"Old School" Animation vs. Modern Animation

EP Millstone

"Old School" Animation vs. Modern Animation

Post by EP Millstone »

What is your preference, old-fashioned (hand-drawn) animation (à la Disney, Warner Bros. Max Fleischer, et al.) or modern (computer-generated) animation (a la Pixar, Dreamworks, and Disney), and why?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Lomm
Administrator

Re: "Old School" Animation vs. Modern Animation

Post by Lomm »

Hand drawn by a mile. While I've enjoyed many of the Pixar and other computer animation features over the years, they all tend to look the same. There's a place for some computer animation in "hand drawn" as well that works. Witness the Lion King, Emperor's New Groove, Beauty and the Beast, and so on. They have CGI elements but they blend seamlessly with otherwise unique looking animation.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:36 pm . . . There's a place for some computer animation in "hand drawn" as well that works. Witness the Lion King, Emperor's New Groove, Beauty and the Beast, and so on. They have CGI elements but they blend seamlessly with otherwise unique looking animation.
I agree!

Two Animated Favorites of Mine
(the first combining hand-drawn and computer-generated animation)

Fantasia 2000

Soul
sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:36 pm Hand drawn by a mile. While I've enjoyed many of the Pixar and other computer animation features over the years, they all tend to look the same. There's a place for some computer animation in "hand drawn" as well that works. Witness the Lion King, Emperor's New Groove, Beauty and the Beast, and so on. They have CGI elements but they blend seamlessly with otherwise unique looking animation.
I totally agree about the computer animation tending to look the same. I remember one scene specifically: In MOANA, the scene in which she feels defeated then is visited by her grandmother's spirit and dives into the ocean to find Te Fiti's heart. She has a look of determination n her face as she swims further down to collect the heart, and that face looks exactly like Nemo's face when he was also determined in FINDING NEMO . I always found that funny!
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub: :smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Primal is phenomenal tv. I really enjoyed it.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hand-drawn definitely, although I did notice that Disney 's most recent attempt at hand-drawn, a short sequence in 2018's Mary Poppins Returns, did not look like it was up to the old Disney standard.

Sleeping Beauty might be the best-looking animated film ever made.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I prefer the original method over the drawn method:

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: December 8th, 2022, 2:22 am I prefer the original method over the drawn method:
You mean you prefer animated corpses to animated hand-drawn characters?

Mest' kinematograficheskogo operatora (The Cameraman's Revenge) is a remarkable achievement. To me, the stop-motion animation by its creator, Ladislas Starevich (Wladyslaw Starewicz), is more fluid and more advanced than the stop-motion animation of American contemporary Willis H. O'Brien whose first animated movie, The Dinosaur and the Missing Link: A Prehistoric Tragedy, was produced three years after The Camerman's Revenge.

Thank you, Masha, for the introduction to the truly astounding artistry of a pioneer in stop-motion animation!
Masha

Post by Masha »

EP Millstone wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:16 pm
You mean you prefer animated corpses to animated hand-drawn characters?
The choice of bodies over pictures is a no-brainer.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

EP Millstone wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:52 pm
Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:36 pm . . . There's a place for some computer animation in "hand drawn" as well that works. Witness the Lion King, Emperor's New Groove, Beauty and the Beast, and so on. They have CGI elements but they blend seamlessly with otherwise unique looking animation.
I agree!

Two Animated Favorites of Mine
(the first combining hand-drawn and computer-generated animation)

Fantasia 2000

Soul
This is my personal favorite animated short. It inspired lots of animation which came after it.

Superjail is one which comes to mind instantaneously. Both cartoons are Max Fleischer era Betty Boop inspired animation but the joke is the over the top sexual and violent content.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LostHorizons wrote: December 9th, 2022, 6:53 pm This is my personal favorite animated short. It inspired lots of animation which came after it . . .

Superjail is one which comes to mind instantaneously. Both cartoons are Max Fleischer era Betty Boop inspired animation but the joke is the over the top sexual and violent content.
Quasi at the Quackadero was a staple on the "midnight movie" circuit in Los Angeles, California during the 1970s.

Frankly, I find Sally Cruikshank's artistry creepy -- the stuff of nightmares! Ditto Fleischer Studios cartoons -- all silent era and 1930s 'toons actually. The way characters were designed. The way they moved. The soundtracks. Everything about them creeps me out. I once had a bad dream in the style of a Paul Terry production and still find watching early (pre-TV) Terrytoons a spine-tingling experience.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
sagebrush