Noir Alley

MissWonderly

Re: Noir Alley

Post by MissWonderly »

Agreed, Steve Cochran is pretty sexy. I like the way Eddie referred to him in the intro as "the Elvis of noir". It's true, they both have that look, kind of a dark, sulkily handsome bad boy look. Bet Steve wouldn't be able to pull off any versions of "Mystery Train", though.

Steve's girlfriend shouldn't have bothered to pack, and she should have tried to exit via the hotel's back door, instead of risking the elevator. And how come he was able to openly shoot her dead, she falls down all those stairs, but Steve's still able to just get back in the elevator and exit the hotel? Guess everyone was too scared to call the cops til he left....

One more thing... I thought it was hilarious that Steve decides to leave the apartment to go finish his sandwich at the chop suey diner ! And he actually does ! I had to laugh when we see him, solemnly munching on the rest of that sandwich. Nowadays the table would have been cleared before the customer came back. I just think it's so funny, "hey, I'm still hungry, think I'll go back to that restaurant and hope my half-finished food is still there." I'm surprised Thompson didn't notice this.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, I thought it was funny about the sandwich. He was so nonchalant about it. I bet he would've blown his top if the sandwich wasn't there and he would've made them make another one!

I know. I kept yelling at her, Take the stairs! Take the stairs! But, no. I thought it was funny he didn't shoot the elevator operator too, who could easily identify him. And they don't wear masks for the heists! Pretty sloppy.

It was interesting seeing a very young, slimmed down Robert Webber. Richard Egan was pretty much wasted. I doubt he had more than a half dozen lines and disappears about half way through the movie.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:04 pm
LawrenceA wrote: January 29th, 2023, 2:12 pm
...Did the host have anything interesting to add in the intro/outro?
Lawrence, the points Eddie offered up in his wraparounds were of director Andrew L. Stone and his wife Virginia's career of working together to make this film and a few others over the years and that they preferred to work on location instead on movie sets, some of Steve Cochran's life and career and the reason for his getting the lead in this film because of his then recent notable work in the film WHITE HEAT, mentioned some info on the lives and the careers of a few of the supporting actors and actresses as well (although I was kind of surprised he didn't mention Virginia Grey's long and ill-fated romance with Clark Gable), mentioned the film's cinematography done by Carl Guthrie, and that one would be best advised to look past the stilted and pretty much needless opening sequence of the three state governors emphasizing the ol' "Crime does not pay" spiel in order to better enjoy this film.

(...as I recall, anyway)
It was interesting they had the film credits AFTER the film ended! I kept looking for them in the beginning but they never appeared! I skipped over that boring crime doesn't pay crap in the beginning. LOL.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:39 pm
LawrenceA wrote: January 29th, 2023, 2:12 pm
...Did the host have anything interesting to add in the intro/outro?
Lawrence, the points Eddie offered up in his wraparounds were of director Andrew L. Stone and his wife Virginia's career of working together to make this film and a few others over the years and that they preferred to work on location instead on movie sets, some of Steve Cochran's life and career and the reason for his getting the lead in this film because of his then recent notable work in the film WHITE HEAT, mentioned some info on the lives and the careers of a few of the supporting actors and actresses as well (although I was kind of surprised he didn't mention Virginia Grey's long and ill-fated romance with Clark Gable), mentioned the film's cinematography done by Carl Guthrie, and that one would be best advised to look past the stilted and pretty much needless opening sequence of the three state governors emphasizing the ol' "Crime does not pay" spiel in order to better enjoy this film.

(...as I recall, anyway)
It was interesting they had the film credits AFTER the film ended! I kept looking for them in the beginning but they never appeared! I skipped over that boring crime doesn't pay crap in the beginning. LOL.
I assume the lack of film credits is related to that crime-doesn't-pay rant. I.e. this isn't a film with actors doing a fictional story, but instead a reality based morality crime-doesn't-pay message film.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:27 pm
Hibi wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:39 pm

(...as I recall, anyway)
I assume the lack of film credits is related to that crime-doesn't-pay rant. I.e. this isn't a film with actors doing a fictional story, but instead a reality based morality crime-doesn't-pay message film.

LOL.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now I feel a lot better! MissWonderly has made it to the other side. This is so refreshing, like washing your face after about a week or so of not washing your face.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thompson wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:36 pm Now I feel a lot better! MissWonderly has made it to the other side. This is so refreshing, like washing your face after about a week or so of not washing your face.
LOL

Well, I guess that qualifies as a compliment of sorts to MissW here anyway, Thompson. ;)

(...and am glad that you used the word "face" for your metaphor and not some other body part)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Metaphor and Irony are two words I don’t understand, but I know there are going to be a lot of folks glad as all get out to see MissW back!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

And I love it when the narrator digresses, goes with that train of thought. Wonderly is really good at that, she takes you with her without making you, it’s a fine line sometimes. Millstone can set you up with an avatar Miss W if you want one. I respectfully request that you don’t have one of Katharine Hepburn.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:44 pm And I love it when the narrator digresses, goes with that train of thought. Wonderly is really good at that, she takes you with her without making you, it’s a fine line sometimes. Millstone can set you up with an avatar Miss W if you want one. I respectfully request that you don’t have one of Katharine Hepburn.
My guess (and hope) that it will be the same as before.

Mary A ...
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:44 pm . . . Millstone can set you up with an avatar Miss W if you want one . . .
Ready, willing, and able to lend a hand! Just sing out if you need assistance with uploading an avatar, Miss W!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Well, friends, this is kinda noir because I just got evicted from my apartment for acting out and yelling out bad words. Now it’s not all that serious yet , because just because he says so doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. No, he’s going to have to go through a lot of hoops, but me, I’ll just be hanging out, tending to my nose bleed, and ignoring his very existence.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

He came over again, all bent out of shape still, and I told him that yes I’m going to move out but don’t rush me. I never liked you from day one, I told him, try calling the police, I said, good luck with that.
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

Did anyone watch HANGOVER SQUARE? It was pretty good. It reminded me of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Also, I've read in recent posts Ms. Wonderly is now here but I haven't seen any posts from her as yet.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hoganman1 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:43 pm Did anyone watch HANGOVER SQUARE? It was pretty good. It reminded me of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Also, I've read in recent posts Ms. Wonderly is now here but I haven't seen any posts from her as yet.
I watched Hangover Square, both last night and that on-fire ending this morning. Very good film. Great for Muller to showcase a 20th Century Fox film. I'm reading the book on Gene Tierney's autobiography, Self-Portrait, in which she candidly discusses her life, career, and mental illness, which was published in 1979. She mentions the Fox 40s gals; Darnell, Bette Grable, Tierney, etc..

It is interesting to compare the actresses the major studios had under contract (e.g. Warner with Davis, Lupino, DeHavilland, and later Alexis Smith, Elenora Parker, Patrick O'Neal, etc.., and MGM with Garson, Turner, etc...) and how each studio utilized their contract actors.

After watching Hangover Square, my wife and I discussed the tragic situation of Laird Cregar. I said that Cregar's sudden death did create opportunities for another actor and my wife said "would that be Burr?". She nailed it.