TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
laffite

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by laffite »

Hello All

Let's hope that TCM Channel will be with us a decent while. Such a great spring board for discussion

Glad you are here.

----laffite
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Are you going to use the Giant Claw avatar again?
[/quote]

I'd love to, but can't understand how to do it here :roll:
[/quote]

You save the picture and then go to your profile and change it just like on the old board. The profile is in the right hand corner.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ziggy6708a wrote: November 1st, 2022, 6:46 pm
LawrenceA wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 8:51 pm
ziggy6708a wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 7:09 pm good to see this site reviving again with old timers & new TCM board refugees :D
I was 'mr6666' on TCM board
:)
Are you going to use the Giant Claw avatar again?
You save the picture and then go to your profile and change it just like on the old board. The profile is in the right hand corner.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 1:32 pm
Cuthbert wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 7:30 am
Have you taken the name Masha from Chekhov? I used to get confused by all the Mashas in his works. I assume you are not naming yourself for the depressing character in The Seagull!
Masha has been my nickname several times in my life. It is from folklore. The meaning ranges from: "whimsically precocious girl" to "willful brat" depending on the mother's or lover's level of exasperation.

A popular current video series captures the basic nature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqqhZ8Fs ... R&index=26

My username on: TCM.com forums was: SansFin.
The Masha in Three Sisters is probably more the "willful brat" that "whimsically precocious girl" and as far as the level of exasperation questions, I have no idea. But I really like her. She is the most aggressive of the three and I admire Janet Suzman's portrayal in a Play of the Month decades ago by the BBC.. I wanted to click on the link regarding the basic nature, but am loathe to try it lest I never get back, due to forum irregularities. I will take a look later.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

ziggy6708a wrote: November 1st, 2022, 6:46 pm
LawrenceA wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 8:51 pm Are you going to use the Giant Claw avatar again?
I just did mine. Select Profile from the user name dropdown box; Select edit profile shown after user name; Select edit avatar; Choose Upload Avatar instead of Gallary Avatar in dropdown box; Browse to your Claw image; Press Submit
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

laffite wrote: November 1st, 2022, 7:06 pm Hello All

Let's hope that TCM Channel will be with us a decent while. Such a great spring board for discussion

----laffite
That it is. However, I've been on a bit of a tear after discovering plenty of rare Paramount, Universal, and Columbia films on the internet, and it is such a treat to look at them.....
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

CinemaInternational wrote: November 4th, 2022, 4:08 pm I've been on a bit of a tear after discovering plenty of rare Paramount, Universal, and Columbia films on the internet, and it is such a treat to look at them.....
Finding multiples in any specific spot(s) other than YouTube?
laffite

Post by laffite »

CinemaInternational wrote: November 4th, 2022, 4:08 pm
laffite wrote: November 1st, 2022, 7:06 pm Hello All

----laffite
That it is. However, I've been on a bit of a tear after discovering plenty of rare Paramount, Universal, and Columbia films on the internet, and it is such a treat to look at them.....
Cool. I have always underestimated the value of the internet with regard to movies. One can check whether or not a particular movie is in the public domain by googling "Is _____ in the public domain?" and one gets the answer.. I got this from one of TCM Moderators just recently by PM. I should know what the policy is here regarding that if they even cover it, but I don't. TCM is allowing full movies being posted so long as they passed the test. Maybe SSO does not allow. Not that that is your point. Simply recommending a movie and mentioning that it is available on the Net is enough. I have never even posted a full movie at TCM. Just a FYI.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

speedracer5 wrote: October 21st, 2022, 11:40 pm Maybe if we can get all the "good" posters over here and revitalize this community, we can leave all the riff-raff behind.
Too late....one of them has already arrived here - ME! No, really...let's hope this poster steps up their game and learns to write cohesive sentences while here.

But GREAT TO SEE wonderfully literate GGGerald, Holden, CinemaInternational, Bronxie, jameselliott, LawrenceA, Lydecker, Ray and speedy with her original avatar!
Sorry, I have to say not a fan of Holden & Moe's new cartoon avatars, I loved the photos you both had "over there". But I can easily ID your posts by the picture-I'll get used to it.
Sad to see SansFin's rocket blaster picture gone, that was so brilliant. Your avatar here reminds me of mine; black & white flapper wearing a big round hat.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

TikiSoo wrote: November 10th, 2022, 7:31 am
speedracer5 wrote: October 21st, 2022, 11:40 pm Maybe if we can get all the "good" posters over here and revitalize this community, we can leave all the riff-raff behind.
Too late....one of them has already arrived here - ME! No, really...let's hope this poster steps up their game and learns to write cohesive sentences while here.

But GREAT TO SEE wonderfully literate GGGerald, Holden, CinemaInternational, Bronxie, jameselliott, LawrenceA, Lydecker, Ray and speedy with her original avatar!
Sorry, I have to say not a fan of Holden & Moe's new cartoon avatars, I loved the photos you both had "over there". But I can easily ID your posts by the picture-I'll get used to it.
Sad to see SansFin's rocket blaster picture gone, that was so brilliant. Your avatar here reminds me of mine; black & white flapper wearing a big round hat.
Thanks! It's great to see you here too, Tiki!
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

OK, who's going to start an "I Just Watched" thread? Speedy?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: November 12th, 2022, 7:37 am OK, who's going to start an "I Just Watched" thread? Speedy?
A thread titled "I Just Watched" is not needed. There is already a comparable thread titled What Films Have You Seen Lately?
Last edited by EP Millstone on November 29th, 2022, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Masha

Post by Masha »

TikiSoo wrote: November 10th, 2022, 7:31 am
I thank you for your kind words. I yet feel as if that avatar was a bit of a failure because it did not inspire others to create more avatars in rebellion to the grotesque intrusion. I suppose that all I can do is sigh and lament that I was not destined to be a muse.

My avatar is of: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya. She predated the flappers.

She was the first great star of silent movies. Her beauty and charm led one of the leading directors of the day to cast her in a magnificent movie. She was instantly popular both on-screen and off. She was in perhaps one-hundred movies in five years. It is sad to say that five only are extant and there are sections of three others.

She was such a great actress and was so much beloved that there is life-sized statue of her in Odesa.

She was only twenty-five years old when she was murdered in 1919 by the French who believed she was having an affair with their Ambassador and feared that he might tell her government secrets in order to impress her with how important he was. Thousand lined the street for her funeral and a short film of it became the most popular movie for months after.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Well, looks like it’s finally down for good now. :(
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

It was down, and now it seems to be live again. I just posted.