More BBCode Formatting Please!

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
EP Millstone

More BBCode Formatting Please!

Post by EP Millstone »

If it is possible, please add more BBCode formatting tools, specifically:
  • Centering text
  • Left aligning text
  • Right aligning text
  • Tables
  • Image (resizing and adding metadata)
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Re: More BBCode Formatting Please!

Post by laffite »

...not to compromise your vary valid request by adding more, EP, but how about more emoticons. Replaced the group altogether as these ones are unprepossessing, to say it kindly.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I can add most of these I think. I'll need to look into it when I have time, maybe this evening.

As for emoticons... I also dislike the built-in ones, but haven't really seen a set that was remarkable. Adding individual ones is a nightmare, so I'd look for a "pack" to replace the standard ones instead. If I come across one that has a larger quantity and is nicer looking, I will certainly be happy to change them if I can.

Side note: while this site has several admins, they are more of the forum admin type, and I am the only "tech" we have. So these kinds of things must be done when I have some extra time. I hope you understand. Things here are on just a bit of a smaller scale than the corporate owned TCM board! :)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

test aligned to the right
test2 aligned to the left
test3 text is centered
How's that? You do have to manually add the equals sign and the word "left", "right" or "center" to choose the alignment. Center is also there as a built-in one, which just wasn't showing on the posting screen until now, so if you just wanted to center something you wouldn't have to do any manual things. If you quote my post you will see the formatting. Let me know if this is ok. I would have to create an individual one for each position otherwise, and I'm wondering how many options above in the reply screen would be too many.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm,

FANTASTIC! Thank you so much!

I found the BBCode code tag, to accurately show BBCode code in a message:

Code: Select all

[align=right]test aligned to the right[/align]
[align=left]test2 aligned to the left[/align]
[align=center]test3 text is centered[/align]
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:34 am Side note: while this site has several admins, they are more of the forum admin type, and I am the only "tech" we have. So these kinds of things must be done when I have some extra time. I hope you understand. Things here are on just a bit of a smaller scale than the corporate owned TCM board! :)
Lomm,

I TOTALLY understand and IMMENSELY appreciate the time, knowledge, and expertise that you voluntarily provide!

THANK YOU!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Lomm wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:34 am I can add most of these I think. I'll need to look into it when I have time, maybe this evening.

As for emoticons... I also dislike the built-in ones, but haven't really seen a set that was remarkable. Adding individual ones is a nightmare, so I'd look for a "pack" to replace the standard ones instead. If I come across one that has a larger quantity and is nicer looking, I will certainly be happy to change them if I can.

Side note: while this site has several admins, they are more of the forum admin type, and I am the only "tech" we have. So these kinds of things must be done when I have some extra time. I hope you understand. Things here are on just a bit of a smaller scale than the corporate owned TCM board! :)
Lomm, thank you so much regarding the emoticons, and all the rest.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Laffite, do you have any specific emoticons that you'd like to see? Just in general, not expecting an entire list. Looking a bit it seems to be easier to add to the existing ones than it used to be, so I might be able to do this easily enough (assuming I can find a pack that includes them).
laffite

Post by laffite »

Lomm wrote: December 5th, 2022, 1:51 pm Laffite, do you have any specific emoticons that you'd like to see? Just in general, not expecting an entire list. Looking a bit it seems to be easier to add to the existing ones than it used to be, so I might be able to do this easily enough (assuming I can find a pack that includes them).
A heart.

Face with a black mask over the nose and mouth resembling a burglar but used when saying something that is over-the-top in some way and want to get away with it.

A full laughie, a big belly laugh with no movement in the face. The one we have doesn't even look like a laugh. More like facial tics.

One particular fave is not a face, it shows a man from the waist up, both arms raised up without bending the elbows, like a football referee signaling a touchdown. It represents wild enthusiasm, extreme happiness and/or approval. Oh, and with an excited facial expression. I'm not asking too much, am I? Ha! Gee, I sound like a little kid asking for these things.

Any general non-facial emojis of your choice for general uses.

I hope that is not too much.

I thank you quite enthusiastically for your wonderful responses and help with these things. You a true gem, thank you.

---laffite
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lomm wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:34 am
I truly do appreciate all that you do for us. You are truly an unsung hero.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: December 5th, 2022, 2:39 pm I truly do appreciate all that you do for us. You are truly an unsung hero.
So sing already!

And a 1 and a 2 and a 3 . . .

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

New Table
This
is
a
table
Test
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

OK we got tables. To use it you'll see a grid above the posting window, next to the other formatting options.

New smilies, you might ask? Well, I got a nice collection of them, uploaded them to the forum, typed a name and description manually for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM and got an "invalid form submission" error. :evil: So I went through and deleted a bunch of them that I didn't really like and tried again, with the same result. So...I'm going to take a break from smilies for today. :lol:

I found out today that Windows, Mac, and smartphones all let you use your emoji keyboard to post to forums. I had no idea this was the case until now. So here's what one can do, as a workaround for the time being.

Windows: press the Windows key on your keyboard, and the period. This brings up the emoji keyboard, and you can select from those. This was news to me, like I said. 😁 (The Windows emojis are hideous)

Smartphones: just on the keyboard like when you text.

Mac: CTRL + CMD + Space (I don't have a Mac to test this)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Because I can't let things go, I've found a way to add more smilies. Issue: there are too many displayed now. :lol: I tried to hide them and got that error again, so for tonight, at least, I'm sorry to say you may have to deal with seeing too many while I figure out how to hide some of them.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I have to do them one at a time to "hide" them. :headbang: There is a bulk editor but it doesn't work. Oh well...going to do a few at a time here and there until it's easier to navigate the posting screen. By the way, they will still be available to you if I hide them, under the view more smilies link at the bottom there, so if you see one you really like, and then you don't see it... you can still get to it! Give me a little bit of time to get this under control.