Marion Davies on TCM

drednm

Re: Marion Davies on TCM

Post by drednm »

The dream dance number "We'll Make Hay While the Sun Shines" is one of the more bizarre Hollywood production numbers with Marion Davies and Bing Crosby watching themselves perform a dance number with scarecrows and farm hands. Crosby was never in better voice than in his film. He also sings fab versions of "Temptation" and "Going Hollywood."

drednm

Post by drednm »

The final night of the Star of the Month salute to Marion Davies starts tonight with Peg o' My Heart (1933). This is one of Marion's most charming talkies and there was a significant write-in campaign for her for an Oscar. She was also elected to the Academy in May of 1933 as sort of a precursor of a nomination. But there were only 3 nominees that year and Davies didn't make the cut. Hence the write-in campaign.

In following years there were big write-in campaigns for Myrna Loy for The Thin Man and Bette Davis for Of Human Bondage after they failed to win nominations. But after Hal Mohr actually WON an Oscar for cinematography (after not being nominated) for A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935), the Academy banned write-ins altogether.

jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

drednm wrote: January 24th, 2023, 7:05 am The final night of the Star of the Month salute to Marion Davies starts tonight with Peg o' My Heart (1933). This is one of Marion's most charming talkies and there was a significant write-in campaign for her for an Oscar. She was also elected to the Academy in May of 1933 as sort of a precursor of a nomination. But there were only 3 nominees that year and Davies didn't make the cut. Hence the write-in campaign.

In following years there were big write-in campaigns for Myrna Loy for The Thin Man and Bette Davis for Of Human Bondage after they failed to win nominations. But after Hal Mohr actually WON an Oscar for cinematography (after not being nominated) for A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935), the Academy banned write-ins altogether.

Write-Ins were a big deal in the early days, especially with the limited number of nominations.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Why aren't there any Marion movies next Tues.??? Is there a rule a SOTM can't have 5 nights in a month???
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:27 pm Why aren't there any Marion movies next Tues.??? Is there a rule a SOTM can't have 5 nights in a month???
There is no such rule. What other films are being shown that day, especially in from 5 - 10 EST?

I ask because sometimes TCM will have a birthday or death tribute and that is why only 4 nights instead of 5.
drednm

Post by drednm »

They ran out of films they have licensed. The license for Enchantment (1921) ran out in 2021. They never licensed Zander the Great (1925).

They also never licensed Getting Mary Married (1919) or The Restless Sex (1920) or my restorations of the incomplete April Folly (1920) and Buried Treasure (1921).

TCM apparently does not have a license for Quality Street (1927) or Kino's project Lights of Old Broadway (1925).

Janice Meredith (1924) is being restored by UCLA (they've been working on it for years). Yolanda (1924) survives in a so-so print but is locked up in a foreign archive as are Tillie the Toiler (1927) and The Fair Co-Ed (1927) as Eastman House. The talkie It's a Wise Child (1931) has never been released because it's tied up in a copyright issue.

There's also a silent version of Marianne (1928) but that's locked up by Warners although the talkie version is shown often on TCM.

Probably coming out next year is The Cardboard Lover (1928) and if TCM is still licensing silent films them it might get shown.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:16 pm
Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:27 pm Why aren't there any Marion movies next Tues.??? Is there a rule a SOTM can't have 5 nights in a month???
There is no such rule. What other films are being shown that day, especially in from 5 - 10 EST?

I ask because sometimes TCM will have a birthday or death tribute and that is why only 4 nights instead of 5.

It looks like a night of French new wave films.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

drednm wrote: January 24th, 2023, 9:26 pm They ran out of films they have licensed. The license for Enchantment (1921) ran out in 2021. They never licensed Zander the Great (1925).

They also never licensed Getting Mary Married (1919) or The Restless Sex (1920) or my restorations of the incomplete April Folly (1920) and Buried Treasure (1921).

TCM apparently does not have a license for Quality Street (1927) or Kino's project Lights of Old Broadway (1925).

Janice Meredith (1924) is being restored by UCLA (they've been working on it for years). Yolanda (1924) survives in a so-so print but is locked up in a foreign archive as are Tillie the Toiler (1927) and The Fair Co-Ed (1927) as Eastman House. The talkie It's a Wise Child (1931) has never been released because it's tied up in a copyright issue.

There's also a silent version of Marianne (1928) but that's locked up by Warners although the talkie version is shown often on TCM.

Probably coming out next year is The Cardboard Lover (1928) and if TCM is still licensing silent films them it might get shown.

Too bad. I'd rather they did 5 nights of less films per night than 4 nights with films running through morning.
drednm

Post by drednm »

The final Silent Sundays this month features two Davies films (repeats) with When Knighthood Was in Flower and my project Beauty's Worth.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I'll try to remember Beauty's Worth. I just watched Knighthood a few wks ago.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Beauty’s Worth is mediocre.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Here's the DVD cover for my Kickstarter backers in 2016.