Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Thanks, but it's not like it's on my bucket list of films. Irritates me I missed it, but I'll manage.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: March 19th, 2024, 11:20 am Delon's twilight years are not peaceful ones, unfortunately. His children are squabbling over everything under the sun, including how to care for their father, who hasn't been seen in public in several years, after a stroke. Also in the mix is a former housekeeper/carer (and rumored lover), who filed a lawsuit against the children for her eviction from Delon's home. And like a scene out of Sunset Blvd., he lives in a decaying mansion on an estate in a wooded rural area outside of Paris. Just a few weeks ago, his home was searched by police because he was found to have 72 firearms and 3,000 rounds of ammunition, without a permit. Police seized the guns and ammunition.
WELL, at least they didn't find some poor french out-of-work movie scriptwriter floating face-down in his pool, anyway!

(...ya gotta give ol' Alain THAT anyway, RIGHT?!)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: March 19th, 2024, 12:35 am

Well, considering I've never thought the so-called "King of Cool" was all that good looking, average in fact, AND considering Connery's forte looks-wise was more based upon his chiseled features and an aura of hyper-masculinity, AND considering that Delon was basically a "pretty boy", don't worry Andree, as I, at least, won't be consulting a lawyer about your comment here. ;)

(...in fact and while watching this film, I kept thinking to myself that Delon looked more like a kid who throughout it was playing dress-up)
Me neither, but McQueen seems to have so many fans in general that one hates to diss the KOC.
I think "ruggedly handsome" is the most charitable description. I think Connery is a little closer
to the pretty boy type at least in his younger days. And Delon is a pretty boy for sure. He does
look younger than his age. I also noticed that in certain shots his trench coat seemed a little
short, like he was wearing some kind of strange skirt outfit, but pretty boys always get away
with stuff.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

I think people who forget to watch Noir Alley should have their trench coat, fedora, gun, cigs,
rotgut whiskey, and flashbacks confiscated. :smiley_shades:
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: March 19th, 2024, 7:10 pm I think people who forget to watch Noir Alley should have their trench coat, fedora, gun, cigs,
LOL

Now Andree, while I doubt Hibi has neither a trench coat, a fedora, a gun, cigs, nor rotguy whiskey, you wouldn't take aways her flashbacks, now would ya?!

(...at LEAST leave her THOSE, I say!!!)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: March 19th, 2024, 10:30 pm

LOL

Now Andree, while I doubt Hibi has neither a trench coat, a fedora, a gun, cigs, nor rotguy whiskey, you wouldn't take aways her flashbacks, now would ya?!

I guess that might be a step too far. Got to have them. But even the femme fatale has cigs, guns,
and top drawer whiskey, plus slinky dresses, peek a boo hairdo, red nail polish, a table at the nightclub,
and a guy she can make a fool of.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: March 19th, 2024, 10:30 pm
Andree wrote: March 19th, 2024, 7:10 pm I think people who forget to watch Noir Alley should have their trench coat, fedora, gun, cigs,
LOL

Sadly I have none of those. Please leave me my flashbacks! I don't ask for much.
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

I have all those items except the gun is a plastic toy. I was posing as Bogart at a Halloween party a few years back. Also, the whisky is single malt Scotch and my only flashbacks are dreams while sleeping. In true Bogart behavior I would advise against trying to confiscate those items. LOL
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hoganman1 wrote: March 21st, 2024, 8:58 am

I have all those items except the gun is a plastic toy. I was posing as Bogart at a Halloween party a few years back. Also, the whisky is single malt Scotch and my only flashbacks are dreams while sleeping. In true Bogart behavior I would advise against trying to confiscate those items. LOL
I only have the gun and the non-rotgut whiskey. I only use the latter.

One more observation about Le Samourai. Twice Delon uses a ring of keys to steal
a car. There must have been at least 50 keys on those rings and Delon finds the right
one after trying only four or five keys. Pretty boys have all the luck.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: March 21st, 2024, 3:32 pm
Hoganman1 wrote: March 21st, 2024, 8:58 am

I only have the gun and the non-rotgut whiskey. I only use the latter.

One more observation about Le Samourai. Twice Delon uses a ring of keys to steal
a car. There must have been at least 50 keys on those rings and Delon finds the right
one after trying only four or five keys. Pretty boys have all the luck.
Actually Andree, if you recall, the cops who planted the bug in his room also used a ring of keys to get in, and it only took the cop four or five times to find the right key as well. And, neither of them were "pretty boys", were they?! ;)

And so re those ring of keys, I got the impression that these must have been (and excuse my french here) de rigueur for this purpose in 1960s Paris.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

OH and re my earlier question to kingrat about how Delon would come to suspect someone had been in his room while he was away, I found the following comment made within the plot breakdown of this film's Wiki page:

Back at his apartment, Jef notices some loose feathers scattered around his bird's cage as though it had gotten worked up while he was gone. Suspecting an intrusion, he finds the bug and deactivates it...

(...so there ya have it...it was like I had thought)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: March 21st, 2024, 7:56 pm

Actually Andree, if you recall, the cops who planted the bug in his room also used a ring of keys to get in, and it only took the cop four or five times to find the right key as well. And, neither of them were "pretty boys", were they?! ;)

And so re those ring of keys, I got the impression that these must have been (and excuse my french here) de rigueur for this purpose in 1960s Paris.
No, they were nowhere near pretty boys. Maybe it's lucky for pretty boys and
cops. When that scene started I wasn't sure if they were cops planting a bug
or two guys planting a remote controlled bomb to get rid of Delon, the up
close and personal gunman having failed at that job.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It looks like this weeks Noir Alley is a rerun. Haven't they showed this before? Wonder if it will have new wraparounds.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

This week Noir Alley features Where Danger Lives (RKO - 1950), featuring Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue and Claude Rains.

Rather slow moving first half and Rains has very limited screen time but makes the most of it in the best scene in the film with Mitchum and Domergue.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Hibi wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 9:39 am It looks like this weeks Noir Alley is a rerun. Haven't they showed this before? Wonder if it will have new wraparounds.
Yes, it is a repeat. Two more Noir Alley repeats have also been scheduled for May. Here is the updated schedule:

03-23 Where Danger Lives (1950) (repeat)
03-30 Pushover (1954) (repeat)

04-06 Violence (1947)
04-13 The Breaking Point (1950) (repeat 2x)
04-20 Born to Kill (1947) (repeat 2x)
04-27 The Big Knife (1955)

05-04 Dark Passage (1947) (repeat)
05-11 Follow Me Quietly (1949) (repeat)
05-18 Take Aim at the Police Van (1960) (TCM Premiere)
05-25 TBA

It does seem like too many repeats, even with the TCM anniversary in April.

The pattern has been that Eddie will at least make new wraparounds. If TCM starts re-running the Eddie material, then we are really in trouble.