Series Finales

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
txfilmfan

Re: Series Finales

Post by txfilmfan »

The likely winner of the first "big" U.S. series finale would probably have to go to ABC's The Fugitive. There were a couple of series that had definitive ending episodes prior to that, like Leave it to Beaver and The Dick Van Dyke Show, but they were largely retrospective clip shows. Route 66 also had a finale, rare for a drama, as did Perry Mason, in a way, but it was more an an insider's salute rather than something dramatic, like Mason closing his practice, or some such. It featured Erle Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason author) in his only appearance on the show, along with some crew members. A nice touch.

But The Fugitive actually closed out a years-long story arc with its finale, and it drew over a 70 share (70% of TVs on during the airing were tuned to it). That is nearly as large a share as M*A*S*H got for its TV movie final episode.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I've just watched the final episode of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, a series that I came late to, thanks to a recommendation from friends in London. I enjoyed the earlier episodes, and particularly the ones that took place in the Catskills. The rest of the series has some nice location shooting in New York City, which I appreciated, since, like Mrs. Maisel, I live on the UWS.

Despite enjoying it, I found many of the characters annoying and totally OTT, and some of the storylines too silly. Also, they observed the current rules of situation comedy, i.e. throw as much into every episode as you can. Nevertheless, I stuck with it. The final season (5) dropped recently, and the last episode (Season 5 episode 9) just last week. The final season has some good moments, particularly the episode with Susie's roast at the Friars' Club. The final episode is ok, the resolution is fine, although it was a bit of a hodgepodge. The Lenny Bruce character returns -- I'm not sure that was necessary -- but he was popular. They got the timelines pretty accurate, e.g. someone playing Carol Burnett sings "Shy" from Once Upon a Mattress on a TV show.

And the very end is kind of cute.

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Best ever - Six Feet Under

Worst ever - The Sopranos
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

skimpole wrote: June 5th, 2023, 1:46 am
Intrepid37 wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 11:16 pm
Why The Sopranos? Many would consider it one of the best finales.
Nobody I know.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

The Odd Couple (1970-1975) was my favorite TV show and my favorite finale. Unlike many other sitcoms, it brought the story to a conclusion.

Felix gets married again to his ex wife and Oscar is ecstatic about having his apartment to himself again.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

skimpole wrote: June 5th, 2023, 1:46 am
Intrepid37 wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 11:16 pm
Why The Sopranos? Many would consider it one of the best finales.
My POV is that it depends on a viewer's sense of imagination. I.e. some wish for everything to be spelled out and on the other side are those that welcome ambiguity.