TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Thompson

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by Thompson »

Quoting Lenny, I have nothing to offer / nothing to teach / except that the goal / falls short of the reach.

Or Malcolm — Malcolm Lowry / late of the Bowery / his prose were flowery / and often glowery / he lived nightly / drank daily / and died playing the ukulele
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:58 pm
This is encouraging, but will it still be there after Feb 15. This is the date given for the actual disappearance of the TCM Forum. It is still viewable right now in its usual place. I wonder who initiated the process and saw it through to Archive dot com? Anyway, if it is there to stay, wahoo!!

Thanks, Liam.
I got the message "the wayback machine has not archived this url."
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Feinberg wrote: February 4th, 2023, 11:27 pm I got the message "the wayback machine has not archived this url."
It loaded for me. It took a few seconds longer than most things to load up, but it's there. I have the Foreign Film thread open in another window at the moment.
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LawrenceA wrote: February 4th, 2023, 11:30 pm
Feinberg wrote: February 4th, 2023, 11:27 pm I got the message "the wayback machine has not archived this url."
It loaded for me. It took a few seconds longer than most things to load up, but it's there. I have the Foreign Film thread open in another window at the moment.
And loaded for me too, and I had delay as you did. Who arranged it? Who made this happen?
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
TGJ

Post by TGJ »

I noticed https://forums.tcm.com/ has gone back to the old TCM logo as well as changed the way the message board is typed. It looks great compared to the “new” logo that was on before.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

LawrenceA wrote: February 4th, 2023, 11:30 pm
The site had loaded okay but it said no such url has been archived. However ... I found MY problem. I was copying and pasting the url which did not work but clicking directly on it did work. Thanks and sorry for taking up space on this!! :D
Lydecker may be pleased. Those scheduling challenges took an incredible amount of work. Coming up with titles was the easy part.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:37 pm
Swithin wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:27 pm
:smiley_cheer:
I mean YE-AH!! YAH-WHOO-WEE !!!

But how long will it be there? Worry wart laffite.

Who initiated this? Curious to know.

But in the meantime : :smiley_yeah:
Archive.org is a non-profit organization that attempts to archive the Internet (among other things, like TV). It's independent of TCM, WB or other corporations. The only danger (other than archive.org going defunct, as mentioned) is if TCM/WB-Discovery files a copyright claim, which is unlikely, but still possible. There's little likelihood TCM could derive any monetary value from message board postings.
NotAnAnimal!!

Post by NotAnAnimal!! »

txfilmfan wrote: February 5th, 2023, 1:58 pm Archive.org is a non-profit organization that attempts to archive the Internet (among other things, like TV). It's independent of TCM, WB or other corporations. The only danger (other than archive.org going defunct, as mentioned) is if TCM/WB-Discovery files a copyright claim, which is unlikely, but still possible. There's little likelihood TCM could derive any monetary value from message board postings.
Correct. Archive-Team (who is independent of archive.org) did the archiving at my warning about it going down. Hope it works ok.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I noticed odd activity on the old TCM forum. I pop over there every couple of weeks. I pulled up the "All Activity" link, which should show nothing recent, but I was surprised to see that new users were added, for some reason - all with a "TCM Staff" tag on January 31 and February 1. I recognize a couple of names, notably Charles Tabesh. There were 10 such users added.

It's just curious that TCM folks would be added to the forum when it's shutting down in a matter of days. And there's really no reason to even add users (the user accounts say they're READ ONLY) if all they're going to do is read posts, because anyone with access to the URL can browse the forum.
laffite

Post by laffite »

txfilmfan wrote: February 10th, 2023, 5:44 pm I noticed odd activity on the old TCM forum. I pop over there every couple of weeks. I pulled up the "All Activity" link, which should show nothing recent, but I was surprised to see that new users were added, for some reason - all with a "TCM Staff" tag on January 31 and February 1. I recognize a couple of names, notably Charles Tabesh. There were 10 such users added.

It's just curious that TCM folks would be added to the forum when it's shutting down in a matter of days. And there's really no reason to even add users (the user accounts say they're READ ONLY) if all they're going to do is read posts, because anyone with access to the URL can browse the forum.
The TCM has become a monster. Horror fans should love it even better.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

The TCM message boards are all gone...
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

nakanosunplaza wrote: February 15th, 2023, 3:28 pm The TCM message boards are all gone...
Yeah, but you can still sign in. LOL
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

scsu1975 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 5:41 pm
nakanosunplaza wrote: February 15th, 2023, 3:28 pm The TCM message boards are all gone...
Yeah, but you can still sign in. LOL
What comes up? Nothing? LOL!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: February 15th, 2023, 6:17 pm What comes up? Nothing? LOL!
The only message that is left appears:

"Posted October 19, 2022

After nearly 20 years, TCM (Turner Classic Movies) has sunset the TCM Message Board/Forums on tcm.com. The TCM Forums have been a place for fans to meet up and share their love of classic films and we are proud of the community they have created that will forever stay with the story of TCM.

We understand that this news may be disappointing to our members but know that we did not make this decision lightly. Fortunately, there are several discussion forums across the internet for fans around the world to participate in.

We want to thank you for the years of passionate classic film discussions that took place on the forums, and we hope that you continue to seek out forums to keep those discussions going. To stay up to date on the latest TCM news, make sure you are signed up for TCM emails at https://preferences.tcm.com/.

Thank you again for being a part of the TCM community."

Attachments are still on the TCM Message Boards.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields