his live-action creator by eating the sausages he has drawn.
BW-4 mins, TV-G,

FARMERETTE, THE (1932)
All the animals on Farmer Goat's farm are lazy and unproductive until a visiting flapper introduces them to jazz.
BW-7 mins, TV-G,

FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD (1919)
Firemen Mutt and Jeff are called to a burning hotel, where Mutt must rescue a rich lady's "baby" while avoiding a monster dog.
BW-6 mins, TV-G,

BOMB IDEA, THE (1920)
A railroad porter and his boss get a premature Red Scare when a strange visitor seems to be carrying a Bolshevik bomb.
BW-3 mins, TV-G,

HAUNTED HOTEL (1907)
A big-nosed man spends the night in a ghostly inn, where enchanted silverware fixes dinner and a terrible troll swallows unwary sleepers.
BW-5 mins, TV-G,

BOBBY BUMPS STARTS FOR SCHOOL (1917)
Mischievous schoolboy Bobby disobeys his teacher and swings on a dangerous giant school bell.
BW-5 mins, TV-G,

LIGHTNING SKETCHES (1907)
J. Stuart Blackton, one of the earliest screen cartoonists, draws some ethnic caricatures and an animated bottle of wine.
BW-2 mins, TV-G,

1:15 AM
ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED, THE (1927)
This silent silhouetted animation is based on the Arabian Nights' tales.
Dir: Lotte Reiniger
BW-66 mins, TV-G,
You might also l

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I am looking forward to the UPA films at 11 o'clock.

I was lucky enough to see "The Tell-Tale Heart" on the big screen before "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" way back when. I thought "Tell-Tale Heart" overshadowed the feature. James Mason had a terrific voice.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I found the UPA shorts interesting, if not exactly my cup of tea.

In "Ragtime Bear," I found Mr. Magoo made me think of Elmer Fudd somehow. I had never thought of that before.

My favorite of the 7 was "Unicorn in the Garden." I liked that and "Tell-Tale Heart" and "Gerald McBoing-Boing" the best. Maybe I was responding to Thurber, Poe and Seuss?

What put me off about these cartoons was their insistence that they were drawings first and foremost. There was very little attempt at "characterization" in the way, say, Michigan J. Frog is a character in "One Froggy Evening," a WB cartoon that probably wouldn't exist if not for UPA. "Rooty, Toot Toot" left me uninvolved. It struck me as more of an exercise in style than a story. (Would have loved to see how Tex Avery would have tackled the story.)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

unfortunately i only saw parts of Gulliver, the rest came on too late. i really wanted to see the UPA cartoons. i think mr. beck has a fun job!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers