BARBARA STANWYCK: December 2012 Star of The Month

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

Re: BARBARA STANWYCK: December 2012 Star of The Month

Post by CineMaven »

This is my favorite photograph of Barbara Stanwyck.

0h yes, I remember Marilyn in "Clash..." MM'57. She looked like a regular girl. I've seen flashes of the movie, but I've got to really sit with it. Christy, I was getting my fill of Robert Mitchum this morning and had "His Kind Of Woman" on in the background. It was actually Vincent Price saying your line: "If you did a little sewing with that needle, you'd be a much happier woman." When I heard it, I yelled out your name. Didja hear me?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Queen Bee" Brother Rat? Oh I must see that again. I hear ya about the WARPED part. But as I recall, she was unstoppable. Who got in her way? And I chuckled at your "serious and bad" movie line. Yeah. The Queen is all that and a bag or chips. "Stamboul Quest" ey? I love that big wooden-headed lug. I thought he was sexy in "Jezebel."

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

HA! I think I did. I was just watching it!

Omigosh, I thought it was Ole' Bob, all these years....
CineMaven wrote:Image

This is my favorite photograph of Barbara Stanwyck.

0h yes, I remember Marilyn in "Clash..." MM'57. She looked like a regular girl. I've seen flashes of the movie, but I've got to really sit with it. Christy, I was getting my fill of Robert Mitchum this morning and had "His Kind Of Woman" on in the background. It was actually Vincent Price saying your line: "If you did a little sewing with that needle, you'd be a much happier woman." When I heard it, I yelled out your name. Didja hear me?
Lovely choice! She looks so naturally relaxed in your photo pick. Just like she is "thinking of nothing" like Garbo in the last shot of Queen Christina...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Cinematic Mavenatic! Outstanding analysis of these deliciously wicked classics. You've explained exactly why I, and I'm betting a lot of other fans, love them.

I love Eddie G. in this. He’s the heart and soul, that Phyllis and Walter have lost.

That's exactly what he is. The most interesting character and the best performance in this, the finest crime film of them all. Even the adventure of Spade, Archer and Effie darling doesn't compare to this one.

I’m at peace with Van Heflin, one of the few guys I now think can, frankly, handle Stanwyck

The man has character. I'm sure he played some less than honorable people. THE PROWLER comes to mind. But usually, when you get Van Heflin, you get a decent man who will ultimately do the right thing. In SHANE, he's downright noble. He literally has to be hit on the head to keep from getting himself killed. He's the most admirable person in that beautifully poetic story.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

AHHH!! THAT'S MY GIRL...

I'd like to see Dale Evans do THAT!

The Stanwyck Stance: She surveys all she possesses.

Image Image

With arms akimbo it's a pretty powerful stance: aggressive...power and done with contempt. 'Hey, whaddya think you're pullin' here?! You've got the wrong baby!"

We've seen her Capra'd and Sturgessed. She'll pull the trigger, or cigarette or romance leading men with names like Joel, Gary or Henry. She cuts her teeth on sophisticated comedies, damsels-in-distress and downright murderers. She covers the waterfront. How do you want her? Soft, vulnerable, hard-boiled & brassy, cold or scared? Brother you can have her. She's a pre-code chickadee who'll jerk your tears and ain't afraid of no cigar-smokin' dames in prison when she has to do a stretch. Tonight, TCM winds down the reign of STANWYCK with a couple of westerns: "Forty Guns" "Annie Oakley" "Maverick Queen" and "The Violent Men." A gun...a whip...her tongue, no matter. Whatever. She'll hit her mark. Joanie might've done "Johnny Guitar" but I'd have loved to see her match wits with Stanwyck in "The Furies." ((( Sigh! ))) That's what imagination's for, I guess. Of all the movies tonite, among my top five favorites of hers is "My Reputation." I absolutely love her look in the mid-to-late 1940's and her self-assurance. She's got great support here with Eve Arden & one of her favorite leading men, George Brent. And yes yes it's a "woman's picture" but that's okay. I know Stanwyck can play fierce, strong and independent...but I like that in this movie, those traits are buried under the quivering chin of a frozen virgin married woman who needs permission to live and love. And big ol' stalwart wooden Georgie is just the guy who can cajole and warm her. The politics of it all is galling and maybe even laughable. But I don't laugh. I put myself in another time...another place...another mindset. I watch Stanwyck play it even though I know she was not of it.

A girl from Brooklyn, brought up in foster homes with limited education and OUT on her own at sixteen. Worked in theatre, burlesque, the chorus. Marries a big Broadway star, came out west with him and got tapped by Fate. And even then, she didn't work in the glam factory of M-G-M or Paramount, but toiled at Poverty Row. Capra saw something - Stanwyck had something. And the result? Fifty years later. Click on the picture below to see her win her honorary Academy Award for her body of work. She stands onstage taking in all the love and applause from the audience. Then strides across it, head up, shoulders back - perfect posture.

Does fifty years feel like fifty years as you're working your way up to the top? Awwwright, I'm romanticizing her biography a bit. So sue me, I'm a fan. Yes there were heartbreaks and heartaches and crushes and estrangements and hurt feelings, disappointments and regrets: A Human Life. But there were accomplishments and triumphs that probably went beyond her wildest dreams. I can only hope she didn't measure herself against anyone but herself. And even doing that can cause sleepless nights.

I think it's fitting that TCM ends its year with Barbara Stanwyck, this giant among giants. ( Thank you TCM! ) I know I know...who am I? After all, I'm a fan. Okay then, don't go by me. Go by her work.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lovely, Maven.

I agree it's only fitting that they end the year with Stany. It's perfect. I am also so appreciative of TCM picking her to finish out 2012. Who else are you gonna want on your team after the end of the world? :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Una Merkel, Pert Kelton and Marie Prevost. :D

Great review, kingrat. Love Madame Sul-Te-Wan's smackdown of the dowager.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I purposely haven't read your review yet, kingrat, since I recorded Forty Guns but haven't watched it yet.

I did see some Stanwyck movies last night and today. My favorites were Maverick Queen and Gambling Lady, both of which were unpretentious but had excellent scripts that never fell into the trite or maudlin. Barry Sullivan was surprisingly good in the former, and of all people Pat O'Brien took my eyes off of Joel McCrea in the latter.

I was thinking of Maven the whole day, and thought of a couple of double features for her Stany/Davis face-off:

My Reputation/Now Voyager - Both have lead characters who are involved in affairs that open their lives, but that also must be hidden and are considered by everyone 'wrong'. Both movies involve children. Both films have overpowering mothers played by Gladys Cooper. Both leads have an understanding female friend. There are more parallels, but I can't give any more away for those who haven't seen both movies.

Gambling Lady/Marked Woman
- I don't know that there are a lot of parallels here, but they both have tough gals as leads who work in 'the rackets'. I just like the titles together to tell the truth. I think it would make a heck of a double bill.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JaxxXxxon...BRILLIANT!!!

Brilliant double-feature bills you've programmed. "MY REPUTATION / NOW, VOYAGER" - you totally hit the nail on the head. ( Lucile Watson domineered as Stanwyck's mom. ) Stanwyck fared a little better getting her over-bearing mom off her back. And the parallels are good. I always loved ( younger son ) Scotty Beckett ( my favorite "Little Rascal." ) Liked:
Both have lead characters who are involved in affairs that open their lives, but that also must be hidden...
Brent steered and trained like a skittish young colt. By the end, he had her eating sugar out of the palm of his hand.

"Gambling Lady" / "Marked Woman." Barbara to me really looks comfortable hangin' and dealin' with the boys. A natural. "The Rackets"... Ha! Yeah! I liked how all the men really respected her and her talent. Her beef was with another dame, not with the boys. Nice titles together. Loved how Bette faced and threatened Eduardo Cianelli. You are sooooooooo right when you say that Stanwyck is someone you'd want on your team. Exactly.

Now. About "MILDRED PIERCE." Oh yeah. You're gonna get it.

( Hope you had a good Christmas. )

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know! I know! What is wrong with me? I will try once again to get into Mildred, I can't figure out why I don't fall hook line and sinker for this one. Except I just feel so bad about Jack Carson...

and OOPS Lucile Watson... well somehow the two mothers mind melded together into Gladys... :D duh.

Love Scotty Beckett!

Hate Claire Dodd, what woman wouldn't want to rip her eyes out?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well...there's so many other films that make your heartstrings sing. When I can get that MovieCHAT edited, I hope you watch the spirited talk four of us gals had about "Mildred Pierce." It might not make you warm up to the movie...but you'll laugh at our enthusiasm. You keep your hook, line and sinker for those other films that are closer to your heart. I'm a little worried that YouTube won't let me load up all the clips I want to, to illustrate our points. I had a problem with YouTube when I put on that excerpt of the dear boy's performance in "All About Eve."

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I haven't had any trouble so far with youtube myself, but I have been receiving odd postings from friends that won't play, and I understand others are having some trouble posting clips.

I will always try to watch a movie with as good a reputation as Mildred Pierce over again. I'll give it another shot very soon.