Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Hoganman1 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 5:29 pm Did anyone notice that a young Barbara Billingsly had a bit part as the secretary of the editor of the paper? She tried to get the editor to take a phone call from one of the hostages.
Yes, I noticed! Everyone thought he was drunk and wouldn't believe him.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 4:25 pm
Fifty bucks an hour just for lying on that lumpy couch. Ain't gonna happen doc.

Yeah I saw this one a few years ago on TCM, but I guess not on Noir Alley. It got off to a bad start with the
bus driver leaving his gun om the bus. I mean who does that? Some things are just beyond one's suspension
of disbelief. I liked the part where we got to see a little bit of the bar patron's character before Thompson
barged in. I thought the lady barfly was pretty hot. And how about Leon Ames' moldy old pickup lines on
the twenty something mama's girl. Desperate. Then enter psycho. Usually there is some sympathy, however
little, for the bad guy. But Thompson was such a murderous creep it's hard to like anything about him. And
talk about a quick trigger finger. It was fun to see the tables turned and bright boy William Conrad getting
it from behind the counter. The last half of the flick is a little duller, just waiting for Thompson to
get his as the Production Code mandated. And so he did. A fairly entertaining claustrophobic noir, even if
we know how things are going to play out. One last thing--when someone orders a boilermaker, give him a
boilermaker, Chuckles. The customer is always right.
Yeah, the bus driver leaving the gun on the bus was really hard to swallow. I guess they had to come up with a way for Thompson to get ahold of a gun.......
Last edited by Hibi on May 25th, 2023, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 4:59 pm

Yeah, the bus driver leaving the gun on the bus was really hard to swallow. I guess hey had to come up with a way for Thompson to get ahold of a gun.......
I know we let a lot of rather unbelievable things go by, but this one was just too far out. I also wondered about the city hall
building being unlocked late at night, but since Thompson gets to the bar around 9:30 it wasn't quite as late as I assumed.
Then there's the old we never locked our doors way back when, but I didn't think it would apply to public buildings. Oh well.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 4:59 pm
Andree wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 4:25 pm
Fifty bucks an hour just for lying on that lumpy couch. Ain't gonna happen doc.

Yeah I saw this one a few years ago on TCM, but I guess not on Noir Alley. It got off to a bad start with the
bus driver leaving his gun om the bus. I mean who does that? Some things are just beyond one's suspension
of disbelief. I liked the part where we got to see a little bit of the bar patron's character before Thompson
barged in. I thought the lady barfly was pretty hot. And how about Leon Ames' moldy old pickup lines on
the twenty something mama's girl. Desperate. Then enter psycho. Usually there is some sympathy, however
little, for the bad guy. But Thompson was such a murderous creep it's hard to like anything about him. And
talk about a quick trigger finger. It was fun to see the tables turned and bright boy William Conrad getting
it from behind the counter. The last half of the flick is a little duller, just waiting for Thompson to
get his as the Production Code mandated. And so he did. A fairly entertaining claustrophobic noir, even if
we know how things are going to play out. One last thing--when someone orders a boilermaker, give him a
boilermaker, Chuckles. The customer is always right.
Yeah, the bus driver leaving the gun on the bus was really hard to swallow. I guess hey had to come up with a way for Thompson to get ahold of a gun.......
It's the kind of thing 2nd Amendment nutjobs must have nightmares about. I mean, leaving their manhood on a bus?! Whoa!
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

That's such an effeminate take. Very French.
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: May 24th, 2023, 6:25 pm

It's the kind of thing 2nd Amendment nutjobs must have nightmares about. I mean, leaving their manhood on a bus?! Whoa!
You'd think that the bus company would have a lockbox to put the pistol in, not just let the driver leave it in the
visor above his seat where just anyone could grab it. If they did that today, they'd be buried underneath a
blizzard of lawsuits.

Another one that strains credulity. I just started watching Man Afraid on YT with George Nader and Phyliss
Thaxter. Burglar breaks into their son's bedroom. They run in and the burglar fights with George. He trips and
gets up and pulls a knife on Nader. Nader picks up his son's snow globe and throws it at the burglar hitting
him in the head. Not only is the burglar knocked out, he is killed. By a snow globe. Oh brother.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Who needs a gun when you have a snow globe.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 24th, 2023, 8:57 pm
laffite wrote: May 24th, 2023, 6:25 pm

You'd think that the bus company would have a lockbox to put the pistol in, not just let the driver leave it in the
visor above his seat where just anyone could grab it. If they did that today, they'd be buried underneath a
blizzard of lawsuits.

Another one that strains credulity. I just started watching Man Afraid on YT with George Nader and Phyliss
Thaxter. Burglar breaks into their son's bedroom. They run in and the burglar fights with George. He trips and
gets up and pulls a knife on Nader. Nader picks up his son's snow globe and throws it at the burglar hitting
him in the head. Not only is the burglar knocked out, he is killed. By a snow globe. Oh brother.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen Man Afraid. Yeah, you're right. Would think the driver would've had a place to lock it up.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 4:56 pm
Hoganman1 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 5:29 pm Did anyone notice that a young Barbara Billingsly had a bit part as the secretary of the editor of the paper? She tried to get the editor to take a phone call from one of the hostages.
Yes, I noticed! Everyone thought he was drunk and wouldn't believe him.
Yes I noticed Barbara Billingsley too. Also she's the hat check girl in Angels in the Outfield, I always notice that whenever I see the film
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Seems she never graduated out of bit parts until Leave It to Beaver. I've never seen her in anything substantial in films.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:21 am

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen Man Afraid. Yeah, you're right. Would think the driver would've had a place to lock it up.
And it wasn't some extra large snow globe, just regular size. And Nader is a minister. I just started watching it, but
it seems the plot will deal with the dead burglar's father going after George and his family. Better buy some more
snow globes, George.
laffite

Post by laffite »

George maybe aught just break it off with snow globes and get a gun. :smiley_cowboy:
After watching Citizen Kane, he is getting sentimental about them.
Andree

Post by Andree »

It does seem a gun would be more effective against a knife wielding intruder. OTOH, it's easier to get hold of a
snow globe. In either case, nobody said rosebud.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 25th, 2023, 4:23 pm
Hibi wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:21 am

And it wasn't some extra large snow globe, just regular size. And Nader is a minister. I just started watching it, but
it seems the plot will deal with the dead burglar's father going after George and his family. Better buy some more
snow globes, George.
LOL. Was this a British film?
Andree

Post by Andree »

No, this is an all-American film. Since Nader is a minister perhaps he doesn't believe in having guns in his home.
Apparently, snow globes are okay.