Beautiful wristwatches of film

Post your Classic Film-related art here!
LostHorizons

Beautiful wristwatches of film

Post by LostHorizons »

This is an attempt at restarting a thread I had made on the "old forum." Basically, this thread is for posting interesting wristwatches or pocket watches you see in the movies or on actors in publicity photos. I suppose if people would like they may also post jewelry from films too. You do not have to know the specific make or model. Just post anything that catches your eye or makes you go "huh, that's pretty." I will start off with a beautiful Tank that I saw in the Australian film "The Plumber" today.

Researcher husband Brian (Robert Coleby) gifts his anxious wife Jill (Judy Morris) a Cartier Tank wristwatch 16:38 minutes into the Australian horror film by Peter Weir The Plumber (1979). I don't have a screenshot but you can watch it on YouTube. Go to 16:38.

The Cartier Tank is one of the oldest wristwatches still in production and was a favorite of actors and directors. It is frequently seen in many movies. It is discernible by the blue sapphire bezel clearly visible and also the clock face intended to resemble a Renault tank. The wristwatch plays a pivotal role in The Plumber as Jill worries whether the titular plumber intends to rob her of it. I won't spoil the ending which hinges on its location.

The Tank in the film appears to be the Tank Louis Cartier model as you can discern by its slightly elongated shape.
https://www.grayandsons.com/blog/a-guid ... k-watches/
LostHorizons

Re: Beautiful wristwatches of film

Post by LostHorizons »

Broderick Crawford gifts his daughter Patrizia a wristwatch in the movie “Il Bidone” but it is a woman’s watch and also likely a cheaper piece (the character is a conman who pawns off fake merchandise including fake watches) so I couldn’t identify it.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: June 28th, 2023, 10:07 pm Broderick Crawford gifts his daughter Patrizia a wristwatch in the movie “Il Bidone” but it is a woman’s watch and also likely a cheaper piece (the character is a conman who pawns off fake merchandise including fake watches) so I couldn’t identify it.
I missed TCM's showing of that movie the other night, LH.

However, IF Broderick played one of his usual belligerent types in this one, he would've been smart to have given her a Timex.

(...I assume I won't have to now give ya the punchline to this one, huh...and btw, what DID ever become of John Cameron Swayze anyway I wonder?) ;)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Broderick Crawford was always great at playing sleazy guys. Earlier in the film he was trying to pawn one of the cruddy watches (still can’t tell the exact make of it so sorry) on to an older man for 15,000 lire and the guy who isn’t as dim as Broderick believed goes “How about 500? I sell some of these imitations myself for 500.” :D :lol: :lol: :smiley_cheer:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Broderick Crawford's mother would not like her son being typecast as sleazy!

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I saw this on tv today. Go to 57:30.

Goerz? Goerz wristwatches?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goerz_(company)

Whatever it is, I like the design.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: July 7th, 2023, 1:38 am

Yeah, interesting that there was no mention of watchmaking in that Wiki writeup for this company, isn't it LH.

Do you think that that might've been Paul Lukas' personal watch that he might've purchased before immigrating to the U.S. from his native Hungary?

(...one more note here...while watching this film as well last night, it suddenly dawned on me that I had never before realized how much Paul Lukas sounded so much like his fellow Hungarian emigree actor Bela Lugosi...and I don't think it was just because of their shared accent...there's a similar register to the voices as well, I think)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Dargo wrote: July 7th, 2023, 10:29 am
LostHorizons wrote: July 7th, 2023, 1:38 am

Yeah, interesting that there was no mention of watchmaking in that Wiki writeup for this company, isn't it LH.

Do you think that that might've been Paul Lukas' personal watch that he might've purchased before immigrating to the U.S. from his native Hungary?

(...one more note here...while watching this film as well last night, it suddenly dawned on me that I had never before realized how much Paul Lukas sounded so much like his fellow Hungarian emigree actor Bela Lugosi...and I don't think it was just because of their shared accent...there's a similar register to the voices as well, I think)
I also thought it was strange that the article leaves out any wristwatch manufacturing by Goerz. As it was a German company, I feel that any output they did in Hungary would also go by the Goerz name. Perhaps different branches did different materials so that some sections made watches?

As for Mr. Lukas, I definitely get Lugosi vibes from his accent. It sounds like a strange idea but to me, his accent is like Bela Lugosi and Maurice Chevalier mixed together. That is what I always love about those 1930s horror films- they’re set in nondescript Central European countries and their casts almost always feature a mixture of American, RP English/ British and German or Hungarian accents. Bonus points if the year is never mentioned and it is just vaguely late 19th century - 1930s. I noticed the Blue Room’s mythos is “we never opened it in twenty years” (a blatant lie) yet it has up to date (for the 1930s) electrical wiring instead of the oil lamps that would’ve been used pre-war.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Red Grant's watch in From Russia With Love was pretty cool.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

skimpole wrote: July 16th, 2023, 4:31 am Are there any disappointing wristwatches on film? What about the frankly appalling?
Keanu Reeves wearing a Casio G Shock in Speed.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/keanu ... s-in-speed