CINEMATIC MAVENATIC TRANSFORMATION POLL

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

CINEMATIC MAVENATIC TRANSFORMATION POLL

Post by CineMaven »

I was daydreaming. ( I'm retired...I'm allowed. )

My mind was a-wandering hither and yon, when I stopped at this thought:

"Who made the greatest life - altering transformation in their film career?"

So I started to run through folks in my head and came up with a coupla names. And as usual, when it comes to movies, my mind wandered here wondering, "I wonder what they think?" So if you have a moment, please tell me, which one of these folks do you think made the most life-altering transformation in their film career...and tell me why you think so. Or maybe you can think of some people I totally forgot to add and let me know why. C'mon...I hate to be the only one daydreaming.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

FROM EXOTIC -TO - ALL AMERICAN:

ImageImage

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

FROM BLONDE -TO - BRUNETTE:

ImageImage

FROM BRUNETTE -TO - BLONDE:

ImageImage

FROM BOY TENOR -TO - PRIVATE EYE:

ImageImage

FROM TV STAR -TO - MOVIE STAR:

I think these transformations were mind-blowing to the public's perceptions of them...anymore?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Re: CINEMATIC MAVENATIC TRANSFORMATION POLL

Post by ChiO »

Don't forget Rusty to Russ Tamblyn.

Boy actor to teen hoofer to Satan's Sadists to Twin Peaks whatever.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

In case there might be others who would benefit from explanation, I will admit that I don't understand what is meant by a life-altering transformation in an actor's film career -- even after reviewing the examples. Does it refer to extremes of characters they have played? :?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm meaning that when a star made this transformation, it added longevity to their career, or people saw them a totally different way.

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Great topic!
Ida Lupino - blonde to brunette!
John Payne - musicals to Noir.
Richard Widmark - hoodlum to hero.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The two that most readily come to my mind are Frank Sinatra and Dick Powell. Both started out as rather "harmless" crooners and musical comedy personalities, only later on to transform into hard-boiled types. Sinatra's was the grandest leap, with its added patina of sex appeal and swinging lifestyle. Whereas, with Powell, the change was less about appearance than manner and tone.

When I was little, I thought Sinatra was two people. I couldn't believe that the older, fuller-faced and somewhat mean looking guy I saw in pictures was the same as that skinny, plaintive looking bean-pole in older films.
:D

Last edited by MissGoddess on January 24th, 2013, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#800080]Vienna[/color][/u] wrote:Great topic!
Ida Lupino - blonde to brunette!
John Payne - musicals to Noir.
Richard Widmark - hoodlum to hero.
That's the ticket. Thank you Vienna. Totally didn't think of John Payne. I can't do it alone. Thanks.
[u][color=#400080]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:The two that most readily come to my mind are Frank Sinatra and Dick Powell. Both started out as rather "harmless" crooners and musical comedy personalities, only later on to transform into hard-boiled types. Sinatra's was the grandest leap, with its added patina of sex appeal and swinging lifestyle. Whereas, with Powell, the change was less about appearance than manner and tone.

When I was little, I thought Sinatra was two people. I couldn't believe that the older, fuller-faced and somewhat mean looking guy I saw in pictures was the same as that skinny, plaintive looking bean-pole in older films.
:D
Sinatra...Of course! And may I say "brilliant!" Love your explanation of 0l' Blue Eyes. Thanxxx Miss G. :)

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ChiO wrote:Don't forget Rusty to Russ Tamblyn.

Boy actor to teen hoofer to Satan's Sadists to Twin Peaks whatever.
Thanx ChiO!! :) Rustaaaaaaaay!!! Wasn't he Elizabeth Taylor's little brother in "Father of the Bride"? "West Side Story." Oh yeah...and "The Haunting." Changed his persona. Good, I just don't mean playing a different character.

Is there another photo storage place besides Photobucket. This program is acting totally wonky on me after all I did this morning. It keeps asking me to sign in...to my own page!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Gr-r-r-r!

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

sorry the second frank pic didn't come out before.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Professional Tourist wrote:In case there might be others who would benefit from explanation, I will admit that I don't understand what is meant by a life-altering transformation in an actor's film career -- even after reviewing the examples. Does it refer to extremes of characters they have played? :?
CineMaven wrote:I'm meaning that when a star made this transformation, it added longevity to their career, or people saw them a totally different way.
Well, I still don't grasp this concept of 'transformation' but I'm glad to see that others do.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Humphrey Bogart from matinee idol to rugged anti hero.

James Cagney from gangster to song and dance man and back again.

Charles Boyer from playing villans to romantic leading man.

Errol Flynn from corpse to adventure hero.

Loretta Young from sweet ingenue to businesswoman and someone who would not have an affair with any man not even Spencer Tracy or Clark Gable.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]Professional Tourist[/u] wrote:Well, I still don't grasp this concept of 'transformation' but I'm glad to see that others do.
No worries, P.T.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]MissGoddess[/u] wrote:sorry the second frank pic didn't come out before.
I see him now Miss G. Man, I kind of forget when he WAS that beanpole that didn't quite stand a chance with the girl if Gene Kelly was around. Not that there's anything wrong with Betty Garrett. Thanxx again.

[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:Humphrey Bogart from matinee idol to rugged anti hero.

James Cagney from gangster to song and dance man and back again.

Charles Boyer from playing villans to romantic leading man.

Errol Flynn from corpse to adventure hero.
Look at Bogie's filmography on IMDB. See him play second banana gangsters behind Cagney or Raft. He was always gettin' killed. Then see him in "High Sierra" ( released Jan. 25th, 1941 ) and then "The Maltese Falcon" ( released 10/18/1941. ) He becomes the anti-hero like you say. Ha...Bogie doesn't get killed anymore...he dies. He's on his way to Legend status. Hmmmm...didn't somebody else we know turn down those scripts??? :shock:

I learn something new ev'ry day here...I never knew Boyer played villains. Sheesh. What was his turnaround role Alison? Awwww my little Flynnster:

I think of LULU singing "To Sir With Love." Going from crayons to perfume. So that's going from really undiscovered...an extra... to becoming a star. Do you think after he became the Star, he just continued with playing all manner of swashbucklers? The same type, whether he was a cowboy or a pirate or a man who robbed from the rich to give to the poor...or a consort to a Queen? Same swash...different buckles?? :shock:
Loretta Young from sweet ingenue to businesswoman and someone who would not have an affair with any man not even Spencer Tracy or Clark Gable.
Haha...You mean: "...not have an affair with any man not even (( AGAIN )) Spencer Tracy or Clark Gable."

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't mean to denigrate Dick Powell in any way, I love him, but Fred MacMurray did it first:

ImageImage

ImageImage

AND BACK AGAIN:

ImageImage