SPOILERS!

EP Millstone

Re: SPOILERS!

Post by EP Millstone »

KayFrancis wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:30 pm Before he goes to the police station, he had recognized the checkered coat and scarf a man was wearing when he was having a drink at a bar and that man was sitting next to him at the bar.
I can't believe that the Noiraholics 'round here haven't answered your challenge.

D.O.A. is the flick in which Frank Bigelow (Edmond O'Brien) reports his own murder to the police.

Next: He kisses her. She opens her eyes, and he realizes that she is no longer the girl that she used to be.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: March 1st, 2023, 3:58 pm Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)?
Bingo, Swithin! You're up!
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

EP Millstone wrote: March 1st, 2023, 3:46 pm
KayFrancis wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:30 pm Before he goes to the police station, he had recognized the checkered coat and scarf a man was wearing when he was having a drink at a bar and that man was sitting next to him at the bar.
I can't believe that the Noiraholics 'round here haven't answered your challenge.

D.O.A. is the flick in which Frank Bigelow (Edmond O'Brien) reports his own murder to the police.

Next: He kisses her. She opens her eyes, and he realizes that she is no longer the girl that she used to be.
Correct EP, it is DOA and the clues were there so I' m also surprised it took 3 clues to get one of the most famous noirs.
Good work.

I just logged on, Swithin already
answered your post, Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

A sick man collapses. A woman faints. The sick man utters a prayer. The woman who fainted revives for a moment, utters the man's name. The man says two words in Italian. The film ends with a few strains of a 19th century sentimental American song.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Swithin wrote: March 1st, 2023, 7:04 pm A sick man collapses. A woman faints. The sick man utters a prayer. The woman who fainted revives for a moment, utters the man's name. The man says two words in Italian. The film ends with a few strains of a 19th century sentimental American song.
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama?
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:05 pm
Swithin wrote: March 1st, 2023, 7:04 pm A sick man collapses. A woman faints. The sick man utters a prayer. The woman who fainted revives for a moment, utters the man's name. The man says two words in Italian. The film ends with a few strains of a 19th century sentimental American song.
No, that's too much ham. The film I'm going for is more mayo.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Swithin wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:19 pm
LawrenceA wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:05 pm
No, that's too much ham. The film I'm going for is more mayo.
Hint: Try capitalizing one of the words in my last sentence.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm . . . The film I'm going for is more mayo.
Swithin wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm Hint: Try capitalizing one of the words in my last sentence.
I'm not up on Virginia Mayo to . . .

Let me rephrase that statement.

I haven't seen many of Virginia Mayo's movies to know the specific flick in your challenge. More clues, please.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:13 pm
Swithin wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm . . . The film I'm going for is more mayo.
Swithin wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm Hint: Try capitalizing one of the words in my last sentence.

I haven't seen many of Virginia Mayo's movies to know the specific flick in your challenge. More clues, please.
Well, you picked the right word to capitalize, but got the wrong Mayo. Here's another hint: the film's female character has a name which is also the name of a hat; and her boyfriend is played by an actor who laughs himself to death in a movie made a year later.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Swithin wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 10:05 pm
EP Millstone wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:13 pm

Well, you picked the right word to capitalize, but got the wrong Mayo. Here's another hint: the film's female character has a name which is also the name of a hat; and her boyfriend is played by an actor who laughs himself to death in a movie made a year later.
Some further, esoteric hints:

The film is based on a hugely popular 19th century novel. The title of the novel is the name of the film's female character, but the title of the film is the name of the film's lead male character. The novel was written by the grandfather of a writer whose novel was adapted into an Academy Award winning Best Picture (but that was several years after the film in question, based on the novel that her grandfather wrote).
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Is this Svengali, based on the book Trilby by George du Maurier, the grandfather of Rebecca author Daphne du Maurier?
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 1:20 am Is this Svengali, based on the book Trilby by George du Maurier, the grandfather of Rebecca author Daphne du Maurier?
It is indeed Svengali (1931), directed by Archie Mayo and starring John Barrymore in the eponymous role, with Marian Marsh as Trilby and Bramwell Fletcher (who laughed himself to death in The Mummy the following year) as Billie, Trilby's boyfriend. Louis Alberni is Gecko. A great, moody film with a brilliant ending. Svengali collapses as he's conducting Trilby, who is singing "Ben Bolt" on stage. She faints. Svengali's dying words: "God grant me in death what you denied me in life: the woman I love." Billie rushes up to Trilby, who awakens from her faint, looks at Billie, then utters the word: "Svengali," and dies. Svengali says "Avanti, signori" and dies. A few bars of "Ben Bolt" are played, the movie ends.

LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

After a big crash, a clown gives a blood transfusion.
Watching until the end.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

LawrenceA wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 12:49 pm After a big crash, a clown gives a blood transfusion.
Jimmy Stewart as the clown in disguise ( he's was a dr. but is hiding from the law ) in The Greatest Show On Earth ??