More BBCode Formatting Please!

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
EP Millstone

Re: More BBCode Formatting Please!

Post by EP Millstone »

Here are links to examples of how the BBCode thumb tool should work. They show thumbnail images that, when clicked, open the images in their actual sizes.

Awesome Custom BBCodes

BBCode Thumb is Not Working
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

If it is possible, please add the following BBCode formatting:

Indent Text
Indent BBCode
Example

Spoiler
Simple Spoiler BBCode
Example

Tooltips
Please add tooltips for the following formatting buttons:
  • Thumb
  • align
  • centre
  • float
Prime note BBCode Extension
laffite

Post by laffite »

May I be allotted a humble request (amid all this demanding).

A non-interactive thread where anyone can suggest an improvement. No can see these suggestions but a moderator, who may be free to consider the request on their own.

In the interest of Peace.

:smiley_snoopy: Capital suggestion.
Mona
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:20 pm May I be allotted a humble request (amid all this demanding).
That you regard my requests as demands reveals, to me, more about you than you probably intended.
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:20 pm A non-interactive thread where anyone can suggest an improvement. No can see these suggestions but a moderator, who may be free to consider the request on their own.
From the description of the Site Talk forum:

"Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you."

The only problem about everyone seeing requests and suggestions for improvements that I perceive is members who get upset by and worked up about requests and suggestions.

. . . which is their problem.
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:49 pm
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:20 pm May I be allotted a humble request (amid all this demanding).
That you regard my requests as demands reveals, to me, more about you than you probably intended.
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:20 pm A non-interactive thread where anyone can suggest an improvement. No can see these suggestions but a moderator, who may be free to consider the request on their own.
From the description of the Site Talk forum:

"Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you."

The only problem about everyone seeing requests and suggestions for improvements that I perceive is members who get upset by and worked up about requests and suggestions.

. . . which is their problem.
1. Okay, have it your way, you make suggestions. I will humor you on that one. When you make wall-to-wall suggestions and in battalions they turn into pleading demands.

2. Requests and suggestions are fine with me so long they are not abused by extremist behaviors. I dreamt last night that someone here identified itself as a "control freak." Or did I actually see it? It may have been actually posted but hastily withdrawn realizing that he/she was spilling the beans.

:smiley_snoopy: Oh, come on, Laffite. Get off it!! EP Millstein is our ambassador to the Mods. At least you can give him some slack.

:smiley_worship:

:smiley_snoopy: Not that much.
Mona
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:36 pm 1. Okay, have it your way . . .
Whenever I can!
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:36 pm 1.. . . When you make wall-to-wall suggestions and in battalions they turn into pleading demands.
That's your neurosis!
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:36 pm 2. Requests and suggestions are fine with me so long they are not abused by extremist behaviors . . .
You write that as though I am interested and concerned about whether my requests and suggestions are fine with you or not fine with you.

Abandon your misconception and free yourself of that delusion.

To you and other TCM Message Board migrants who are upset by my requests, please explain to me what is so bloody wrong and upsetting?

I am not asking for new features that must be created from scratch. They exist in phpBB software. I, for one, want to use them.

All of the features that I have requested existed on the TCM Message Boards. I, for one, would like to see them available on the SSO. If you don't care about using them . . . (as with the ridiculously controversial Like button) you don't have to!

To Lomm,

If you are unable to grant my requests because you don't know how to or because it is just too complicated to grant them -- Just Say So! For all of the updates that you have made based on newbies' requests, I Thank You!

I know, understand, and respect that you are a One Man Show, compared to the, I presume, team that administrated the TCM Message Boards. You know better than I do about the technical support provided by phpBB developers and administrators. Based on my cursory investigations of phpBB software, it does not seem to be as "simple" to implement and update as the Invision Community forum software used on the TCM Message Boards.

The Site Talk forum was created to, in part, request features. I, for one, intend to take advantage of the opportunity to do so.
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: January 9th, 2023, 1:45 am
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:36 pm 1. Okay, have it your way . . .

Whenever I can!
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:36 pm 1.. . . When you make wall-to-wall suggestions and in battalions they turn into pleading demands.
That's your neurosis!
laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:36 pm 2. Requests and suggestions are fine with me so long they are not abused by extremist behaviors . . .
You write that as though I am interested and concerned about whether my requests and suggestions are fine with you or not fine with you.

Abandon your misconception and free yourself of that delusion.

quote:To you and other TCM Message Board migrants who are upset by my requests, please explain to me what is so bloody wrong and upsetting?

I am not asking for new features that must be created from scratch. They exist in phpBB software. I, for one, want to use them. quote

All of the features that I have requested existed on the TCM Message Boards. I, for one, would like to see them available on the SSO. If you don't care about using them . . . (as with the ridiculously controversial Like button) you don't have to!

To Lomm,

If you are unable to grant my requests because you don't know how to or because it is just too complicated to grant them -- Just Say So! For all of the updates that you have made based on newbies' requests, I Thank You!

I know, understand, and respect that you are a One Man Show, compared to the, I presume, team that administrated the TCM Message Boards. You know better than I do about the technical support provided by phpBB developers and administrators. Based on my cursory investigations of phpBB software, it does not seem to be as "simple" to implement and update as the Invision Community forum software used on the TCM Message Boards.

The Site Talk forum was created to, in part, request features. I, for one, intend to take advantage of the opportunity to do so.
To you and other TCM Message Board migrants who are upset by my requests, please explain to me what is so bloody wrong and upsetting?

Masha's much maligned post, though extravagantly expressed, has a point. It's not particularly in good taste to make so many demands, especially in such a frequent and sometimes in a manner that seems close to entitlement and don't always sound like requests at all. We are, most us anyway, come from TCM and when one of us might become expansive in manner, then all are affected. What if they decide just to close the forum because it's all too much trouble to maintain due to incessant demands. I don't think this would happen but I am still sensitive to the possibility.
Mona
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:14 am . . . It's not particularly in good taste to make so many demands, especially in such a frequent and sometimes in a manner that seems close to entitlement and don't always sound like requests at all. We are, most us anyway, come from TCM and when one of us might become expansive in manner, then all are affected. What if they decide just to close the forum because it's all too much trouble to maintain due to incessant demands. I don't think this would happen but I am still sensitive to the possibility.
Regarding this discussion, I'm going to adhere to the following sound advice and wisdom respectively attributed to The Bible, Mark Twain, and George Carlin:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him.

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

[/quote]

Masha's much maligned post, though extravagantly expressed, has a point. It's not particularly in good taste to make so many demands, especially in such a frequent and sometimes in a manner that seems close to entitlement and don't always sound like requests at all. We are, most us anyway, come from TCM and when one of us might become expansive in manner, then all are affected. What if they decide just to close the forum because it's all too much trouble to maintain due to incessant demands. I don't think this would happen but I am still sensitive to the possibility.
[/quote]

Thank you Lafitte - well said. :smiley_cheers:
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: January 9th, 2023, 10:46 am
Regarding this discussion, I'm going to adhere to the following sound advice and wisdom respectively attributed to The Bible, Mark Twain, and George Carlin:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him.

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
I guess I should follow your advice and stop responding to your posts in the future. :lol:
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: January 9th, 2023, 12:35 pm I guess I should follow your advice and stop responding to your posts in the future. :lol:
Too late, Gomer!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Can we please cool it with the passive aggressive goading of each other? It's not just in this thread, I keep seeing it again and again. There's no reason for it. I will passive aggressively not name any names with that plea, just so everyone knows it's directed at...everyone. :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Now, as for your requests, EP: I don't spend a lot of time here, and for the most part, other than major catastrophes and updates, I have not had to spend a great deal of the time I DO spend here doing changes to the board. Since our renaissance, I have had to do a lot more...which is fine, and to be expected; the board hadn't been touched in years, and my last upgrade to repair the site wiped a lot of the customizations I'd done previously (it was terrible, lost everything except members and posts). SO...if/when am both here, and have some spare time/motivation to do some changes, I will do so. This includes the much-discussed "like button". I'm not trying to be unpleasant, nor am I saying to stop asking for things...but I am saying I'll do them when I feel like it. :D Helping out and spending time at the Oasis is something I do because I enjoy it, not because it's my job, unlike those people who managed the TCM forums, as you say. Thanks.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:11 pm Can we please cool it with the passive aggressive goading of each other? It's not just in this thread, I keep seeing it again and again. There's no reason for it. I will passive aggressively not name any names with that plea, just so everyone knows it's directed at...everyone. :smilie_happy_thumbup:
I hope that I'm not guilty of "passive aggressive" behavior. I strive for unmitigated, unpasteurized, 100% Grade A, full-on aggression. I'll try to honor your request, Lomm. But if someone wants to "play" with me, I'm more than willing to accommodate them.

FYI and for future reference, TCM Message Boards refugees are not all One Big Happy Family. For the record and also for future reference, I am Nobody's Friend on this site or any other cyberspace forum. I'm not here to Make Friends.

Regarding laffite's crack about me being an "ambassador to the Mods," disregard it. I'm not interested in the position. If nominated, I will not accept. If elected, I will not serve.

So please, don't hold all TCM Message Boards nomads accountable for my "demands" . . . which I, and I alone, own.
Lomm wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:11 pm Now, as for your requests, EP . . . Helping out and spending time at the Oasis is something I do because I enjoy it, not because it's my job, unlike those people who managed the TCM forums, as you say. Thanks.
Understood, and thank you for your response and for the explanation.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lomm wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:11 pm nor am I saying to stop asking for things
I would never ask for you to spend time searching for how to add a certain feature but I will humbly request that you keep alert as you scan lists of available functions for a module or subroutine which will allow us to reach through the screen and punch another user in the nose. Perhaps as an enhancement of the: 'Foe' function? I am reasonably sure than some here would greatly welcome that.

I believe that you will have to admit that it would reduce greatly the passive-aggressiveness.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: January 9th, 2023, 4:33 pm
Lomm wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:11 pm nor am I saying to stop asking for things
I would never ask for you to spend time searching for how to add a certain feature but I will humbly request that you keep alert as you scan lists of available functions for a module or subroutine which will allow us to reach through the screen and punch another user in the nose. Perhaps as an enhancement of the: 'Foe' function? I am reasonably sure than some here would greatly welcome that.

I believe that you will have to admit that it would reduce greatly the passive-aggressiveness.
... Now now, now now.

; - )
Mona