SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: SPORTS

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: February 10th, 2023, 6:21 pm Image
In other words, business is usual.

Episode? The Super Bowl is not an episode. What to think, the Super Bowl is a television miniseries?

Regular season games are not regarded as episodes either. Whoever wrote that doesn't know football. He/she doesn't know the language.

;)
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I’m worried the halftime show will upset my psyche.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: February 10th, 2023, 7:04 pm

Episode? The Super Bowl is not an episode. What to think, the Super Bowl is a television miniseries?

Regular season games are not regarded as episodes either. Whoever wrote that doesn't know football. He/she doesn't know the language.

;)
That's the point of the joke. The "con" and "cosplay" references are meant to indicate the texters are the type of folks who go to ComicCon and other similar fanboy geekouts. They don't know anything about football.

It's hard for some to believe, but two-thirds of the people in the country don't watch the Super Bowl in any given year. The highest rated one was seen by about 118M people in the US, across all platforms (broadcast, US Spanish broadcast, and streaming) in 2018.
laffite

Post by laffite »

txfilmfan wrote: February 10th, 2023, 11:40 pm

;)
That's the point of the joke. The "con" and "cosplay" references are meant to indicate the texters are the type of folks who go to ComicCon and other similar fanboy geekouts. They don't know anything about football.

It's hard for some to believe, but two-thirds of the people in the country don't watch the Super Bowl in any given year. The highest rated one was seen by about 118M people in the US, across all platforms (broadcast, US Spanish broadcast, and streaming) in 2018.
Knee-jerk response from a Sports fan. :smiley_innocent:
Masha

Post by Masha »

;)
I see now by the listing that it is the season finale. Will some person towards the end make a play but fans will have to wait until the next season to see if it worked?
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: February 11th, 2023, 4:48 pm

;)
I see now by the listing that it is the season finale. Will some person towards the end make a play but fans will have to wait until the next season to see if it worked?
Nope, they won't.

And just like how soccer fans won't have to wait to find out this same sort'a thing after the clock runs out at the end of a World Cup championship match.

(...WITH of course the exception in THIS regard there's ALWAYS gonna be a HECK of lot more SCORING in an AMERICAN-style footbal game than just 1 or 2 to nothin', and like there USUALLY is in that game where the players other than the goalie are restricted within the field of play from using those things located at end of one's arms)
Uncle Charlie

Post by Uncle Charlie »

Yeah soccer is excruciating but football is getting just as bad. Games last three and a half hours now and the ball is only in play for 10 to 11 minutes in an average game. I find myself watching fewer and fewer games each year. I used to be the guy that watched from the 11am pre-game shows until the end of the Sunday night game. Either the games have gotten duller or I have. Probably a little of both…
laffite

Post by laffite »

Uncle Charlie wrote: February 11th, 2023, 9:49 pm Yeah soccer is excruciating but football is getting just as bad. Games last three and a half hours now and the ball is only in play for 10 to 11 minutes in an average game. I find myself watching fewer and fewer games each year. I used to be the guy that watched from the 11am pre-game shows until the end of the Sunday night game. Either the games have gotten duller or I have. Probably a little of both…
I think it more like eight minutes. But there is also a measure of anticipation between plays and a lot of atmosphere. And if the game comes down to the wire, a lot of suspense and excitement.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Uncle Charlie wrote: February 11th, 2023, 9:49 pm Yeah soccer is excruciating but football is getting just as bad. Games last three and a half hours now and the ball is only in play for 10 to 11 minutes in an average game. I find myself watching fewer and fewer games each year. I used to be the guy that watched from the 11am pre-game shows until the end of the Sunday night game. Either the games have gotten duller or I have. Probably a little of both…
Yeah, I know what ya mean, Charlie.

And ya know what I THINK has greatly contributed to this? It's that it seems to take 5 or 6 freakin' minutes for the officials to review a disputed play and then FINALLY make a damn call AFTER we ALL have watched the network reply the questioned call at least FIVE freakin' TIMES within the first 30 seconds after it took place.

Nope, it should NOT take 5 or 6 freakin' minutes for the officials to make these calls...PERIOD!

(...and I'm startin' to think the ONLY reason that it DOES, is so that the networks can THEN break to a commercial to sell more beer, cars and/or E.D. remedies for their sponsors...and trust me here...I'm NOT normally prone to conspiracy theories here, dude!!!)
Last edited by Dargo on February 11th, 2023, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

There is an element of suspense waiting for the result of a disputed play.

Or better yet, no more penalties ; just let'm play. Now things get interesting.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: February 11th, 2023, 10:44 pm There is an element of suspense waiting for the result of a disputed play.

Or better yet, no more penalties ; just let'm play. Now things get interesting.
Well, NOW you've to touched upon another and perhaps even more salient point here, laffite...those penalites.

Now sure, it might be easy bein' the "Armchair Ref" here, but sure seems to ME that HALF the refs in the NFL today MUST be suffering from a case of selective vision.

(...well, okay, maybe not half of 'em, but it sure seems to me their calls are as often as inconsistenty made as all those times you'll see some soccer player acting like they should be immediately medivac-ed to the nearest local hospital because another player knicked 'em on their ankle and/or even missed 'em ENTIRELY!!!) LOL
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Agree. And the interminable commercials. An average game has over 100 of them. College games are even longer.

Rugby is probably a better time investment. Similar in action to football, but fewer stoppages, and fewer ads.
Uncle Charlie

Post by Uncle Charlie »

I often wonder what guys like Namath, Staubach and Tarkenton think about today’s quarterbacks who get paid ridiculous amounts of money and are protected by rules from the abuse that they endured. These guys were pummeled like rag dolls every Sunday. I grew up as a Cowboys fan and Roger Staubach was my first football hero. I remember a play against the Eagles where he was in the shotgun and the play was blown dead due to a false start penalty against Dallas. The ball had been snapped and 21 of the 22 players on the field just pulled up because of the whistle. The 22nd player was linebacker Bill Bergey who charged through the line into the backfield and absolutely demolished Staubach. He acted like he hadn’t heard the whistle and no extra penalty was called. If that happened today, he’d be tossed from the game, fined and suspended.
To be clear, I’m not advocating for violence - just pointing out that it’s a much different game than the one I watched as a kid.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Uncle Charlie wrote: February 12th, 2023, 7:35 am I often wonder what guys like Namath, Staubach and Tarkenton think about today’s quarterbacks who get paid ridiculous amounts of money and are protected by rules from the abuse that they endured. These guys were pummeled like rag dolls every Sunday. I grew up as a Cowboys fan and Roger Staubach was my first football hero. I remember a play against the Eagles where he was in the shotgun and the play was blown dead due to a false start penalty against Dallas. The ball had been snapped and 21 of the 22 players on the field just pulled up because of the whistle. The 22nd player was linebacker Bill Bergey who charged through the line into the backfield and absolutely demolished Staubach. He acted like he hadn’t heard the whistle and no extra penalty was called. If that happened today, he’d be tossed from the game, fined and suspended.
To be clear, I’m not advocating for violence - just pointing out that it’s a much different game than the one I watched as a kid.
Yep, I ran across an internet article just the other day in which Lawrence Taylor used this very same observation in order to express his opinion that he feels Joe Montana is still the GOAT QB and not Tom Brady.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

[/quote]

Yep, I ran across an internet article just the other day in which Lawrence Taylor used this very same observation in order to express his opinion that he feels Joe Montana is still the GOAT QB and not Tom Brady.
[/quote]

Brady won 7 Super Bowls but lost 3.

Montana won 4 and no losses, he is the GOAT