Danny Kaye Today!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: Danny Kaye Today!

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thanks, SueSue! Oh my gosh, Danny is astounding with Louis! (and I love the way he imitates him, lol) As soon as you posted the Tickety-Boo lyrics, I was singing them out loud, ha! What a great way to teach your students! Danny is universal! I've always loved the way he used his arms and hands -- with so much grace and flourish. I understand Danny was even more popular across the pond in England than on home turf. I've been reading stuff on Kaye's off-screen prickly personality; no doubt he was a very complex man like most talented people are, also (to play armchair psychiatrist) I believe the death of his mother, when he was 13, probably had a lot to do with this. Apparently she encouraged his creativity so I'm sure that's why many people observed how much he was always "on" and had such a need for attention. (then there's the complicated relationship with Sylvia...) I'm also fascinated by the fact that Danny originally wanted to become a doctor, and later on in life he would hang around hospitals and be allowed to observe operations in progress. But medicine's loss was the world of entertainment's gain.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Glad you are going to be able to enjoy them! The Court Jester and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty are two of my favorites. I also adore Merry Andrew, and I'm crazy about the song "Tickety-Boo" from that film when Danny Kaye is riding his bicycle all through the lovely countryside, and rides along a huge, red double-decker bus, and then the finale is amazing with a bunch of other bicyclers riding and singing along. It's fascinating to imagine how that was filmed and edited.

And I am happy to say that I adored Me and the Colonel. There is a moment in that film that reminds me of The Sound of Music when the nuns save the day, but I won't give it away!
I just finished watching all of them ... he is a gifted entertainer with full of energy and laughter ...
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Wow SueSue, Danny and Bev are fantastic together! Was that from his television show? So funny, lol, was Purina one of the sponsors?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love how you write about Danny, Bronxie. I feel the same way about him. And that opera boffo segment was priceless!

My favorite part of The Court Jester is the end with the guys kneeling down every time Danny shows the baby's bottom. Gosh, I get misty eyed just talking about it. :D :D :D :D

I know you've all seen Melody in 4F before, but here Danny's got a really responsive audience:
[youtube][/youtube]

Hilarious!
[youtube][/youtube]
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:Wow SueSue, Danny and Bev are fantastic together! Was that from his television show? So funny, lol, was Purina one of the sponsors?
I was thinking this too, at first, but from the popular culture references it seems to be about ten years later.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on January 25th, 2013, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Professional Tourist, I'm going to watch that clip again (because my memory always seems to be failing me, lol) and re-catch those cultural references you speak of.

Jackie, I love that USO clip! Always poignant seeing the enlisted men's reactions. Ha, Danny's git-gat was so versatile! It could fit any situation! They also appreciated Yvonne, too, lol. Nice to see Dick entertaining the Navy -- he did a lot of those singing marine pictures but unfortunately here his voice wasn't quite what it used to be...I hadn't seen that What's My Line before. Danny was always a class act, just like John Daly.

The Purple Pimpernel!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:Professional Tourist, I'm going to watch that clip again (because my memory always seems to be failing me, lol) and re-catch those cultural references you speak of.
Looks like it was from 1975:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0534221/
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Your majesty! :D or is it your highness?

that Cosby dentist routine is a CLASSIC! My very favorite of all his extremely funny routines. Did you have the albums?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thanks, Professional Tourist, for that date! Is there anything Danny COULDN'T do?

Your Majesty! lol

That was my first viewing of Danny on the Cosby show -- he's hilarious! I never had any of the albums unfortunately. The genius of how Danny plays the dentist is that he's doing it as part vaudeville skit, but also part gentle comedy realism, in keeping with the nature of the show itself. I could see a real dentist employing some of those kid-friendly techniques, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Jackie, on What's My Line Danny seems so genuinely flattered that the panel's first guess is Maurice Evans!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks for researching the date of the Sills opera parody, PT!
I am going to watch the latest posted clips right now!

I remember loving seeing Danny Kaye on Cosby, and I can remember wanting to be Victoria Meyerlink, who was the little girl on Danny Kaye's television show (1963-1967). IMDB claims Victoria Meyerlink is a member of the Producers Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and is on the Academy Awards Executive Committee, and she and her husband own a production company. She won the Lifetime Achievement award at the Young Artists Awards Ceremony in 2006!

She was so cute. She was also in Speedway with Elvis and Nancy Sinatra. She was one of the William Schallert's kids.

A quote I read attributed to Danny Kaye : Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can.

I love that quote!

And he was definitely beloved by the English...
I love the warning that it will not be extended anymore!
Bronxgirl48 wrote:Thanks, SueSue! Oh my gosh, Danny is astounding with Louis! (and I love the way he imitates him, lol) As soon as you posted the Tickety-Boo lyrics, I was singing them out loud, ha! What a great way to teach your students! Danny is universal! I've always loved the way he used his arms and hands -- with so much grace and flourish. I understand Danny was even more popular across the pond in England than on home turf. I've been reading stuff on Kaye's off-screen prickly personality; no doubt he was a very complex man like most talented people are, also (to play armchair psychiatrist) I believe the death of his mother, when he was 13, probably had a lot to do with this. Apparently she encouraged his creativity so I'm sure that's why many people observed how much he was always "on" and had such a need for attention. (then there's the complicated relationship with Sylvia...) I'm also fascinated by the fact that Danny originally wanted to become a doctor, and later on in life he would hang around hospitals and be allowed to observe operations in progress. But medicine's loss was the world of entertainment's gain.
Singing those lyrics along with the video or even by themselves is so much giggly fun!

Just watched the Cosby clip. I had completly forgotten how adorable it was! He totally connected with those children, and had a way to weave the magic that they all believe life still has. It is so unbelievable heartwarming!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for the above information about Danny Kaye ... and his popularity in England. Interesting reading here. Sue Sue.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:Jackie, on What's My Line Danny seems so genuinely flattered that the panel's first guess is Maurice Evans!
I think he was shocked they actually believed him, and guessed such a high caliber of actors. It's not surprising that they guessed Olivier, Dick Cavett mentioned that Danny has a certain timbre of voice that is exactly like Sir Larry's. Not that they heard him.

On the Cosby show the part that really cracked me up was the line to the dad when he answered for his kid, "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Peter!!"

It's really something seeing him on the Cosby show, because you can totally see how he influenced Cosby. You're totally right about how he fits in the tone of the show. And of course, the fact that Cosby had that dentist routine himself makes it all the more funny.
Last edited by JackFavell on January 26th, 2013, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's days later and I still have the theme from the Mitty the Kid section of SLOWM in my head! I love that song, so western sounding, incorporating Streets of Loredo but this crazY Hollywood 40's swing version. "I wouldn't do that if I was you, Toledo."

[youtube][/youtube]