SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Andree

Re: SPORTS

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: October 4th, 2023, 11:57 pm
Yeah, specifically 1966. I remember it well! ;)

And yeah, that WOULD be pretty cool, but somethin's telling me the Braves will be the NL Champs this year. And especially so because of how they manhandled the Boys in Blue during their last visit to Dodger Stadium this year.

(...but of course, I hope I'm wrong about this)
I remember sitting in the backseat of our car, riding home from a trip to my cousin and listening to one of
those mid 1960s WS, maybe the 1966 one.

I hope you're wrong too. The Braves certainly have a good shot at winning the NL crown, but we'll see.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: October 5th, 2023, 12:18 am
laffite wrote: October 4th, 2023, 2:38 pm
...They were an incredible flop this year, one of the most disappointing seasons ever for a team, having third highest payroll and let's face it a pretty good team on paper. They didn't execute.
Whaddaya talkin' here, laffite???

So, the Dodgers had/have the third highest payroll this season AND they won the third highest number of games this season, RIGHT?!

And so what doesn't compute here, dude??? ;) LOL

And besides the idea that winning 100 games in a season couldn't exactly be considered a "flop" by anyone's standards, wouldn't ya really say?!

(...well that is IF ya weren't such a big Dave Roberts hater, anyway)
I was referring to the Padres, not the Dodgers. Maybe I wasn't clear though I have not looked to check. One would have to be daft to say those things about the Dodgers. Who do you think I am anyway, Brandon Staley! :smiley_sick:

UPDATE: I referred Melvin as manager, you didn't see that. And then went on about the San Diego franchises. I finished that post with the Dodgers, maybe that threw you off. At the top of the post it was indeed ambiguous about which I was talking about. I mentioned the Dodgers and then went on to the Padres without making that clear. Any high school English teacher would have jumped all over me for that gaff.
"Edith"
laffite

Post by laffite »

Andree wrote: October 5th, 2023, 12:56 am
Dargo wrote: October 4th, 2023, 11:57 pm
Yeah, specifically 1966. I remember it well! ;)

And yeah, that WOULD be pretty cool, but somethin's telling me the Braves will be the NL Champs this year. And especially so because of how they manhandled the Boys in Blue during their last visit to Dodger Stadium this year.

(...but of course, I hope I'm wrong about this)
I remember sitting in the backseat of our car, riding home from a trip to my cousin and listening to one of
those mid 1960s WS, maybe the 1966 one.

I hope you're wrong too. The Braves certainly have a good shot at winning the NL crown, but we'll see.
We will probably see the Dodger-Braves. I will root for the Braves, of course. When I was a young kid my team was the old Milwaukee Braves. They were in existence from 1953-1966, they won two pennants ('57 and '58) and one WS against the Yanks in '57. I can still name from memory that eniire team. P-Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette (who won three game in that WS), Bob Buhl and their closer Don MacMahon. C-Del Crandall 1B-Joe Adcock 2B-Red Schoendienst 3B-Eddie Mathews SS-Johnny Logan LF- Wes Covington or Andy Pafko CF-Billy Bruton RF-Henry Aaron. This latter, the real Home Run King, died recently and he might have been the last survivor of this team. But when they moved out of Milwaukee they lost me. I have never been to Milwaukee but that was the city and wonderful County Stadium that had trees in center field (over the fence of course) I remember Vince Scully announce a home run there, a home run "into the trees." Since there was no team in San Diego and the Dodgers were not in CA, I adopted the Braves as my team, the cause being Henry Aaron but I grew to love all those guys and their names were very important to me, being a really young kid. When the Dodgers moved to CA I used to get Dodger games with Vince Scully and Jerry Doggett on KFI. The reception was not good enough to hear the crowd, all you got a background hiss but the voices came over fine. Okay, I'm rambling, fun to talk about this so thanks for listening. If you are interested, google the 1957 WS. I was ecstatic but what to say about the following year!?. The Braves had the Bronxies 3-1 and then lost three in a row. I experienced the Agony of Defeat and big time.
"Edith"
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

World Series first broadcast on radio– 1921 -- 10/5/1921
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

...They were an incredible flop this year, one of the most disappointing seasons ever for a team, having third highest payroll and let's face it a pretty good team on paper. They didn't execute.

So, the Dodgers had/have the third highest payroll this season AND they won the third highest number of games this season, RIGHT?!

And besides the idea that winning 100 games in a season couldn't exactly be considered a "flop" by anyone's standards, wouldn't ya really say?!

It is those lame San Diego Padres that have the 3rd highest 2023 payroll, with both NY teams spending more (Mets, then Yanks).

Dodgers were #6. The MLB leading braves at #10.

PS: Padres will retain Bob Melvin as manager. Looking forward to another melt down next season!
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 5th, 2023, 9:02 am

It is those lame San Diego Padres that have the 3rd highest 2023 payroll, with both NY teams spending more (Mets, then Yanks).

PS: Padres will retain Bob Melvin as manager. Looking forward to another melt down next season!
Yes, that's what I said, the Padres 3rd highest paid. Any misunderstandings about who made the original assertion has been resolved above, if one chooses to follow the conversation. The Padres certainly were not lame last year in the playoffs. Instead of looking forward to next year's Padres, you might look forward to this years Dodgers lest they be upended by another lame team. I'm looking forward to the possibility. Who knows, maybe the Dodgers will choke again.
:D
"Edith"
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: October 5th, 2023, 1:06 pm

Yes, that's what I said, the Padres 3rd highest paid. Any misunderstandings about who made the original assertion has been resolved above, if one chooses to follow the conversation. The Padres certainly were not lame last year in the playoffs. Instead of looking forward to next year's Padres, you might look forward to this years Dodgers lest they be upended by another lame team. I'm looking forward to the possibility. Who knows, maybe the Dodgers will choke again.
:D
No comments about the Padres retaining Bob Melvin? If I recall correctly, you didn't like how he was managing the team.

As for the 2023 Dodgers: I don't see how they can beat either the Braves or Phillies with only two legit starters. I've always been a small-ball fan and while the Dodgers have a solid lineup, with Freeman and Betts having a historic season, it will be very difficult to win a series without a 3rd big league, experienced starter.

Next season, GM Friedman will have to spend big time money to get some starters that don't end up getting arrested!
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

So, with the Dodgers being only the sixth highest in payroll (which surprises me a bit, as I thought they were up there among the very highest) does this mean they'll be able to afford the estimated half-billion dollar contract that that Japanese wunderkind who presently plays for that other L.A. team will likely sign for?

(...I've heard Ohtani wants to stay on the west coast, anyway)
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: October 5th, 2023, 10:02 pm

So, with the Dodgers being only the sixth highest in payroll (which surprises me a bit, as I thought they were up there among the very highest) does this mean they'll be able to afford the estimated half-billion dollar contract that that Japanese wunderkind who presently plays for that other L.A. team will likely sign for?

(...I've heard Ohtani wants to stay on the west coast, anyway)
Well the rumor is that Friedman didn't spend for any arms before the trading deadline to ensure the Dodgers could bid for Ohtani.

While I find Ohtani the most interesting player to come along in my lifetime, I'm not sure I want the Dodgers to put so much of their payroll into one player, especially a non-everyday one (even with Ohtani being unique being the DH as well as being an every 5 days starting pitcher).
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 6th, 2023, 10:09 am
Well the rumor is that Friedman didn't spend for any arms before the trading deadline to ensure the Dodgers could bid for Ohtani.

While I find Ohtani the most interesting player to come along in my lifetime, I'm not sure I want the Dodgers to put so much of their payroll into one player, especially a non-everyday one (even with Ohtani being unique being the DH as well as being an every 5 days starting pitcher).
I kind'a know what you mean here. While Ohtani would be a great attendance draw for the Dodgers (although like the team that by far already has the highest attendance in MLB would need that) I too wonder if the cost vs benefit factor in regard to helping them win championships would ultimately be worth it or pan out in the long run.
jamesjazzguitar

Today's Los Angeles Times sports headline is from one of my favorite movies: ACE in the Hole!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 8th, 2023, 9:46 am Today's Los Angeles Times sports headline is from one of my favorite movies: ACE in the Hole!
Talk about a total reverse of the usual Dodger Stadium outcome between these two teams here, eh James?!

(...guess the percentages finally came out in the D-Back's favor for once)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Derek Jeter is really a drag. His car commercials are just terrible. His double chin that he tries to hide with the stupidest looking beard I’ve ever seen is ridiculous. He can’t announce. His clothes don’t fit right. He acts like he’s stoned on some weird s***.
jamesjazzguitar

Thompson wrote: October 10th, 2023, 6:23 pm Derek Jeter is really a drag. His car commercials are just terrible. His double chin that he tries to hide with the stupidest looking beard I’ve ever seen is ridiculous. He can’t announce. His clothes don’t fit right. He acts like he’s stoned on some weird s***.
I tend to agree, but I still would rather see Jeter than that steroid user and cheat Alex Rodiquez.