Noir Alley

Andree

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Andree »

A bit above the routine hubby trying to kill wife but she finds a guy to help her and
naturally she marries him after hubby kicks off. Happens all the time....in the movies.
Some good visuals and I got a laugh out of those conventioneers. They really let their
hair down. Just wouldn't want to be a guest in the hotel at the same time. McNally
was his often unlikable self and it was interesting to see Peggy Dow as a mean witch, as
she is usually the opposite. And a shout out to Asheville. I'm guessing my late booze
hound cousin probably knew the best way to get from Asheville to Knoxville back in
the day.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Noir Alley question. Did anyone record Stage Fright along with Eddies comments a few wks back? He referenced some novel by some woman writer that was connected to the film somehow/or someone connected to the film. I meant to write down the title for future reading, but I forgot the name before I ever got around to it. Does anyone remember the book title or the author?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: January 30th, 2024, 2:03 pm Noir Alley question. Did anyone record Stage Fright along with Eddies comments a few wks back? He referenced some novel by some woman writer that was connected to the film somehow/or someone connected to the film. I meant to write down the title for future reading, but I forgot the name before I ever got around to it. Does anyone remember the book title or the author?
I have it DVRed. The film itself is based on the book Man Running by Selwyn Jepson. It goes by a couple of different titles as well, including Killer by Proxy and Outrun the Constable. It's the only book mentioned in either of the wraparound segments.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I was sure it was a woman author, I remember a different title than those two. It was longer. But thanks. I wonder if it was the week before's offering.

No, it couldn't have been the Jack Palance film. Weird. I'll have to check on those titles. I wonder if it was Woman in Hiding? My brain isn't what it used to be. Did anyone record that and still has it???
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Hibi wrote: January 30th, 2024, 2:03 pm Noir Alley question. Did anyone record Stage Fright along with Eddies comments a few wks back? He referenced some novel by some woman writer that was connected to the film somehow/or someone connected to the film. I meant to write down the title for future reading, but I forgot the name before I ever got around to it. Does anyone remember the book title or the author?
You can find Eddie's Intros and Outros on YouTube within a day or so of the showings. Not sure, but I think if you search Eddie Muller Noir Alley they will come up or maybe Eddie Muller Noir Alley Intros and Outros. I believe there are several on there at a time so you might find it that way.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ElCid wrote: January 30th, 2024, 3:42 pm
You can find Eddie's Intros and Outros on YouTube within a day or so of the showings. Not sure, but I think if you search Eddie Muller Noir Alley they will come up or maybe Eddie Muller Noir Alley Intros and Outros. I believe there are several on there at a time so you might find it that way.
Ok. Thanks!

Found them, but no luck. I remember them flashing the book title page I know I didn't imagine that. Weird.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM occasionally runs extras where Eddie discusses noir contributors. In one of them he talks about author Dorothy B. Hughes, who wrote the novels Fallen Sparrow, Ride the Pink Horse, and In a Lonely Place, which were turned into excellent noir films. At the end Eddie highly recommends the 1963 novel The Expendable Man, which was also written by Dorothy B. Hughes. Any chance this is what you are thinking of?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: January 30th, 2024, 4:20 pm TCM occasionally runs extras where Eddie discusses noir contributors. In one of them he talks about author Dorothy B. Hughes, who wrote the novels Fallen Sparrow, Ride the Pink Horse, and In a Lonely Place, which were turned into excellent noir films. At the end Eddie highly recommends the 1963 novel The Expendable Man, which was also written by Dorothy B. Hughes. Any chance this is what you are thinking of?

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I was confused. I knew it was Eddie! I'll put a hold on it now (Expendable Man) I'll remember you in my will!!! :D

THANK YOU!!!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I just could not get past Ida's terrible hair style. That's the only thing that should have been in hiding.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_shades:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

I don’t want to be an alarmist, but I am a bit concerned about Noir Alley.

- TCM has apparently given up Eddie’s Noir Alley set and exiled him to a bar in San Francisco.
- The dedicated Noir Alley web site is gone and has been reduced to a single page on the TCM web site.
- Was there any sign of Eddie during 31 Days of Oscar? Sometimes he would do other intros. Maybe I missed it.

- Here is the upcoming Noir Alley schedule:
03-16 Le Samourai (1967)
03-23 Where Danger Lives (1950) (repeat, 1-14-2018)
03-30 Pushover (1954) (repeat, 12-3-2017)
04-06 Violence (1947)
04-13 The Breaking Point (1950) (repeat, 12-10-2017, 07-25-2020)
04-20 Born to Kill (1947) (repeat, 7-30-2017, 01-23-2021)
04-27 TBA

- As you can see, 4 of the films have been shown on Noir Alley previously, and some have been shown twice before.
- They haven’t filled out the schedule for April yet.
- At least they are promoting the upcoming film for next weekend.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

That doesn't sound good. Noir Alley rarely repeats anything. I was so looking forward to this weeks Noir Alley, now I'm concerned. Eddie always takes a hiatus during Oscar month so that's normal. I never really gave much thought to why Eddie was filmed on locations. His program is one of the few I almost always watch (even if I've seen the film) just to hear his comments.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: March 12th, 2024, 9:00 am That doesn't sound good. Noir Alley rarely repeats anything. I was so looking forward to this weeks Noir Alley, now I'm concerned. Eddie always takes a hiatus during Oscar month so that's normal. I never really gave much thought to why Eddie was filmed on locations. His program is one of the few I almost always watch (even if I've seen the film) just to hear his comments.
...and the comments here. Probably you agree as well as others.
"Desire" (1936)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

cmovieviewer wrote: March 10th, 2024, 3:06 pm
- TCM has apparently given up Eddie’s Noir Alley set and exiled him to a bar in San Francisco.
Small correction here cmv, but that bar Eddie has been having his wraparounds filmed at is actually located across the bay in Oakland.

(...uh-huh, it seems there IS actually "a there, there", afterall) ;)