SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
GaryCooper

Re: SPORTS

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

The Saints should have grabbed Baker Mayfield. Believe he might have been a good fit for the team. Right place and time and who knows ...

GC
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

MIKE LEACH WAS A ROGUE, AN INNOVATOR, AND MAN WHO BELONGS IN THE HALL OF FAME
FOX SPORTS COLLEGE FOOTBALL ANALYST

RJ Young
FOX SPORTS COLLEGE FOOTBALL ANALYST

In 2018, Jeremy Schaap interviewed Mike Leach in Pullman, Washington. Leach was coming off a great season in which he led Washington State to 11 wins and earned his second national coach of the year honor.

Schaap asked Leach how he wanted to be remembered.

"Well, that's their problem," Leach said. "They're the ones writing the obituary. What do I care? I'm dead."

See that? That's Mike Leach, kiddos.

> https://www.foxsports.com/stories/colle ... ll-of-fame

RIP
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

An eccentric. Brilliant offensive mind. A lot of modern day offenses (College and Pro) have their roots with Mike Leach and his thinking.

G.C.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

The Great Mickey Mantle of the NY Yankees made a little over a million dollars his entire career.

G.C.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
laffite

Post by laffite »

Fate forfend that the worst scenario does not happen to No. 3. If it did, would it destroy the belief in the power of prayer?
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:42 pm Fate forfend that the worst scenario does not happen to No. 3. If it did, would it destroy the belief in the power of prayer?
You believe the power of prayer has an impact beyond a placebo effect? Especially for something like seeding in the NFL?

I would hope even true-believers believe "god" has more important things to worry about. (ha ha).
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 9th, 2023, 11:03 am
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:42 pm Fate forfend that the worst scenario does not happen to No. 3. If it did, would it destroy the belief in the power of prayer?
You believe the power of prayer has an impact beyond a placebo effect? Especially for something like seeding in the NFL?

I would hope even true-believers believe "god" has more important things to worry about. (ha ha).
Let's put it this way. Although atheists would not want No. 3 to die, if he did then they might have something to crow about. The entire country is praying for him, many who perhaps are not even true believers. If No. 3 should then fail? Athiest 1, Prayer 0. I.e. prayer has no effect.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: January 9th, 2023, 2:53 pm

Let's put it this way. Although atheists would not want No. 3 to die, if he did then they might have something to crow about. The entire country is praying for him, many who perhaps are not even true believers. If No. 3 should then fail? Athiest 1, Prayer 0. I.e. prayer has no effect.
My experience is that very religious people, when they encounter a situation where a prayer was not answered (or the outcome was different than desired), chalk it up to "God's will," and that there is a higher plan that we're unable to understand. It's never the case that prayer doesn't work.

You can't use logic on matters of faith.
laffite

Post by laffite »

txfilmfan wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:00 pm

My experience is that very religious people, when they encounter a situation where a prayer was not answered (or the outcome was different than desired), chalk it up to "God's will," and that there is a higher plan that we're unable to understand. It's never the case that prayer doesn't work.

I was posing a hypothetical, sort of. My point it would be rich if the worst happened. The atheist would have a story, that's all.

You're right. The story would be explained away just as you say. They don't just chalk it up to, they set it in stone.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Well said, and I agree. I'm an atheist but I know there is power in prayer. I was watching an episode from a 50s\60s western (I believe it was Wagon Train), and it covered the topic that, prayer is just as much about providing comfort to the one doing the prayer than it is for the one being prayed for. The point was that most believers accept that it is unlikely their prayers will actually impact the outcome, but prayer is a way to show respect and provided comfort to the impacted person as well as their loved ones. Thus a sign of compassion and this world needs all the compassion that it can muster.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 10th, 2023, 2:42 pm

... The point was that most believers accept that it is unlikely their prayers will actually impact the outcome, but prayer is a way to show respect and provided comfort to the impacted person as well as their loved ones.
I like that. Thanks.