I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Cinemaspeak59

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 21st, 2023, 2:49 pm I just watched Berkeley Square (1933). What a wonderful and romantic film. Leslie Howard gives a great performance (nominated for an Oscar).

I was also very impressed with Heather Angel. I wish TCM would show more of the films she was in, but many are early Fox or Paramount films.

The only film I know I have seen her in is The Last of the Mohicans (1936) with Randolph Scott.
A favorite of mine. Also works as a comedy of manners.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 21st, 2023, 2:49 pm
I was also very impressed with Heather Angel. I wish TCM would show more of the films she was in, but many are early Fox or Paramount films.

The only film I know I have seen her in is The Last of the Mohicans (1936) with Randolph Scott.
I'm a fan of Ms. Angel as well. She's very good in The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1935), a film of which I am very fond. She plays Rosa Bud.

Douglass Montgomery and Heather Angel in The Mystery of Edwin Drood
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Swithin wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 1:46 pm

I'm a fan of Ms. Angel as well. She's very good in The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1935), a film of which I am very fond. She plays Rosa Bud.

This is a Universal film and as we know TCM doesn't feature that studio much expect for their horror films, so I have never seen it.

Relooking at her list of films, I have seen The Informer (1935), since this is an RKO films and thus one of the 3 studios in the original TCM library.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 2:32 pm

This is a Universal film and as we know TCM doesn't feature that studio much expect for their horror films, so I have never seen it.

Relooking at her list of films, I have seen The Informer (1935), since this is an RKO films and thus one of the 3 studios in the original TCM library.
You can find it on YouTube. It was directed by Stuart Walker, the same year he directed Werewolf of London, and features a few of the same actors: Valerie Hobson, Ethel Griffies, Zeffie Tilbury. John Balderston co-wrote the script. He wrote screenplays for many great films.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Masha wrote: June 21st, 2023, 7:50 pm I apologize that this is off-topic for this thread but I am very curious as to attitudes and beliefs of those here on this matter.

I have been watching: Picket Fences (1992–1996). Am I suffering a significant cultural disconnect or is this series totally bonkers?
You should see Skerritt in Big Bad Mama with Capt. Kirk and future police woman Angie Dickinson.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Doesn't look like a sled to me.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Fedya wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 6:48 pm

Doesn't look like a sled to me.
:lol: (I had to think a minute.)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Living (2022)

This movie fits into the "how can I die, I haven't lived!" genre. Bill Nighy plays a stiff, formal English government bureaucrat, nicknamed "the zombie" by a subordinate. He can barely communicate with family and colleagues and finds out he has a terminal illness with only months to live. He begins to come out of his shell. The early parts of this film are almost cliched, and I found the scenes with the insomniac whom he gives the drugs to almost ridiculous. Nevertheless, the film grows on you. His obsession with the playground project, trying to push through a community project for a poor area of London (a project he once shelved), is touching and constitutes the best part of the film. Nighy, an actor I first saw on the stage of London's National Theatre in 1983, is excellent in the role. The other actors are fine, and I liked the film, and its shots of London. Nighy's office is in London's County Hall, now a hotel. I once went to a reception there, when it was still the center of London's local government. Screenplay by Kazuo Ishiguro. Based on Kurosawa's Ikiru.

The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981)

It's surprising that I'd never seen this film, which fits into the genre of movies that take place in two totally different time periods, with parallel/related stories. This is a beautifully produced film with amazing credits, directed by Karel Reisz, written by Harold Pinter, cinematography by Freddie Francis, and starring Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irons. I should have liked this film more than I did, although I did enjoy it. It's beautiful to look at, shot mostly in Lyme Regis on the south coast of England, It focuses on actors making a movie in contemporary times; and the story of that movie, which takes place in Victorian England. Basically two love stories involving the Meryl and Jeremy characters, one story seemingly tragic, barreling however toward a happy ending; the other, a modern story, ending unhappily, at least for Jeremy. (Sometimes, it's almost very briefly unclear at first, which story you are actually watching, which is a nice touch.) I liked it but probably would have liked it more, had I seen it in 1981.

(Like the Jeanne Moreau character's sailor in The Sailor from Gibraltar, which I recently saw, one wonders if the French lieutenant really existed.)

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Swithin wrote: June 24th, 2023, 8:28 am Living (2022)

This movie fits into the "how can I die, I haven't lived!" genre. Bill Nighy plays a stiff, formal English government bureaucrat, nicknamed "the zombie" by a subordinate. He can barely communicate with family and colleagues and finds out he has a terminal illness with only months to live. He begins to come out of his shell. The early parts of this film are almost cliched, and I found the scenes with the insomniac whom he gives the drugs to almost ridiculous. Nevertheless, the film grows on you. His obsession with the playground project, trying to push through a community project for a poor area of London (a project he once shelved), is touching and constitutes the best part of the film. Nighy, an actor I first saw on the stage of London's National Theatre in 1983, is excellent in the role. The other actors are fine, and I liked the film, and its shots of London. Nighy's office is in London's County Hall, now a hotel. I once went to a reception there, when it was still the center of London's local government. Screenplay by Kazuo Ishiguro. Based on Kurosawa's Ikiru.
I saw it this week as well. It is, as you said, a bit shaky at first, but it does get markedly better as it goes along, and I know that by the time that Nighy had his big scene in the pub telling the young girl that he hadn't much more time, I was deeply moved. It's a film that I think would be pretty warmly regarded around here, as it is very classical in its filmmaking style (The PG-13 rating here in the States is only due to a scene involving a carnival dancer suggestively undulating)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bill Nighy was excellent in the BBC Production of He Knew He Was Right (Anthony Trollope novel) but I hated his character. Very intrusive and quite maddening, at least in the eyes of the hero and in the eyes most viewers I would imagine. This is why people murder people.
"Edith"
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I first saw Nighy on stage in David Hare's The Map of the World, (1983), followed by Pravda (1985), followed by Mean Tears (1986), followed by King Lear (as Edgar, with Anthony Hopkins as Lear, 1986), followed by Arcadia (1992), followed by The Seagull (with Judi Dench, 1994). All great performances in excellent productions. I'll never forget that King Lear, it was my first.

Anthony Hopkins, Bill Nighy in King Lear

Bill Nighy, Felicity Kendal in Arcadia (1992)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: June 24th, 2023, 2:29 pm I first saw Nighy on stage in David Hare's The Map of the World, (1983), followed by Pravda (1985), followed by Mean Tears (1986), followed by King Lear (as Edgar, with Anthony Hopkins as Lear, 1986), followed by Arcadia (1992), followed by The Seagull (with Judi Dench, 1994). All great performances in excellent productions. I'll never forget that King Lear, it was my first.

Edgar is so difficult to play, you almost have to be half-maniac to begin with. I would not associate Nighy with this role but I'm not sure I've seen anything when he was younger. In The Sea Gull, I can see him as the writer but also as the playwright (if young enough.)
"Edith"
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE BIG CUBE (1969) Starring LANA TURNER and GEORGE CHAKIRIS. Ech, so bad I want to look at all of it instead of going to bed.

Fedya

Post by Fedya »

I watched Lana in Love Has Many Faces, which is objectively not very good, but still entertainingly bad. Unfortunately, it's not as entertainingly bad as The Big Cube.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: June 24th, 2023, 3:23 pm
Swithin wrote: June 24th, 2023, 2:29 pm I first saw Nighy on stage in David Hare's The Map of the World, (1983), followed by Pravda (1985), followed by Mean Tears (1986), followed by King Lear (as Edgar, with Anthony Hopkins as Lear, 1986), followed by Arcadia (1992), followed by The Seagull (with Judi Dench, 1994). All great performances in excellent productions. I'll never forget that King Lear, it was my first.

Edgar is so difficult to play, you almost have to be half-maniac to begin with. I would not associate Nighy with this role but I'm not sure I've seen anything when he was younger. In The Sea Gull, I can see him as the writer but also as the playwright (if young enough.)
Nighy played Trigorin, the writer, in The Seagull. Nina was played by Helen McCrory. Alan Cox (Brian's son) played Konstantin, the young playwright. Judi Dench was Arkadina.

Here's Bill in A Map of the World (1983), the first play I ever saw him in, with Diana Quick, who was his partner for many years and with whom he has a child. Diana Quick was Julia in Brideshead Revisited.

Last edited by Swithin on June 25th, 2023, 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.