TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ziggy6708a

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by ziggy6708a »

How do yous guys feel about his "Monthly Giveaway" prize/bait idea?
Seems kinda smarmy to me....
"where three people will win a gift card that can be used towards the purchase of classic movies or books on Amazon, or whatever a person wants to use it towards.

Any registered member on this site who posts at least ten times during the month will be entered into the monthly drawing.......
Amazon gift cards will be given to three winners...each gift card valued at $10.

To claim the gift card, a winner will have to provide a valid email in order to receive the link to redeem the gift card.

This is just an idea I had to show appreciation! I know some people are on a fixed income and may like getting a freebie..."
===========================================

clever marketing or fawning baiting??
:?:  
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Who is paying for the gift cards???
laffite

Post by laffite »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:42 pm How do yous guys feel about his "Monthly Giveaway" prize/bait idea?
"where three people will win a gift card that can be used towards the purchase of classic movies or books on Amazon, or whatever a person wants to use it towards.

Any registered member on this site who posts at least ten times during the month will be entered into the monthly drawing.......
Amazon gift cards will be given to three winners...each gift card valued at $10.

To claim the gift card, a winner will have to provide a valid email in order to receive the link to redeem the gift card.

This is just an idea I had to show appreciation! I know some people are on a fixed income and may like getting a freebie..."

Are you sure you are posting on the right forum? I hear that something like this is going on at the "other" site. (where the Admin has a moniker "God.")

I have not heard anything like this over here. Something new?

I generally disapprove of these gimmick-y type things, but would be perfectly indifferent if a lot of members here would want it. I would probably not enter the drawing.
"Pippo"
laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 6:16 pm
ziggy6708a wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:42 pm How do yous guys feel about his "Monthly Giveaway" prize/bait idea?

Are you sure you are posting on the right forum? I hear that something like this is going on at the "other" site. (where the Admin has a moniker "God.")

I generally disapprove of these gimmick-y type things. Whatever, though.
"Pippo"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:00 pm I've noticed some posters aren't on either site. Have they given up on us? :( I've been doing some poster searching on both sites. There are some people I miss already. It's not like we can count on new people just showing up like on TCM's. Unless we get some disenchanted ones from Tops board. I hope we can keep this place going.
Hibi, have you or anyone you know of heard from Lorna? Or for that matter, from scsu (Rich)?

(...speaking of people we miss)
laffite

Post by laffite »

I spoke to Rich a few days ago. He is thinking of coming over here. He seems busy. I asked him whether he might resume his brilliant 100 Years silent film thread and and he said maybe though it would probably be every two weeks instead of every week. He is such an intelligent, funny guy, I wish he comes over here.

Hibi, I only heard reently that mighe be definite news, he was so devastated with the demise of the forum that he was sort of broke down. You may have read the same thing. Or perhaps this is old news. I have no insider news.
Last edited by laffite on December 5th, 2022, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pippo"
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

To me, it’s just whatever. I wouldn’t join up because of that offer (ten whole dollars in 2022!) but also it’s probably the least offensive thing about his site. My question is if he has that money to dump away why not spend the 80 dollars a month on an Invision board and then we could have a new site identical to the old one at the TCM board? That’s an example of him wasting money and being cheap at the same time when he could have saved the money and made everyone actually respect him if he bought an Invision board.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I generally disapprove of these gimmick-y type things, but would be perfectly indifferent if a lot of members here would want it. I would probably not enter the drawing.
He is asking us what we think of Mr. MacDonald using that as a gimmick on his site.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Hibi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:52 pm Yeah, I noticed Nips is over there. He can have him!
And Sepia and LuckyDan too. It’s like his site specifically picked up all the annoying people.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: December 5th, 2022, 6:49 pm

He is asking us what we think of Mr. MacDonald using that as a gimmick on his site.
Got it, thanks.

I don't believe TopGod has garnered that many new members since the Nov 30. He had 67 before and now he has 79, and he seems stuck there. A net gain of 12. We have had more since then here. It was ghost town prior to Nov 30 and is seems bustling a bit now.
"Pippo"
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Got it, thanks.

I don't believe TopGod has garnered that many new members since the Nov 30. He had 67 before and now he has 79, and he seems stuck there. A net gain of 12. We have had more since then here. It was ghost town prior to Nov 30 and is seems bustling a bit now.
Instead of doing the raffle he should have just bought a new effing Invision board. Then he would have actually been a “god” to the TCM fan base for doing that.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:12 pm

Got it, thanks.

Instead of doing the raffle he should have just bought a new effing Invision board. Then he would have actually been a “god” to the TCM fan base for doing that.
If I have it right, he would pay $30 a month for the gift cards. Invision Community is $99 a month.
"Pippo"
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

kingrat wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:15 pm It's nice to have some familiar faces here. I've finally been able to get a new password, not remembering the one from, what, seven years back?
I've discovered some of your great posts here from years ago!

I'm glad you're back.
Masha

Post by Masha »

At the bottom of this forum's homepage is a small section labeled: "Who Is Online". It is a five-minute running total of how many are viewing the site. A short time ago the count was: forty-seven. Only a few were registered users but it does indicate there is interest. I would not be surprised if the total was occasionally eighty or above.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

I went to the site and just watched the "raffle" draw in which the lady thanks their "supporters." Doe he not get money from advertisers on his site?