I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 28th, 2024, 8:27 pm
Lorna wrote: April 28th, 2024, 11:33 am
kingrat wrote: April 27th, 2024, 9:57 pm My favorite moment in TOOTSIE is Teri Garr's scream when Michael reveals on live TV that he is Dorothy.
"THAT is one nutty hospital."
"Does Jeff know?"
[Nods solemnly]
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 26th, 2024, 2:38 pm
Hibi wrote: April 25th, 2024, 2:17 pm Who would name their son EDSEL???? He was cursed from birth!
He only lived about half as long as his father Henry Ford did to boot.
I know. What a tragic figure.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: April 26th, 2024, 3:25 pm
Hibi wrote: April 26th, 2024, 8:57 am

His weight really fluctuated during the series.
He seemed slimmer at the start and then got bigger as the show went on. By the
time of the last few seasons he looked like a refrigerator with a suit on. He also
had a shorter haircut, but I don't think the two were connected.

I've read that Burr had so much dialogue to remember that he sometimes stayed
at the studio overnight instead of going home. I was watching an episode the other
night where Della says the location is giving her the willies. I always get a kick
out of that expression.

Do I know what a common law marriage is? Why honey, that's the only way I would
get married. Say big boy what are you doing after court is adjourned for the day?
LOL. Della went far and beyond what a legal secretary would do. Seems she was available 24 hrs a day. She even put up some of Perry's client at her apt.!!!. She had no life beyond her job it seems (at least in tvland). Paul I could see. He was a private eye.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 28th, 2024, 11:53 am SPOILER IN RE EVIL UNDER THE SUN

I also LIVE for the scene at the end where JANE BIRKIN gets to make up for dressing like a chemo patient throughout the whole movie by wearing THIS:

AND SHE ALSO TALKS LIKE ONE OF THE SIAMESE CATS FROM LADY AND THE TRAMP all of a sudden
Love the costumes in that film! (Were they Oscar nominated?) This is one of the few Christie plots where I figured out whodunit before the end!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 28th, 2024, 11:47 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 26th, 2024, 2:34 pm
I'm a big fan of EVIL UNDER THE SUN, which also features Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot.

not as big a fan as me.

MY FRIEND also gifted me a DVD of EVIL UNDER THE SUN and I have watched it SO MANY TIMES in the week that I have had it.

IT IS A FILM with which I have a LONG HISTORY- it showed on HBO ALL THE TIME in the 1980's (they showed a lot of films that didn't hit it big at the box office, i guess the broadcast rights were cheaper.)

it bothered my whole family how much I LOVED EVIL UNDER THE SUN, how it seemed to speak my language (I was about 8 years old) I remember it bothered my father in particular and I still recall having words with him over it. To be fair, he also HATED the fact that I loved THE DUKES OF HAZZARD, which is about as HETEROSEXUAL AS ENTERTAINMENT GETS, so it's like "pick a lane, Dad."

to be fair, in retrospect, it is a REALLY really REALLY gay film.

the ensembles, the hats, the accessories, the COLE PORTER, NICHOLAS CLAY'S SCRUMPTIOUS ASSCHEEKS....

And I love every single second of it.

I LOVE THE COSTUMES. I LOVE THE WATERCOLORS AT THE BEGINNING DURING THE TITLES!!! I LOVE THE SCORE!

My lifelong admiration of COLE PORTER began with this movie.

if you asked me to pick a movie to watch ON LOOP for 24 hours, I would- without hesitation- say EVIL UNDER THE SUN!

If I could be hit on the head like JOHN CANDY in DELIRIOUS! or pull some kind of telekenetic PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED transcendental stuff- I would choose to LIVE AS A CHARACTER WITHIN EVIL UNDER THE SUN.

And I would spend all day on the terrace with SYLVIA MILES and MAGGIE SMITH and JAMES MASON and RODDY! engaging in the HOTTEST of HOT GOSSIP and then go for a walkabout with PETER USTINOV as we made fun of the outfits they forced JANE BIRKIN to wear.
[/quote]

OMG!!!!!!!! I don't remember that scene at all! Loved the score and was disappointed there wasn't any soundtrack to buy (at least I never saw one at the time).
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 8:52 am
Love the costumes in that film [EVIL UNDER THE SUN]! (Were they Oscar nominated?)

This is one of the few Christie plots where I figured out whodunit before the end!
1. NO! Which is a terrible shame, I know we've talked about it before- I don't recall the nominees, but I recall there being one or two I would NOT have nominated over the wonderful work in EVIL (especially the use of PRIMARY COLORS)

2. Yeah, with EVIL UNDER THE SUN, it's notsomuch a "whodunnit" as it is a "how did they do it?"- i wonder if that impacted the BOX OFFICE (it is a similar reveal as in DEATH ON THE NILE]
Last edited by Lorna on April 29th, 2024, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I think I also looked for the soundtrack to EVIL UNDER THE SUN back in the 1980's- now that I know COLE PORTER'S work better, I MARVEL at what a MASTERWORK the score is, not only is it wonderfully composed and orchestrated seguing from one song into another like a long suite, it even cleverly inserts some songs at just the right moment, like IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT sequing into I CONCENTRATE ON YOU as we see POIROT pondering the crime late at night in his room, or how ANTHING GOES plays jauntily as MAGGIE SMITH walks out in silhouette with her wonderful peplum shaking back and forth.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 10:04 am I think I also looked for the soundtrack to EVIL UNDER THE SUN back in the 1980's- now that I know COLE PORTER'S work better, I MARVEL at what a MASTERWORK the score is, not only is it wonderfully composed and orchestrated seguing from one song into another like a long suite, it even cleverly inserts some songs at just the right moment, like IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT sequing into I CONCENTRATE ON YOU as we see POIROT pondering the crime late at night in his room, or how ANTHING GOES plays jauntily as MAGGIE SMITH walks out in silhouette with her wonderful peplum shaking back and forth.
There's a long history of using scoring cues and diegetic sound like this. One that immediately comes to my mind is in North by Northwest. As Roger O. Thornhill (Cary Grant) enters the Plaza Hotel in the first few minutes of the film, the lobby music is playing "It's a Most Unusual Day"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 9:59 am
Love the costumes in that film [EVIL UNDER THE SUN]! (Were they Oscar nominated?)

This is one of the few Christie plots where I figured out whodunit before the end!
1. NO! Which is a terrible shame, I know we've talked about it before- I don't recall the nominees, but I recall there being one or two I would NOT have nominated over the wonderful work in EVIL (especially the use of PRIMARY COLORS)

2. Yeah, with EVIL UNDER THE SUN, it's notsomuch a "whodunnit" as it is a "how did they do it?"- i wonder if that impacted the BOX OFFICE (it is a similar reveal as in DEATH ON THE NILE]
I thought NOT! :( Yes, true. It wasn't that hard to guess.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 10:04 am I think I also looked for the soundtrack to EVIL UNDER THE SUN back in the 1980's- now that I know COLE PORTER'S work better, I MARVEL at what a MASTERWORK the score is, not only is it wonderfully composed and orchestrated seguing from one song into another like a long suite, it even cleverly inserts some songs at just the right moment, like IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT sequing into I CONCENTRATE ON YOU as we see POIROT pondering the crime late at night in his room, or how ANTHING GOES plays jauntily as MAGGIE SMITH walks out in silhouette with her wonderful peplum shaking back and forth.
I remember there was an album of Porter music "inspired by" the music in the film, but it wasn't an actual soundtrack. I remember returning it feeling duped!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 9:59 am

The Five Nominees for Costume Design in 1982 were:

Gandhi***
La Traviata
Sophie's Choice
Tron
Victor/Victoria

Now, I think we can easily say that Gandhi won because it was in a big Oscar sweep, because most of the costumes in that film aren't the most memorable.

Tron is another strange pick, where the nominated outfits are these leotard outfits (enhanced with visual light effects in the editing process), which caused a decided panic with leads Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner when they found out that the outfits had no pants, which caused a big stir among the female Disney employees whenever the two would go to the commissary for lunch every day.

The other three, I feel, were good picks for the costume category.

Evil Under the Sun did come close to a nomination in a soon to be discontinued category called Song Score (it was shortlisted), but was locked out by the trio of Victor/Victoria (which won), Annie, and One from the Heart.

Peter Ustinov did actually play Poirot on the big screen one more time..... But it is best to forget that one. It was Appointment with Death in 1988, which might have started with a script written by Anthony Shaffer, who wrote both Nile and Evil, but it was mostly re-written by others, and the resultant script wasn't good, coupled with a very bad musical score, and an underutilized cast. For a big Christie fan like me, it was a major disappointment.

For the record, in that film, Poirot was trying to find out who killed off a much hated matriarch (Piper Laurie) with a hypodermic. The suspects included Jenny Seagrove, Carrie Fisher, David Soul, Lauren Bacall, Hayley Mills, and John Gielgud.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 11:22 am
I remember there was an album of Porter music "inspired by" the music in the film, but it wasn't an actual soundtrack. I remember returning it feeling duped!
I rarely say this, but honest-to-God in the right hands, EVIL UNDER THE SUN would make a marvelous musical/comedy.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

DEATHPROOF (2007) Still boring... QT sure is obsessed with ladies' legs and feet... :smiley_huh:

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 29th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Gandhi***
La Traviata
Sophie's Choice
Tron
Victor/Victoria

Now, I think we can easily say that Gandhi won because it was in a big Oscar sweep, because most of the costumes in that film aren't the most memorable.

Evil Under the Sun did come close to a nomination in a soon to be discontinued category called Song Score (it was shortlisted), but was locked out by the trio of Victor/Victoria (which won), Annie, and One from the Heart.

Peter Ustinov did actually play Poirot on the big screen one more time..... But it is best to forget that one. It was Appointment with Death in 1988, which might have started with a script written by Anthony Shaffer, who wrote both Nile and Evil, but it was mostly re-written by others, and the resultant script wasn't good, coupled with a very bad musical score, and an underutilized cast. For a big Christie fan like me, it was a major disappointment.

For the record, in that film, Poirot was trying to find out who killed off a much hated matriarch (Piper Laurie) with a hypodermic. The suspects included Jenny Seagrove, Carrie Fisher, David Soul, Lauren Bacall, Hayley Mills, and John Gielgud.
I dunno, does MERYL STREEP rock a WONDERBREAD-INSPIRED SWIMSUIT in SOPHIE'S CHOICE? Are there MARVELOUS ENORMOUS HATS??? I have not seen it, but I feel like the answer is "no." Honestly, I LOVE VICTOR/VICTORIA, but I think EVIL UNDER THE SUN has better costumes. We're simpatico on GANDHI though....ALTHOUGH IF BEN KINGSLEY WALKED DOWN A STAIRCASE IN AN ENSEMBLE LIKE JANE BIRKIN'S AT THE END OF "EVIL" THE BRITISH WOULD HAVE PULLED OUT IMMEDIATELY.

Thank you for letting me know that about the score almost getting nommed, it really deserved it, more I'd venture to say than ANNIE.

i WILL say that the costumes in ANNIE should have been nominated over GANDHI and SOPHIE'S CHOICE and I dunno maybe TRON too.

Yes, yes, APPOINTMENT WITH DEATH...I remember coming across is on HBO in the late 80s and being excited and...eesh.

I do remember thinking PIPER LAURIE was SUPERB THOUGH.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 1:39 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 29th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Gandhi***
La Traviata
Sophie's Choice
Tron
Victor/Victoria

I dunno, does MERYL STREEP rock a WONDERBREAD-INSPIRED SWIMSUIT in SOPHIE'S CHOICE? Are there MARVELOUS ENORMOUS HATS??? I have not seen it, but I feel like the answer is "no." Honestly, I LOVE VICTOR/VICTORIA, but I think EVIL UNDER THE SUN has better costumes. We're simpatico on GANDHI though....ALTHOUGH IF BEN KINGSLEY WALKED DOWN A STAIRCASE IN AN ENSEMBLE LIKE JANE BIRKIN'S AT THE END OF "EVIL" THE BRITISH WOULD HAVE PULLED OUT IMMEDIATELY.

Thank you for letting me know that about the score almost getting nommed, it really deserved it, more I'd venture to say than ANNIE.

i WILL say that the costumes in ANNIE should have been nominated over GANDHI and SOPHIE'S CHOICE and I dunno maybe TRON too.

Yes, yes, APPOINTMENT WITH DEATH...I remember coming across is on HBO in the late 80s and being excited and...eesh.

I do remember thinking PIPER LAURIE was SUPERB THOUGH.

Who could forget Ghandi??? Love those loincloths! Undeserved win, even nomination!