I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 15th, 2024, 12:40 pm I don't think I've ever seen an entire episode of ALICE, but I love the movie ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE [/b]that was the inspiration for the TV series.

I'M THE OPPOSITE- I've only seen the TV SERIES, which I grew up watching on THE SUPERSTATION.

It would be interesting to see what you think of ALICE: THE SERIES, for me: it's an interesting case of a SITCOM where THE LEAD was DREADFUL but almost all the supporting cast worked overtime to make up for it (especially VIC TAYBACK and the actress who played "Vera"- i especially liked her)

edit- to this day, when I see VIC TAYBACK in something, my eyes just light up- he was a delightful actor.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Andree wrote: April 14th, 2024, 7:01 pm Jack Woltz, the Hollywood producer, must have been one hell of a heavy sleeper. They
put a horse's head dripping with lots of blood underneath his sheet and he sleeps right
through it. Whatever.
THAT BUGGED ME TOO!
Like, not just the needless cruelty to an animal, but also THE GAPING PLOT HOLE of him not noticing.
That blood would have been warm too.
Ick.
Man, his DRY CLEANER must've been HATIN LIFE- I don't think BILLY MAYS and a GALLON OF OXICLEAN could get those sheets BRIGHT WHITE again.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 15th, 2024, 1:24 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 15th, 2024, 12:40 pm I don't think I've ever seen an entire episode of ALICE, but I love the movie ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE [/b]that was the inspiration for the TV series.

I'M THE OPPOSITE- I've only seen the TV SERIES, which I grew up watching on THE SUPERSTATION.

It would be interesting to see what you think of ALICE: THE SERIES, for me: it's an interesting case of a SITCOM where THE LEAD was DREADFUL but almost all the supporting cast worked overtime to make up for it (especially VIC TAYBACK and the actress who played "Vera"- i especially liked her)

edit- to this day, when I see VIC TAYBACK in something, my eyes just light up- he was a delightful actor.
UGH. Don't think I liked anyone on that show. And it stayed on the air way past its expiration date. Kiss My Grits got old very quickly also.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

**actually now that I think about it, the notion of a BIG TIME HOLLYWOOD PRODUCER sleeping ALONE (and not next to a minimum of three SMOKING HOT men, women, or a mix of the two) is a GAPING PLOTHOLE IN AND OF ITSELF.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 1:35 pm Kiss My Grits got old very quickly also.

IT REALLY DID, DIDN'T IT?
And yet- GOD HELP ME- I still kinda low-key love it.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 15th, 2024, 12:47 pm
As a Jew, I know I definitely related to Fran's "I just wanted to eat bacon" remark on THE NANNY.
LOL

Yeah, I can see this, Holden. I mean who DOESN'T like bacon, right?!

Although in this, I would assume the word "shellfish" or "ham" might've worked almost as well, huh!

Still though, did this line ever become a cultural phenomenon and for a while and often referrenced by the general public such as any of those in the 'Seinfeld' lines I listed above?

(...btw and coincidentally, I just had a nice BLT for lunch...eat your heart out, kid!) ;)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

When sitcom writers resort to relying on catchphrases to get a big studio audience response, that sitcom is generally on the decline. Whether it's "Dyn-o-mite!", "Kiss my grits", or "Up your nose with a rubber hose," they are funny the first half dozen times, but wear about as well as a 70s leisure suit.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TCM 20th anniversary ROBERT OSBOURNE Tribute with ALEX TREBEK. It came on in the wee hours and I watched it again. I have more questions now than I did 10 years ago...
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Did someone say Leisure Suit as in Larry?
For all you non-perverted game players, this was a series of games from Sierra Online.
They were 8-bit games on floppy discs originally.
https://www.sierragamers.com/
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 15th, 2024, 1:38 pm
Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 1:35 pm Kiss My Grits got old very quickly also.

IT REALLY DID, DIDN'T IT?
And yet- GOD HELP ME- I still kinda low-key love it.
LOL.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Lorna wrote: April 15th, 2024, 1:31 pm
THAT BUGGED ME TOO!
Like, not just the needless cruelty to an animal, but also THE GAPING PLOT HOLE of him not noticing.
That blood would have been warm too.
Ick.
Man, his DRY CLEANER must've been HATIN LIFE- I don't think BILLY MAYS and a GALLON OF OXICLEAN could get those sheets BRIGHT WHITE again.
A horse is a horse of course of course and nobody would sleep with a horse of course...

It is kind of humorous. Either way, it worked as Johnny got the part. I suppose the
message was this time a horse's head, the next time....I would have just thrown
those sheet out. Fuhgeddaboudthem.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

The horse head in the scene in The Godfather was acquired from a glue factory. John Marley, the actor in bed with the head, didn't know it was going to be a real head, so his screams in the scene were genuine.
Last edited by CinemaInternational on April 15th, 2024, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 15th, 2024, 4:31 pm The horse head in the scene in The Godfather was aquired from a glue factory. John Marley, the actor in bed with the head, didn't know it was going to be a real head, so his screams in the scene were genuine.

YUCK. I would've been super pissed.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 15th, 2024, 1:24 pm

Vic Tayback was the only actor from ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HER ANYMORE to reprise their role on the TV series ALICE. Diane Ladd (who played Flo in the movie and was nominated for an Oscar) joined the cast of the TV series later in the run but in a different role.
Alfred Lutter who was wonderful as Alice's son in the movie was in the pilot for the TV show but was replaced by a very bland (but kind of cute) actor when the show was picked up.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

(Still better than waking up next to THE LUME LADY.)