SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

Thompson wrote: March 29th, 2023, 9:25 pm I don't want to see the computerized strike zone anymore. I would much rather see the ball leaving the pitcher's hand. A bird's eye view from behind second base. Let the umpires call the game without us seeing that stupid box.
AND speaking of "Traditionalists"?!

(...we seem to have one being riled-up right HERE!!!) LOL

;)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

And there are too many stats.
Uncle Charlie

Post by Uncle Charlie »

I’m not a “Get off my lawn” kinda guy but I definitely fall into the Traditionalist category when it comes to baseball. I don’t want umpires to go away, I just want them to be better. It’s supposed to be a merit-based system yet you still have guys like Angel Hernandez and Cowboy Joe West (retired thankfully) butchering calls behind the plate. These are the types of guys that should be weeded out by the Umpires Association but they’re not. Assuming the umpires union has something to do with that.
Now get off my lawn, I’m trying to watch the ballgame…
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: March 29th, 2023, 9:25 pm I don't want to see the computerized strike zone anymore. I would much rather see the ball leaving the pitcher's hand. A bird's eye view from behind second base. Let the umpires call the game without us seeing that stupid box.
Agreed. I wonder why the Umpires union doesn't carp about that.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now Strohman for the Cubs got penalized for taking longer than 20 seconds and a ball was called. But it wasnt an actual pitch. So the box score is going to seem wrong when you look up number of pitches vs balls and strikes.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

And lets say the pitcher throws 3 pick offs to first and fails runner awarded second is that scored a stolen base?
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

And hey how bout intentiomal walks you just stand there and dont pitch just run out the clobk.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I dont think you have to pitch any pitches for an intentional walk now though.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Anyone seen the Padre uniforms today? They look like birthday cakes. If I were a Padre I wouldn't go out there looking like that. Maybe that's why there losing again. They think they are at a birthday party.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

laffite wrote: March 31st, 2023, 10:55 pm Anyone seen the Padre uniforms today? They look like birthday cakes. If I were a Padre I wouldn't go out there looking like that. Maybe that's why there losing again. They think they are at a birthday party.
They're the Padres version of the Nike city connect jerseys and it's supposed celebrate San Diego and Tijuana. Few teams have good ones, while many of them are bad. They're better than the black or white Player's Weekend abominations from 2019.

All of this is just an an excuse to sell more jerseys.

That being said I do love the Field of Dreams game related gear because it brings back the old-timey logos. I love the old school Cubs logo.

Here are some of the City Connect jerseys released in previous years. Nike releases about 5-6 every year.

laffite

Post by laffite »

I l
umop apisdn wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:24 am
laffite wrote: March 31st, 2023, 10:55 pm Anyone seen the Padre uniforms today? They look like birthday cakes. If I were a Padre I wouldn't go out there looking like that. Maybe that's why there losing again. They think they are at a birthday party.
They're the Padres version of the Nike city connect jerseys and it's supposed celebrate San Diego and Tijuana. Few teams have good ones, while many of them are bad. They're better than the black or white Player's Weekend abominations from 2019.

All of this is just an an excuse to sell more jerseys.

That being said I do love the Field of Dreams game related gear because it brings back the old-timey logos. I love the old school Cubs logo.

Here are some of the City Connect jerseys released in previous years. Nike releases about 5-6 every year.

I am old school everything. Thanks for the info. I am a disaffected baseball fan trying to make a comeback. I wouldn't know about this uniform stuff.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

laffite wrote: April 1st, 2023, 11:44 am I am old school everything. Thanks for the info. I am a disaffected baseball fan trying to make a comeback. I wouldn't know about this uniform stuff.
I am generally an old school fan in my early 40s, but I do like some of the new things they are trying out. The City Connect is a way to reach out to different communities in a cities fanbase, or at least that is what the marketing says.

I like old throwbacks uniforms like the Cardinals powder blues. I only 1 jersey to begin with because they are very expensive. I won't buy anymore because I don't like how the Nike logo interferes with how the Cubs pinstripes look.

I like a healthy balance of statistics, but not an overkill.

This was the most interesting baseball related video I watched this week. It's about the various camera angles they use and how it affects our perception of pitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T44FnMSgTy8
Andree

Post by Andree »

Follow the money. Games are too long resulting in less fan interest and thus in less revenue? Implement a pitch clock to
speed things up. Shifts causing lower batting averages, less fan interested, etc.? Strictly curtail the shift. Follow the money.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Andree wrote: April 1st, 2023, 4:11 pm Follow the money. Games are too long resulting in less fan interest and thus in less revenue? Implement a pitch clock to
speed things up. Shifts causing lower batting averages, less fan interested, etc.? Strictly curtail the shift. Follow the money.
Yes, this is it exactly. Theo Epstein, Cubs former team president, now works for MLB addressing pace of play issues he helped usher in with the usage of analytics.
"The executives, like me, who have spent a lot of time using analytics and other measures to try to optimize individual and team performance have unwittingly had a negative impact on the aesthetic value of the game and the entertainment value of the game in some respects," Epstein said when he resigned.
If a game is long because there is a lot of action, I don't think any baseball fan would mind.