TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
txfilmfan

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by txfilmfan »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:32 pm For what it worth, TCM, the channel itself, received a momentary side swipe this past week, on what, ironically, was a show on TCM's sister network HBO. This past Friday's episode of Real Time with Bill Maher was capped off at the end with an 8 minute opinion piece on the absurdity of content "trigger warnings" in all walks of contemporary culture, and TCM was brought up by name replete with a picture of Jacqueline Stewart, with Maher saying something to the effect of "Turner Classic Movies will still show you the old film but they will first tell you how bad some of what you are going to see is. Now sit back and enjoy the show", whereupon a title card for Gone with the Wind appeared.

Personally, I do find it a bit aggravating when turning into a film in prime time anymore. Most who turn into TCM know the ins and outs, the good and the bad, in history and don't need to be reminded that slavery was wrong, or blackface or demeaning insults directed at various people were bad. And the earnest reminders of it get so heavy-handed so very quickly. I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the umpteenth time the other night when it was on, and I ditched the film immediately after it ended, because I was certain that Ben's words after the film would be another rerun of how racist and terrible Mickey Rooney's performance as Mr. Yunioshi was. Newsflash: It was always that way. It never was good, it was always odd and irritating, and for society to allow a lousy performance that only has three minutes of screentime in an otherwise excellent film that has 106 minutes without him derail the entire reputation of the rest of a sterling classic is absolute poppycock. None of us need to be lectured over something we have known for a long time.
It's not always the case. Neither Rooney nor his character were mentioned at all in the intro or outro this time around. The main emphasis of both segments this time was Capote's disappointment with the film adaptation.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: March 6th, 2023, 1:31 am . . . I . . . find people getting bent out of shape by them as absurd as the people the "trigger warnings" are supposed to "protect" . . .
Totally agree with the first part of that statement. I don't find sensitivity, attentiveness, and empathy toward "the people the 'trigger warnings' are supposed to 'protect' " absurd.
TikiSoo wrote: March 6th, 2023, 7:42 am . . . These warnings are placating those who don't realize it's not a reflection of them personally & you can't change the PAST . . .
How do YOU know what "those" people realize?
Intrepid37 wrote: March 6th, 2023, 9:41 am . . . Making people "woke" just might be making life more difficult for everyone . . .
:roll: Here we go with splenetic, reactionary protests about Wokeism.
LawrenceA wrote: March 6th, 2023, 1:31 am . . . I'll leave the rest of it alone before it devolves into something more akin to the open sewer that was the old TCM Off-Topics.
You're remarkably prescient . . . or at least have an extremely keen sense of smell, LawrenceA. For me, the stench of the sewer is already evident based on the recent tone and direction of this topic.

I'm going to go out on a limb and presume that the respondents who are triggered by "woke" "trigger warnings" are White Folks who view the world through White lenses.

2045 can't come fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by EP Millstone on March 6th, 2023, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm going to see an updated adaptation of Phaedra in London next week, starring Janet McTeer. The National Theatre's website offers this trigger warning:

Suitability

Please note: This is a multilingual production with English subtitles. It also contains very strong language, offensive language, sexual references, sexual content, nudity, description of graphic violence and self harm, depiction of suicide and themes which some people may find upsetting. There will be periods of sustained darkness throughout the performance.

Another play I am seeing (Richmond Theatre) -- A Little Life starring James Norton -- has this warning:

This production includes strong language, nudity, sexual violence, physical and emotional abuse, self-harm, and suicide
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Swithin wrote: March 6th, 2023, 11:43 am offers this trigger warning:
(snipped)
has this warning:
(snipped)
Thanks for posting that, I had no idea this sort of thing is now done for live performances too. Makes me wonder if it's simply to protect the production from being sued.
I can't imagine anyone walking out because of a warning.

Believe you me, I am bothered by violence in a movie, the more involved I am with the charactors/story, the worst my reaction. That's personal, I don't expect movies to limit themselves to my comfort level, the onus is upon me to avoid them.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

For sure, Millstone - let's bring race into it. That always helps.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Warning Labels. That's the title of a country music song where there should be warning labels on them sad country songs.
Cigarettes are bad. So we need warning labels on many TCM movies, right? Oh, alcohol too.
Then there's all that shooting in both TV and movie Westerns.
On the other hand, I feel the movie Heathers contributed to school shootings.
I didn't watch Gone With The Wind yesterday. Not my kinda film.
I love Blazing Saddles. Not sure if TCM plays the movie anymore, or if they bleep the N word.
I love the bean scene. Even Disney movies have farts in them. Dogs at least.
Tooting became one of Denny Crane's trademarks in Boston Legal.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 6th, 2023, 12:27 pm For sure, Millstone - let's bring race into it. That always helps.
We live in America, Intrepid37. Pretending that race is not an issue in America is hiding your head in the sand.
TikiSoo wrote: March 6th, 2023, 12:01 pm . . .That's personal, I don't expect movies to limit themselves to my comfort level, the onus is upon me to avoid them.
And to avoid movies that might upset you, you must be informed (i.e., warned).

Yes, it's personal. Not everybody behaves and reacts the way you do, TikiSoo.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

TikiSoo wrote: March 6th, 2023, 12:01 pm
(snipped)
has this warning:
(snipped)
Thanks for posting that, I had no idea this sort of thing is now done for live performances too. Makes me wonder if it's simply to protect the production from being sued.

Believe you me, I am bothered by violence in a movie, the more involved I am with the charactors/story, the worst my reaction. That's personal, I don't expect movies to limit themselves to my comfort level, the onus is upon me to avoid them.
I guess one question, in the case of A Little Life, which I mentioned, is "when does a trigger warning become a spoiler?" Now I know that someone commits suicide in A Little Life.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Well, I live in America, Millstone - and I don't see anything positive about ranting race at every measly opportunity.

Unless you happen to be one of those, then heaven only knows what's going on inside you.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I will take my chances with this song. It is one of those songs that radio would never have played.
Hopefully, people will see the value of what Donna Fargo recorded back in 1974.

It does not come from the 1972 album The Happiest Girl In The Whole U.S.A.
It comes from this 1974 LP:
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 6th, 2023, 2:00 pm Well, I live in America, Millstone - and I don't see anything positive about ranting race at every measly opportunity.

Unless you happen to be one of those, then heaven only knows what's going on inside you.
Thank you for confirming my presumptions about you, Intrepid37.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Ya know, I was just thinkin' here about how this latest little bent in this conversation had me first thinking of one comedian named Bill here...

...and then now has taken me to thinking of another comedian named Bill here...

LOL
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

(snipped)
has this warning:
(snipped)

It's also a guide for parents. More necessary for theatre than films, because theatre has no ratings system at all.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

txfilmfan wrote: March 6th, 2023, 2:31 pm
(snipped)
has this warning:
(snipped)

It's also a guide for parents. More necessary for theatre than films, because theatre has no ratings system at all.
Many of the London theaters do offer age guidance. The age guidance for A Little Life is 16+; The age recommendation for Medea, with Sophie Okonedo, which I am also seeing, is 12+.

Here's the note on the Bridge Theatre website, for their production of Guys and Dolls, which is in previews (and which sounds like it has a feature that might offend):

"This will be updated closer to the performance."

"We’re aware that content sensitivities vary per person. If there are certain themes you find particularly upsetting and would like further information on content before booking, please email [email protected]."

Here's a quote from a UK theater website, from someone who saw the show:

"Miss Adelaide sang to an audience member seated at an onstage table and buried his head in her cleavage. (When I saw it on Friday.) It went down a storm in the theatre and the audience member (if not a plant) went along with the gag. Some prudes seem offended by it."
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I have a few other thoughts on the subject:

1) The usual defense of films like Breakfast at Tiffany's and their "brief offensiveness" is, to me, like someone saying they went to a nice restaurant, where the food was very well prepared, the ambience and décor were pleasing, and the staff were nice, and, oh yeah, at one point one of the staff, with the express permission and endorsement of the management, dropped his trousers and took a dump on a table. Now, it wasn't my table, so I didn't let it ruin what was an otherwise fantastic dining experience.

Some people don't care for restaurants where anyone's table gets crapped on, even if it's not their own, and even if the rest of the meal was great.

2) I've always felt that warnings such as the ones bemoaned by Angry Old Grifter Maher* and his ilk are directed to those whom appreciate their inclusion. Since I, nor many others here apparently, require them, I just chalk it up to something being for the benefit of other people, and not for me. Not everything is about you. If you don't "need" trigger warnings (except, I guess, for trigger warnings themselves), just accept it as something NOT FOR YOU, and move on.

3) Anyone who uses "woke" anymore is a red flag. The rightwing media has reduced it to meaninglessness, when all it meant initially was being cognizant of the plight of other people. Now it's usually used to denigrate anything that fosters treating other people with dignity and respect. But like I said earlier, this way lies madness/TCM Off-Topics...

*I was a Maher diehard back in his Politically Incorrect days, and for a while during his HBO tenure, but his stances have drifted steadily toward the right as his ratings have diminished, and he courts the Fox News/Shakes Fist at the Sky crowd more than anything else anymore. He becomes more and more out of touch each year, and his desperation is painfully evident.

And finally, I hope you know that I'm not attacking you personally, CinemaInternational. I've enjoyed your posts and good humor for several years, and don't want to see future interactions endangered over this trifle of a subject.

P.S.: Intrepid37, welcome. I see that you said you were a longtime member at the TCM boards. Is that the same moniker you used over there?
Watching until the end.