WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
Feinberg

Re: WHAT YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY!

Post by Feinberg »

KayFrancis wrote: April 20th, 2023, 2:08 pm Thompson, sounds like a heart attack on a plate lol
I had to laugh when an old friend of the family once told us about working in a factory just after the war in Coventry. She said on Mondays you would have to hurry to the cafeteria as it was 'bread and dripping' day. Of course, 'dripping' is the concealed beef fat from the Sunday roast. Spreading it on white bread was a big treat!
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Thompson wrote: April 25th, 2023, 5:37 am Columbo was always peeling and eating a hard boiled egg that he carried around in the pocket of his famous raincoat. He also preferred chili over caviar. I’m not sure if he favored chili with or without beans. Speaking for myself, I always opt for chili with beans. Fiber, you see, and the magical fruit. The more you eat the more you . . .
Actually, beans aren't the magical fruit, but instead, the musical fruit. You know, the more you eat, the more you toot! ;)

And Columbo and chili is legendary. And I'm in agreement when he once said concerning chili in an episode, "You see, it's the crackers that make the dish!" And I'm betting he preferred chili instead of caviar. ;) Putting chili over caviar won't really help the taste of caviar. :D

And more on heating tortillas... My younger daughter has a glass topped electric stove and heats 'em up on just the top, no pan involved.

Sepiatone
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

When we have chili and tomales, it pretty much means it's time to go to the store.
As for green beans, they go good with bacon. It smells so good while cooking.
It is different from frying bacon.
Heating tortillas directly on our electric stove sounds tricky. Low is not predictable.
We cheat our way with tacos, using the ready-made shells. They are microwave friendly.
Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Off topic somewhat but here is a tip about opening a can of beer. If you pour your can of beer into a glass then disregard this post because that is the proper thing to do with a can of beer, pour it in a glass. However, when it’s 3:30 in the morning and you go to sneak one, a can of beer, you can’t use a glass because you can’t see to pour it in a glass. All the cans of course have the tabs that open the cans. The problem with the tab openings is that they are too big and allow for too much air to be swallowed with every swig. Nobody wants air, they want beer. So — har har — because of a faulty tab I was forced to use my trusty church key to open the can resulting in a much smaller opening with much less air swallowing and a better drink of beer.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The pork chops have a lot of gristle, the ones I cooked today. Sorry about that. They didn’t look gristly in the grocery store. Some people like gristle, my landlord swears by gristle, he likes chicken gristle and buffalo gristle and gristle of all kinds, even shrimp gristle and lutefisk gristle. He’s insane you know, he gets up at 4am and does experiments. I’m afraid the police might show up but apparently he works part time on the force so he’s covered there. He owns the house, you see, it’s a double shotgun, and he has friends in high places.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Thompson ... A blind friend taught me the trick to pouring without looking.
Put a finger around the top of the glass and leave it there.
Pour until your finger gets wet.
Spilling beer constitutes alcohol abuse.
How can beer be off-topic?
Beer is liquid bread.
I also know the trick to opening the proper side of a milk carton with my eyes closed.
Feel the top of the carton for the 45 degree crease, and that's the side to open.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

jimimac71 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 3:17 pm Thompson ... A blind friend taught me the trick to pouring without looking.
Put a finger around the top of the glass and leave it there.
Pour until your finger gets wet.
Spilling beer constitutes alcohol abuse.
How can beer be off-topic?
Beer is liquid bread.
I also know the trick to opening the proper side of a milk carton with my eyes closed.
Feel the top of the carton for the 45 degree crease, and that's the side to open.
That is a brilliant poem jimimac.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jimimac71 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 3:17 pm Beer is liquid bread.
Any beer I don't care for becomes the liquid ingredient for home baked loaf of bread. Yummy delicious for any dough recipe, like pizza!

Right now we're drinking:
Of course we love the picture of the oldey timey PO. Aside from the fruited/sours "trendy kids" beers, I have loved EVERYTHING this brewery makes, a MUST STOP whenever in Ohio.

And my private stash, a New Years gift almost gone:

In cans...just doesn't taste the same as I remember when made at Dixie Brewery, in bottles. Tastes kind of syrup-y.
Is it me or has it changed?
Masha

Post by Masha »

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

A friend of mine from the Great White North was in South Carolina in the 80's and told a waitress that there was an odd taste to the white wine that she had just ordered. To which the waitress replied, "no problem, I'll just open another can."
Last edited by Feinberg on April 30th, 2023, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

TikiSoo wrote: April 29th, 2023, 8:17 am
jimimac71 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 3:17 pm Beer is liquid bread.
Any beer I don't care for becomes the liquid ingredient for home baked loaf of bread. Yummy delicious for any dough recipe, like pizza!

Right now we're drinking:
Of course we love the picture of the oldey timey PO. Aside from the fruited/sours "trendy kids" beers, I have loved EVERYTHING this brewery makes, a MUST STOP whenever in Ohio.

And my private stash, a New Years gift almost gone:

In cans...just doesn't taste the same as I remember when made at Dixie Brewery, in bottles. Tastes kind of syrup-y.
Is it me or has it changed?
Beer is always better in bottles, just like whiskey. Cans and plastic bottles are certainly convenient and cheaper, but there is a difference. Besides, here in New Orleans the garbage guys have to manhandle the garbage cans into the truck. 3 cases of cans is a lot lighter than 3 cases of bottles.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Ya see, I do have empathy, I have it.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Masha wrote: April 29th, 2023, 8:56 am Image
This is so hilarious!
I suspect it could come in a 12 or 24 pack.
Didn’t think Jack could expire.
That’s the size for my school lunch, right?
Masha

Post by Masha »

TikiSoo wrote: April 29th, 2023, 8:17 am Any beer I don't care for becomes the liquid ingredient for home baked loaf of bread. Yummy delicious for any dough recipe, like pizza!
My little Fuzzy uses beer for his best roast.

A sirloin tip roast of three to five pounds is seared and allowed to cool. He then freezes it for a minimum of two days. The bottom of a dutch oven is covered with new potatoes. A bag of baby carrots is scattered on top of them. The roast goes on top. A bottle of beer is poured over the roast. Onion soup mix is sprinkled onto the roast. One onion is cut into quarters and placed between roast and walls of dutch oven. One onion is sliced and papered over the roast. The top of the dutch oven is placed and sealed to the bottom with a strip of aluminum foil. It is roasted at two hundred degrees for several hours.

I do not know why the freezing is so important. I have duplicated all ingredients and steps except freezing the roast first and it is very good but it is not as wonderful as his.

Using a single bottle of beer is much better than the several cups of beef broth which many recipes require.
Masha

Post by Masha »

jimimac71 wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:40 pm
That’s the size for my school lunch, right?
Perhaps if you are the teacher.