Top Ten Peter Lorre Films

Detective Jim McLeod

Top Ten Peter Lorre Films

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

The original psycho killer in movies,these are my top ten favorites,comment on these or post your own list

1. M(1931)he is terrifying and somehow sympathetic as a psychotic murderer of children,unforgettable performance.

2. Mad Love-Lorre gives another creepy and disturbing performance as a doctor driven mad when rejected by a woman.

3. Crime And Punishment-though not the first one you would think of to play this famous literary character, he does an excellent job as the man haunted by his crime.

4. Mr Moto Takes A Vacation-best of the films as Japanese detective Mr Moto,he is heroic and funny.

5. The Face Behind The Mask-one of his more sympathetic roles as man disfigured in a fire who turns to crime.

6. Stranger On The Third Floor-a small role but by far the most memorable character in the film,final scenes are still frightening today.

7. All Through The Night-another of his evil sadistic characters,shocking scene where he cold bloodily murders an old man.

8. Arsenic And Old Lace-hilarious performance as drunken plastic surgeon who operates on Raymond Massey's face and makes him look like Boris Karloff!

9. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea-great Disney sci fi adventure,Lorre holds his own in scenes with great actors like Kirk Douglas and James Mason,great scene where he gives Douglas a punch in the stomach.

10. The Raven(1963)one of his last but most energetic performances,as a hapless magician at the mercy of evil sorcerer Boris Karloff.

LiamCasey

Re: Top Ten Peter Lorre Films

Post by LiamCasey »

My ten favorite Peter Lorre movies in order of preference:

Casablanca (1942) - Like I'd have anything else on top considering my avatar!
M (1931)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
Three Strangers (1946)
The Verdict (1946)
All Through The Night (1942)
Thank You, Mr. Moto (1937)
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)

It is a tough row to hoe when I have to toss out all horror movies, two Humphrey Bogart movies and two Alfred Hitchcock movies just to get close to ten.
Last edited by LiamCasey on December 7th, 2022, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

1.M
2.Mad Love
3.Der Verlorene
4.The Maltese Falcon
5.The Mask of Dimitrios
6.Tales of Terror
7.Three Strangers
8.The Man Who Knew Too Much
9.Stranger on the Third Floor
10.The Verdict
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Three Strangers, perhaps not the best but most unusual. I remember thinking that Lorre and Greenstreet could have switched roles a thought not original with me, both played against type (if I remember correctly). Though not intended as in a gimmick, it just turned out that way, I believe.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country