Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
EP Millstone

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 8:38 pm Thompson, with respect, we are not here to rebuke other members' behavior. One has the option of reporting any posts that one may feel is violation of some kind. Even a mere DISLIKE button is ill-advised. If someone dislikes and disagrees with a post of mine it would be nice to at least knows why. To click a dislike button is a cheap way to simply disagree. It's a hit-and-run mentality. It is also passive-aggressive. And it would result into contentiousness, dissension, and discontent. Two cents.
MEGA AGREEMENT!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Hibi wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 9:59 am
laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
My record for LIKES in a single post was 17 at TCM. It was a dry comment targeting the infamous "enfant terrible."

MissWonderly3 (Where are you, BTW?) posted something about Asta that garnered 23 likes.

I don't keep track, but TCM published the list (that I visited maybe two or three times in all the years). The highest was was well into the 20s.

For the record, I don't think that I have experienced any orgiastic dances of enthusiasm.

:smiley_happygroup:

17 Likes??? What was the post about?
The implication is that it was a rebuke of Topbilled/ Jarrod MacDonald who was the frequent object of (deserved) hatred and ridicule on the old board.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I’ve heard that passive-aggressive thing before. I got to think on that. I gotta a dog that’s aggressive, it’s his nature. No passive in him at all. My bartender calls me a narcissist, which seems to be the thing to call people nowadays, and next year passive-aggressive and narcissist will be out and some other corn name or phrase will be in. But my advice to the younger folks who are looking for advice is to stay aggressive, don’t lose the animal in you.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Passive-Aggressive behavior is well documented and has a specific medical definition. It could be looked up for advantages.

When someone is mad at you and you ask why, the passive-aggressive person will clam up and not tell you and possibly with a stiff lip. It's a tool to use against you. That's what a DISLIKE button will do. Someone will attack you and will not tell you why. Like a child would do. It's extremely immature behavior. If a DISLIKE button is allowed, we'll all be soon in the sandbox.

Being an animal is 'aggressive' behavior, obviously.

The way to get around both of those is to be 'assertive." That was what assertive training was all about. Assertive Training has gone through a period where it was maligned and made fun of. I don't know where it is now, probably forgotten (given the lack of civility level these days). But learning to be assertive instead of either aggressive or passive-aggressive is a good thing. They should teach this in high school (providing we still have high schools) by teachers (providing we still have teachers) to students (providing we still have students).
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Any news on the 'LIKE' button option??

was "mr6666" @ TCM
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ziggy6708a wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:25 pm Any news on the 'LIKE' button option??
Lomm,

If you are unable to add a Like button -- or if you simply don't want to -- please let us know.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The mods have pretty much said they were going to add a "Like" button; it just required a bit of research. My impression is that the mods are decent, committed, honourable people and that we can depend upon them. Here are comments from two other mods (movieman and Sue) on the subject:

After the holidays and over the next few weeks Lomm will do some research to see how we can integrate a like button into the forums. It is a one-man tech crew so as time allows he will see what he can find. Hang in there.

Just popping in here to reiterate what movieman1957 posted earlier in the thread. Lomm is definitely looking into the issue to see how we can best integrate the 'like button' feature. Thank you all for your input, and many thanks to Lomm. :smiley_clap:
SueX2

So they seem to have moved from "whether" to do it, to "how" to do it; and I have faith that Lomm is looking into it and will get it done.
Last edited by Swithin on January 21st, 2023, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Swithin wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:56 pm The mods have pretty much said they were going to add a "Like" button; it just required a bit of research. My impression is that the mods are decent, committed, honourable people and that we can depend upon them. Here are comments from two other mods (movieman and Sue) on the subject.

After the holidays and over the next few weeks Lomm will do some research to see how we can integrate a like button into the forums. It is a one-man tech crew so as time allows he will see what he can find. Hang in there.

Just popping in here to reiterate what movieman1957 posted earlier in the thread. Lomm is definitely looking into the issue to see how we can best integrate the 'like button' feature. Thank you all for your input, and many thanks to Lomm. :smiley_clap:
SueX2

So they seem to have moved from "whether" to do it, to "how" to do it; and I have faith that Lomm is looking in to it and will get it done.

LIKE & TY
:smilie_happy_thumbup: :smiley_worship:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

That is correct. I need some time on a weekend to sit down and set it all up. My issue is that I'm seldom online much at all on the weekends lol. Rest assured that it will happen, eventually. During the week I'm not using my home PC to access the forum often, and I can't do it from a tablet or my work PC.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Lomm wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:15 am That is correct. I need some time on a weekend to sit down and set it all up. My issue is that I'm seldom online much at all on the weekends lol. Rest assured that it will happen, eventually. During the week I'm not using my home PC to access the forum often, and I can't do it from a tablet or my work PC.
LIKE & TY...
:smiley_cheer: :smiley_worship:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Lomm wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:15 am That is correct. I need some time on a weekend to sit down and set it all up. My issue is that I'm seldom online much at all on the weekends lol. Rest assured that it will happen, eventually. During the week I'm not using my home PC to access the forum often, and I can't do it from a tablet or my work PC.
ANY NEWS?? :smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Color me Cynical. But I don't think that a Like button is going to happen.

phpBB References

Like Button

Thanks for Posts

Like Button Post

3.2, 3.2 Thanks for Posts

ALERT! Extensions in the following forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.

Post Reactions, Thanks, Like
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: February 11th, 2023, 7:08 pm Color me Cynical. But I don't think that a Like button is going to happen.

phpBB References

Like Button

Thanks for Posts

Like Button Post

3.2, 3.2 Thanks for Posts

ALERT! Extensions in the following forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.

Post Reactions, Thanks, Like
Well, you know what they say, don't ya EPM?...

(...I haven't given up hope about this, anyway...in fact, I'll betcha we get one these buttons by the time the Arizona Cardinals win a Super Bowl) LOL
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I bet that Lomm is going to surprise us with something like this on Tuesday: