SPOILERS!

Swithin

Re: SPOILERS!

Post by Swithin »

Today's clues:

There's no dialogue at the very opening and closing of the film, only the movie's original song, which was nominated for an Oscar (and IMHO would have been a better choice for the Oscar than the winning song).

Two movies later, the lead would make the most famous movie of her career. (Someone who posts on this board has said that famous movie is their favorite movie of all time.)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

skimpole wrote: February 20th, 2024, 7:55 pm The Sterile Cuckoo?
That's right skimpole. A few years later, Liza Minelli made Cabaret, which is the favorite film of Bagel.

I saw The Sterile Cuckoo when it came out. I was very young and found it to be a sweet story about first love. I looked at some of it recently and thought, Pookie Adams is a PSYCHO!

Your thread.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The current technical issue had screwed up this game, since Skimpole was the last poster to pose the clues, and they're all gone. I'm bringing this up to the top, so that he can start again.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

1. A protagonist (the movie has two) recognizes a chauffeur as one of the heavies he encountered earlier in the movie, and gets on a motorcycle to pursue him
2. A cover of a Sam Cooke song plays over the credits
3.The actors who play the romantic couple in the movie later married, had children, and divorced
4. The protagonist in #1 is a member of a reasonably well respected comedy troupe
5. The actor who plays a grocery manager appeared in three Altman films, two of them fairly well admired even today.

And now

6. The actor in #5 was, in a completely different movie, the object of one of the most striking uses of "I've always loved you" in the sound era
7. The movie all these clues refer to is a science fiction movie
8. As a consequence of the 'macguffin" of the movie, two of the villains are turned into midgets
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

1. A protagonist (the movie has two) recognizes a chauffeur as one of the heavies he encountered earlier in the movie, and gets on a motorcycle to pursue him

Oh wait. Maybe he gets into a car to pursue him. My knowledge could be a bit better.
Last edited by skimpole on March 3rd, 2024, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

First of all here skimpole...WELCOME BACK!!!

And second of all here, and even with all these excellent clues of yours here, I'm sorry to say I STILL have no idea which movie this might be?!!!

(...and btw, sorry to hear about all your lost postings...that sucks)
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

Dargo wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 1:18 am even with all these excellent clues of yours here, I'm sorry to say I STILL have no idea which movie this might be?!!!
Let's try this one. First, here are the first nine clues:

1. A protagonist (the movie has two) recognizes a chauffeur as one of the heavies he encountered earlier in the movie, and sets off in hot pursuit
3.The actors who play the romantic couple in the movie later married, had children, and divorced
4. The protagonist in #1 is a member of a reasonably well respected comedy troupe
5. The actor who plays a grocery manager appeared in three Altman films, two of them fairly well admired even today.
6. The actor in #5 was, in a completely different movie, the object of one of the most striking uses of "I've always loved you" in the sound era
8. As a consequence of the 'macguffin" of the movie, two of the villains are turned into midgets
9. The director is known for making movies which combine science fiction and comic elements, such as this one.

And now

10. Although in no way a sequel or a remake, our movie clearly got its idea from an earlier movie made 21 years earlier that got five oscar nominations and won two of them.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

1. A protagonist (the movie has two) recognizes a chauffeur as one of the heavies he encountered earlier in the movie, and sets off in hot pursuit
9. The director is known for making movies which combine science fiction and comic elements, such as this one.
10. Although in no way a sequel or a remake, our movie clearly got its idea from an earlier movie made 21 years earlier that got five oscar nominations and won two of them.

And now

11. The basic concept of the movie was used in an Archer season finale and in a Doctor Who episode where the Doctor got a new companion.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

12. Also this movie (not the movie mentioned in #10, or in #6 for that matter) did win an oscar.