The October Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The October Schedule for TCM

Post by moira finnie »

There's a particularly interesting Curtis Harrington film, the stylishly macabre Games (1967) being aired on Sat. Oct. 27th at 10pm (ET) on TCM. Harrington, who bounced around the movie business making experimental movies, exploitation films, television series and movies-of-the-week, but managed to invest his films with a dreamy, poetic air that belied the sometimes grotesque moments of horror, feeble scripts and the lack of the producers' interest in his vision. He even managed to inject humor and visual homages to his favorite directors, Josef von Sternberg and James Whale into his work, while he somehow made lavish-looking movies on a relative shoe string.

Simone Signoret & Katharine Ross with Curtis Harrington on the set of Games (1967).

In Games (1967), James Caan and Katharine Ross play an artsy young couple living a strange sort of insular high life in NYC (on her money). They spend most of their time in their glorious brownstone decorated with the kind of cutting edge '60s art that you only see in museums now and films of this period. The hermetically sealed quality of their life is reinforced by the fact that this was entirely photographed on the Universal lot and the interiors were composed of designs created by Harrington favorite, Morton Haack. The couple's days consist of canoodling, adding to their art collection, and hosting elaborate parties for their jaded friends (who include everyone's favorite straight-arrow whipping boy, Kent Smith, who is Ross' lawyer and adviser). Oh, and they also enjoy playing games of a sort, especially really elaborate cat and mouse games,though most of the time the mouse is not a hip as the couple.

One morning a mysterious stranger drifts into this heady atmosphere when a door to door saleswoman (Simone Signoret) arrives on their doorstep. The makeup saleswoman inveigles her way into a sales pitch with Ross, who is intrigued by the middle-aged woman's mystique and touched by her vulnerability, especially after she almost passes out. Soon she is an entertaining and disturbing fixture in this household. Signoret is, of course, not what she seems to be, but she was still a commanding presence in 1967, a decade after Diabolique (1955) and several years after Room at the Top (1960). Look for Don Stroud (he was in everything in the late '60s), Estelle Winwood, and an amusing, if slightly ghastly use of sculptor and media darling George Segal's signature style figures. (This George Segal is the artist not the actor).

You can see more about this film here:
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/75956/Ga ... icles.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I thoroughly enjoyed Wolf Blitzer's intros and outros last night, and his conversations with Ben Mankiewicz. I feel that he had much to say about politics, journalistic ethics, and how the films presented accurately portrayed current aspects of the political process in Washington, D.C. in the 21st century.

He was a highly informative guest programmer, and I hope they arrange another night of political films with him.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
norfious

Post by norfious »

Oh my, I just noticed that TCM will be playing all the Saint and Falcon movies tomorrow morning! I've always wanted to see those, since I am quite a fan of George Sanders. Unfortunately, my DVD recorder is broken! Why, of all the days, must it be broken for tomorrow morning? :cry:

If anyone gets the chance to watch these, you must tell me if they are any good!
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm a tremendous fan of both series. I love most of the old mystery series but having George Sanders in one is a huge bonus. He's so easy and charming, you really must see them.

They are on Warner Archive DVD.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira (I love your Freddie avatar) Thanks for bringing GAMES to everybody's attention. I really love Simone in this role; she's an actress who could really tap the dark side. (chilling in DIABOLIQUE) For me James Caan will always be Sonny Corleone, and that's not a good thing, lol. Plus he's got those hideous shoulders, second only to Larry King's in repulsiveness. Katherine Ross is a few steps above Ali MacGraw, which actually works well in GAMES, but I won't give anything away. I did appreciate the twisted fairy-tale aspect of the story -- pipe Ross's little-girl outfits. As for Don Stroud, he's frightening just walking in with the groceries. It must be the Neanderthal forehead. I appreciated seeing Marjorie Bennett, even briefly. I just love her in WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? as Victor Buono's meddling Cockney mother.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

It's been a good month for TCM ... and I admit they did a great job of programming it. My DVR was very busy last month. I give them a solid B+.