TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jimimac71

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by jimimac71 »

LostHorizons wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 1:26 pm Well RIP to the old site. Wonder how long the channel has left?
I don't miss the old forum but do wonder how much gas is left in the tank at TCM.
Warner Bros. Discovery doesn't seem to care all that much, eh?
NotAnAnimal!!

Post by NotAnAnimal!! »

skimpole wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 3:21 am
NotAnAnimal!! wrote: February 5th, 2023, 3:37 pm
txfilmfan wrote: February 5th, 2023, 1:58 pm Archive.org is a non-profit organization that attempts to archive the Internet (among other things, like TV). It's independent of TCM, WB or other corporations. The only danger (other than archive.org going defunct, as mentioned) is if TCM/WB-Discovery files a copyright claim, which is unlikely, but still possible. There's little likelihood TCM could derive any monetary value from message board postings.
Correct. Archive-Team (who is independent of archive.org) did the archiving at my warning about it going down. Hope it works ok.
It doesn't seem to. I looked up one thread and wasn't able to proceed very far. And you can't really search it.
In regards to searching it, the inability to do so sucks but is to be expected I guess as that probly relies on the backend to serve a unique page, but you might be able to use google to find what you want by doing a search there by typing: site:forums.tcm.com Marx Bros etc. and then copying and pasting the url you need into archive.org and going from there. Worth a shot. :smiley_cheers:
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

...and last night they sunsetted TCM Underground...
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Allhallowsday wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:45 am ...and last night they sunsetted TCM Underground...
It’s been repeats for the most part the last few years anyways.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

^ I'm sure you're right, but I did look at crap like FLESHPOT ON 42nd STREET and THE VELVET VAMPIRE and FROM BEYOND and EATING RAOUL all in the last year or so... even ROBOCOP!
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I just learned about this "sunsetting" of TCM.com's message boards the day before yesterday. Having been a member there for about a dozen years or so, I possess very fond memories of posting on those boards every day. My most recent visit there had been in October and now I just found out that the boards were shut down the very next month after that. This prompted me to contact misswonderly to express how sad I feel about this and to offer my condolences to her for having lost such a beloved community. And I'm so glad I did, because now I know that this is where the diaspora has landed!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

For what it worth, TCM, the channel itself, received a momentary side swipe this past week, on what, ironically, was a show on TCM's sister network HBO. This past Friday's episode of Real Time with Bill Maher was capped off at the end with an 8 minute opinion piece on the absurdity of content "trigger warnings" in all walks of contemporary culture, and TCM was brought up by name replete with a picture of Jacqueline Stewart, with Maher saying something to the effect of "Turner Classic Movies will still show you the old film but they will first tell you how bad some of what you are going to see is. Now sit back and enjoy the show", whereupon a title card for Gone with the Wind appeared.

Personally, I do find it a bit aggravating when turning into a film in prime time anymore. Most who turn into TCM know the ins and outs, the good and the bad, in history and don't need to be reminded that slavery was wrong, or blackface or demeaning insults directed at various people were bad. And the earnest reminders of it get so heavy-handed so very quickly. I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the umpteenth time the other night when it was on, and I ditched the film immediately after it ended, because I was certain that Ben's words after the film would be another rerun of how racist and terrible Mickey Rooney's performance as Mr. Yunioshi was. Newsflash: It was always that way. It never was good, it was always odd and irritating, and for society to allow a lousy performance that only has three minutes of screentime in an otherwise excellent film that has 106 minutes without him derail the entire reputation of the rest of a sterling classic is absolute poppycock. None of us need to be lectured over something we have known for a long time.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:32 pm For what it worth, TCM, the channel itself, received a momentary side swipe this past week, on what, ironically, was a show on TCM's sister network HBO. This past Friday's episode of Real Time with Bill Maher was capped off at the end with an 8 minute opinion piece on the absurdity of content "trigger warnings" in all walks of contemporary culture, and TCM was brought up by name replete with a picture of Jacqueline Stewart, with Maher saying something to the effect of "Turner Classic Movies will still show you the old film but they will first tell you how bad some of what you are going to see is. Now sit back and enjoy the show", whereupon a title card for Gone with the Wind appeared.

Personally, I do find it a bit aggravating when turning into a film in prime time anymore. Most who turn into TCM know the ins and outs, the good and the bad, in history and don't need to be reminded that slavery was wrong, or blackface or demeaning insults directed at various people were bad. And the earnest reminders of it get so heavy-handed so very quickly. I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the umpteenth time the other night when it was on, and I ditched the film immediately after it ended, because I was certain that Ben's words after the film would be another rerun of how racist and terrible Mickey Rooney's performance as Mr. Yunioshi was. Newsflash: It was always that way. It never was good, it was always odd and irritating, and for society to allow a lousy performance that only has three minutes of screentime in an otherwise excellent film that has 106 minutes without him derail the entire reputation of the rest of a sterling classic is absolute poppycock. None of us need to be lectured over something we have known for a long time.
Just now finished watching Maher's latest "New Rules" segment on YouTube, CI.

And yep, and as usual, he did a good job of skewering the more clueless and overly-sensitive out there among us, alright.

(...couldn't agree more)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:32 pm I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the umpteenth time the other night when it was on, and I ditched the film immediately after it ended, because I was certain that Ben's words after the film would be another rerun of how racist and terrible Mickey Rooney's performance as Mr. Yunioshi was. Newsflash: It was always that way. It never was good, it was always odd and irritating, and for society to allow a lousy performance that only has three minutes of screentime in an otherwise excellent film that has 106 minutes without him derail the entire reputation of the rest of a sterling classic is absolute poppycock. None of us need to be lectured over something we have known for a long time.
Nah, I think Rooney's performance in that was the cherry on top of the whole bowl of dog vomit. Rooney doesn't get full blame, though, as the writer and director, one would assume, had some say over what was said and done by the hired actor. I've always found the movie lousy, and Rooney's shtick the worst part of it.

As to the rest of it, I rarely bothered watching/listening to the intros/outros, and find people getting bent out of shape by them as absurd as the people the "trigger warnings" are supposed to "protect". I'll leave the rest of it alone before it devolves into something more akin to the open sewer that was the old TCM Off-Topics.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: March 6th, 2023, 1:31 am
Nah, I think Rooney's performance in that was the cherry on top of the whole bowl of dog vomit. Rooney doesn't get full blame, though, as the writer and director, one would assume, had some say over what was said and done by the hired actor. I've always found the movie lousy, and Rooney's shtick the worst part of it.

As to the rest of it, I rarely bothered watching/listening to the intros/outros, and find people getting bent out of shape by them as absurd as the people the "trigger warnings" are supposed to "protect". I'll leave the rest of it alone before it devolves into something more akin to the open sewer that was the old TCM Off-Topics.
So then in a nutshell here Lawrence, you're sayin' you personally would tend to much more likely "get bent out of shape" if someone would suggest a viewing of Breakfast at Tiffany's to ya, and regardless if the Mickey Rooney character was in it or not, right?!

(...your apparently strong feelings about this and by your use of the phrase "dog vomit" to define your feelings about this film, led me to this conclusion, ya see) ;)

LOL
Masha

Post by Masha »

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/ne ... -help.html

"Summary: New research suggests that trigger warnings have little or no benefit in cushioning the blow of potentially disturbing content and, in some cases, may make things worse."
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: March 6th, 2023, 2:47 am https://www.psychologicalscience.org/ne ... -help.html

"Summary: New research suggests that trigger warnings have little or no benefit in cushioning the blow of potentially disturbing content and, in some cases, may make things worse."
Ya know where this whole "Trigger Warning" thing started, don't ya?!

Yep, it started years ago and when you'd first walk into a particular museum that was once located in the little high desert town of Apple Valley, California.

Yep, one of the first signs you'd see as you walked into the old Roy Rogers-Dale Evans Museum read:

"WARNING: PREPARE YOURSELF! YEP, ROY ACTUALLY DID HAVE HIS TRUSTY OLD HORSE STUFFED, AND HE'S HERE IN ALL HIS GLORY. JUST PAST THE GIFT SHOP."

(...ya know, sometimes this stuff just writes itself...my way of taking no blame for it, of course)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

LawrenceA wrote: March 6th, 2023, 1:31 am
CinemaInternational wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:32 pm I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the umpteenth time the other night when it was on, and I ditched the film immediately after it ended, because I was certain that Ben's words after the film would be another rerun of how racist and terrible Mickey Rooney's performance as Mr. Yunioshi was. Newsflash: It was always that way. It never was good, it was always odd and irritating, and for society to allow a lousy performance that only has three minutes of screentime in an otherwise excellent film that has 106 minutes without him derail the entire reputation of the rest of a sterling classic is absolute poppycock. None of us need to be lectured over something we have known for a long time.

Normally, I wouldn't have said anything, but I feel that by drawing attention to offensive elements of these films, much of which is limited to only a scene or two, in the intros/outros, or in some things that air in between films, TCM is actually driving some people away from classic films that could, otherwise, be interested in trying films they have never seen. And not just The Breakfast at Tiffany's or The Searchers or the Gone With the Winds or the Blazing Saddles of this world, but from titles that would not cause anyone to bat an eye.

The channel is the only real one stop place for classic films anymore. Sure there are some (mostly entry level) titles on HBO Max, some niche services like the Criterion Channel, the world of DVD/Blu-Ray, and the wild west of YouTube and other video websites, but you have to know what to look for those other ways, and how many are willing these days to go searching for cinematic deep cuts? How many want to pass beyond the chatter of new releases and what film was seen the most in theatres over the latest weekend? I have personally found it exceedingly hard to even suggest a film to others anymore, because the prospect of a film that isn't brand new scares people seemingly.

So yes, I did get a bit bent out of shape for a second over the intros, and I apologize for looking stupid and for being irritating to you and probably someone else too, but being a classic film fan is, in places other than here, sometimes a very lonely existence in this chilly day and age, and it just feels sad that things like this might make it even more solitary in the future.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LawrenceA wrote: March 6th, 2023, 1:31 am I've always found the movie lousy, and Rooney's shtick the worst part of it.
Somewhat agree with that. I've never thought it a good film, just OK. I think it gets attention just for Audrey & her clothes.

I have noticed the warning about "smoking" isn't used any more...possibly because of the popularity of vape/smoking among today's youth? Heh, it's whatever the "problem" is today.

As for movies being "insensitive" and needing a warning- :headbang: it's just stoopid.
These warnings are placating those who don't realize it's not a reflection of them personally & you can't change the PAST.

Isn't it far more shocking when you actually see the stereotyped behaviour without warning?

I'm going to see a concert in a few months & the songs this guy sings are often misogynistic- some of the lyrics made me cringe even as a young girl! Instead of being upset about it, I marvel at how far we've come in 50 years!
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Trigger warnings strike me as a tool for the purpose of making the populace emotionally weaker.

Making people "woke" just might be making life more difficult for everyone.

Except maybe for the "influencers". Ka-ching.

My hope is that this too will pass. That woke will become nothing more than a social phase on which we will look back, shaking our heads.