SPOILERS!

KayFrancis

Re: SPOILERS!

Post by KayFrancis »

While performing for the troops, they were being bombed by the enemy but they continued to perform anyway and got a standing ovation
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

Could it be "The Glenn Miller Story" with James Stewart and June Allyson? They also played a married couple in both "The Stratton Story" and "Strategic Air Command". "String Of Pearls" was the name of a song that was a hit for the Miller Band.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Thanks Miles. Of course it's The Glenn Miller Story , starring
James Stewart and June Allyson.. String of Pearls was the 2nd clue. So glad you played this round. Your turn.
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

Thanks Kay. This next one may be familiar.

A wife plays records while reflecting on her married life. She is about to leave her husband, who has fallen into a deep depression after they lost
their adopted daughter to a fatal illness. Just before she is about to go out of the door, the phone rings. It is a woman from the orphanage saying
that a two year old boy has just become available for adoption. The wife and her husband smile and embrace, then they walk out together.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I know the film, but will hold off, hoping for more participation
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

kingrat wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:33 pm Penny Serenade

Next: A shy girl with no name marries the man of her dreams, even though his ancestral home will go up in smoke.
Could it be this lady (i.e. The Second Mrs. de Winter) in a film named for the first Mrs. de Winter?

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Car goes over a cliff. Camera pans up, eponymous character plays the banjo.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: February 15th, 2023, 9:56 am Car goes over a cliff. Camera pans up, eponymous character plays the banjo.
The unused original filmed ending to Deliverance, maybe???

(...naaah, that can't be it...the kid playin' the banjo isn't named Deliverance in that one...that should've been my first clue here, huh)
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Swithin wrote: February 15th, 2023, 9:56 am Car goes over a cliff. Camera pans up, eponymous character plays the banjo.
Sounds like Harold and Maude
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

It is indeed the glorious Harold and Maude! I think I was the original cult member, having seen the film on its first run at the Loews Paradise.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Thanks Swithin. We saw so many great movies at that Lowes Paradise on Fordham Rd. We may have even sat next to each other lol. Who knows maybe you, me and Bronxgirl may have been there at the same time. My HS graduation was held in that beautiful theater.

Next: A man works his way back to America on a ship doing menial labor. In the pouring rain he is lifting heavy cargo even though he could have gone back comfortably as a pasaenger
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

THE RAZOR'S EDGE

Next: The title character and a new bride flee the church where the marriage was held and board a bus, where they sit in awkward silence.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

HoldenIsHere wrote: February 16th, 2023, 3:58 pm Next: The title character and a new bride flee the church where the marriage was held and board a bus, where they sit in awkward silence.
The Graduate

Next: After seeing his biker buddy shot by a pair of rednecks in a pickup truck, Captain America speeds down the road on his chopper to get help, but gets blown away himself . . . and individual freedom goes down in flames.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields